View Single Post
Old 08-15-2018, 07:50 PM

Where do I start. I finished installing the interior Saturday night, I started the car and realized the dash back lights were not working. Sunday, I removed the driver seat and reached up behind the dash cluster to reset each light socket and got all the lights to work but never started the car. Monday night I decide to charge the AC. I pulled a vacuum and all was good. When I went to start the car, I noticed all the gauges were pinned with the generator light on. Huh I must have disturbed a ground. So, I continue to try and charge the AC I can only get 1 can of refrigerant into the system. I realize the compressor clutch wasn’t engaged. I have good pressure on the gauges so I precede to start troubleshooting. I found the compressor relay wasn’t being powered from the vintage air ECU. A call to vintage air yesterday revealed a bad ECU. A replacement is on its way.

Last night, I decide to look at the gauge issue while running. To see if I have a ground issue I take a jumper lead and ground the side of the cluster. Working with only a couple of inches, the lead moves and touches the positive stud on one of the gauges. With a blink of an eye, that circuit board trace disappeared. Now the dash assembly must come back out of the car which is a big pain in the butt! Who designed this! Still wondering why, the gauges don’t work, I start tracing the circuit board back to the wiring harness plug. This car originally didn’t have the rally gauge package but the owner wanted to add it. I thought I traced all the wires out between the two and thought they were the same. Nope, the none gauge cluster and rally gauge cluster are not pinned the same. It’s not plug and play. The Generator wire and gas tank pins are reversed. I’m pretty sure this will solve that issue. So now I’m waiting for an ECU and a circuit board. The wheels and tires are on order. Other than putting these couple of things back together, testing, installing a radio, and finish charging the AC system the car is just about done.
Attached Images