View Single Post
Old 01-03-2002, 03:48 AM

Default Re: 68 Camaro D80 front spoiler

Bob, William is correct that there were two different versions of spoilers used in 68. However I have yet to see any documentation as to the implementation date of what most refer to the second design. Now William may have some documentation that I don't have so he could prove this wrong. The 68 AIM does not show the D80 diagram but it is referenced in the index and the Z28 section. The front spoiler mounting for the first design is only shown in the 67 AIM as he states. The first design attaches to the valence by 1/8" sheet metal screws and it is about 3-1/2" high and hangs straight down. The second design uses 3 braces (one ctr and one each end) and is 4-1/2" high and slopes from top to bottom towards the front.

I have been researching this for years and have found that both designs were already developed by GM by November of 67 if not sooner. My theory is the first design was production only while the one with the braces was used for Trans Am race cars only. There are a number of pictures that exist showing the spoiler with the braces on Trans Am cars before Dec. 67. As a matter of fact, the December 67 issue of Hot Rod shows Smokey Yunicks 67 Camaro with the front spoiler with braces at Daytona. This may possibly be a prototype but there are pictures of the Penske car and other Camaro Trans Am racers with this spoiler before Dec 67. Who knows, they may all have been prototypes.

My Dad ordered his 68 SS396 in Sept 67 and ordered it with spoilers by giving them the RPO that was listed in a car magazine. The dealer said there was no such option but they ordered it anyway. The car did not arrive until Dec 14, 1967 and it came with the short front spoiler. Three months for delivery, could the spoiler have held it up? He said that it was wrong and showed them a picture from the Dec 67 HOT ROD showing the large front spoiler. They checked the parts books and only showed the one. Well he took it and over the next year he replaced it 5 times, Mom could never miss those curbs. When he went to order the sixth one, sometime in Nov 68, the parts guy asked which one, with or without braces. He ordered the one with braces and that was on the car from then on. Mom said she could "feel" it hit and she would stop before it did any damage. He was a salesman for that dealer at that time and he said that until the 69's came out, he never saw a production car with the second design spoiler, but that doesn't mean they don't exist...............RatPack.........

The Following User Says Thank You to Rat_Pack For This Useful Post:
NorCam (01-18-2022)