View Single Post
Old 01-20-2013, 05:44 PM
Yenko Contributing Member

Thanked 2,396 Times in 758 Posts
Default Re: NJ Steves Project Pit Viper...

It's been a while that this car has been serving as my workbench in the garage. I decided to do a mid-winter engine startup on everything in the garage today.

I reconnected the battery and nothing happened. I checked the voltage and the battery had 2 volts. Hmmmmm? [img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/hmmm.gif[/img]

I swear I had just bought this battery before I put the car into storage. I checked the date. July 2006 on the battery. Has it really been 6-1/2 years since I last drove this thing?

Well, I charged the battery and hooked a set of jumper cables up to my truck and she started right up. (Every year I drain the fuel and replace it with 21 gallons of new gas with Stabil in it, so the gas was fresh).

I let her run, in gear, up on the jackstands for a half hour. I filled the tires with air and then took her down off the stands and went for a drive. I forgot how unconfortable and scary these things are. It'll do 60 in first gear!

My pre-teen, engine-building son finally got to see the car actually out from under the cover and was rather amazed. The last time he saw the car, he was in nursury school.

When I got back, I swept out the entire garage and backed her in, put her back up on the stands and covered her up. Just think, in another 5 years I can get those (25+ year old) vintage license plates for her!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to njsteve For This Useful Post:
dykstra (04-15-2024), SS427 (10-09-2019)