View Single Post
Old 05-20-2019, 10:56 PM
Yenko Contributing Member

Baldwin Motion did offer options to build Phase I, II & III supercars. In the full size 1968 catalog on the inside cover is "A Message From The Baldwin-Motion Performance Combine".
In that message it states, "The sky's the limit. Besides our programmed Phase I, II & III street/strip cars, we will build on special order blueprinted motors and ready-to-run race cars." None of the following pages really acknowledge the Phase I & II options, but they were options since you could order any car anyway you wanted it. It seems they only spelled out exactly what options were in a Phase III car. I was told of a Phase II 1968 Camaro that is not an openly known car, but until documentation is verified it is just that.
Phase III was the whole package and could be added to a 302 powered Z/28, SS396 or the SS427.
To answer the original question posted, there are documented Phase III SS396 and SS427 Chevelles, but I have not seen any documented Phase I or II. But, that doesn't mean they aren't out there. What of the old CARS article chronicling the 1969 Chevelle that Motion Performance did the intake, carb and header work? Would that be Phase I? Need to dig up the article and reread it.
Attached is a photo from inside the 1968 catalog and then one from the 1969 catalog for some additional reference.
Attached Images

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hawkeye For This Useful Post:
PeteLeathersac (05-20-2019), z28mike (05-22-2019)