View Single Post
Old 01-04-2024, 05:44 PM
Yenko Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurt S View Post
And I assume it's coded 68Y534 or such?
Fast forwarding a hint of what my original transmission code is and other details of it, which will contain the original torque converter & markings, is yet to come? At the point where I have been posting is my account of learning the mystery behind a DH prepared Nova I bought through Knowles Chevrolet after reading about the available 396-427 Nova with an experimental 3 speed automatic being offered by DHPC. As mentioned before, I did not know there would be more to the implication of Fred Gibb and the 50 he had previously advertised? Only when the engine was taken to be refreshed, was that in our discussion did he put the bug into my ear, that there was more information that I did not know about? Evidently he knew where DH & who the supplier was? The only information he gave me was, that a bag of worms might be opened with the origin behind the Nova and engine he was working on? That was still a mystery of what he was talking about, but later on with the memory of Fred Gibb's sponsorship and memory of the 68 Nova race car with DH's name on the back, the search would begin in hopes that Fred would have knowledge of what the mystery was to reveal?

Kurt, in getting back to your question of the code, I have a document before me now that I am looking at from Hydramatic, a Division of General Motors Corporation, Willow Run, Ypsilenti, Michigan, that was provided to me by Frank P. It contains the 69 400 transmission codes. While the information you have contained in your quest for knowledge into the transmissions the COPO Gibb Novas has some information associated with the transmission. The 534 you have is on my tag, but not part of the code. I believe this is the Julian Date of June? I also believe William may have the day in an earlier post? AS far as being the code, all doesn't match with mine. In this document from Hydramatic that Frank supplied to me, all the codes are of two letters, starting with applications associated with different versions of Chevrolet. CA onward to CX, with the CX being the last version indicated to be introduced or added on the date of 10-25-68. It also contains the codes for Rolls Royce (R), Opel (E) and Kaiser (K). The (C) referring to Chevrolet.

With a combined effort of several different people and their cars, of Course not to forget Fred Gibb And his Family, we have been able to uncover a lot of information about them . My intentions only are to walk through the process of how I would later find out about the mystery of the car I own? Just keeping in mind, I did not know for a long time, there was still a mystery that later would be revealed?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to copo-2 For This Useful Post:
dykstra (01-05-2024), PeteLeathersac (01-04-2024)