Thread: 70 COPO
View Single Post
Old 07-03-2006, 03:40 PM

Thanked 1,231 Times in 576 Posts
Default Re: 70 COPO

Chuck,

I am glad I sent you the M/I Article, as I cannot get it to post up properly. As for conversions, It can be done and I have little doubt was done to more than a few 70's if people wanted to update the car's look some time later in life.

The conversion cars are pretty easy to detect by part number and fitment of the parts. The later spoilers fit quite a bit better whereas the original Piggins rush production COPO packages did not. Production was limited starting in mid may. So I guess if someone wants to go to the trouble to research and then locate the correct COPO spoiler parts, locate a Z28 with the correct build time frame, then proceed to ruin the original rear quarters by drilling holes in them for the end caps-then I guess you could clone one. Not much different than any other clone or fake at that point, as the real ones with documentation or owner history will be the "real deal" to the people who have them and for prospective buyers.

Here is a photo of my car taken by the original owner in 1971.

Ohio plate SP 395 is special. SP=State Patrol 395 Trooper's Badge number. Car was purchased new at Dailey's in Erie PA.

Phil