View Single Post
Old 12-31-2021, 05:06 PM
Yenko Contributing Member

Thanked 2,952 Times in 1,381 Posts
Default Need carbureter input

We don't seem to have a "performance" specific forum, so I'll ask here, since it is a Chevrolet I have.
I had a 496 built several years ago and I provided the builder with an 800 cfm Edelbrock carb for it. He said it would run lean at WOT and recommended getting a better carb, but didn't recommend a Holley, as they are too finicky, still. His recommendation was a Quick Fuel, but the brand was bought by Holley shortly thereafter and I stopped looking at them. Since the engine sat for several years and is now in a car I hope to drive before I die, I need to get back to this before SCR 25...
I am looking at 850 cfm carbs on Summit, as they seem to have the largest variety, and like the Proform 67214. The builder encouraged mechanical secondaries, as I have a 4 speed trans and an electric choke would be nice. All my Holley's thru the 70's were mechanical, but with manual choke and, yes, I could live with one again.

I'm also curious about the FST RT-X series carbs, as these 2 models fit better in a budget. The car will be 95% street driven but I don't want it to lean out and damage the engine for the occasional WOT blast or on the drag strip.

Any experience with these, or other dependable carbs will be greatly appreciated.

IF the new Holley's are improved to eliminate re-tuning every time the temperature and humidity change, I would still consider that. When I was in my 20's, I didn't mind constantly changing jets and power valves, but I'm a ways beyond wanting to do that now.
Thanks guys !
1967 Camaro ss/rs
1938 Business coupe, street rod
2000 FXSTS, original owner, 13k miles
Click here to view all the pictures posted in this thread...