View Single Post
Old 12-21-2006, 06:26 AM

Default Re: 1973 Brewster Green SD-455 Trans Am Super Duty

Howard, I'll be glad to give you a few insights on the Super Duty. If you'll visit my website, there's a bit more information there, but more importantly, a few links that gives much greater detail on what these cars are.

Originally envisioned to be produced in the summer of '72, the production of the cars were halted, primarily because of failing EPA minimums, and secondly, GM brass (the car was faster than the Corvette). These engines were assembled in the performance shops at Pontiac racing and the Engineers stayed with the engine development, got the EPA to pass the engine in March of '73, and finally, in June of '73, very late in the model year, they began deliveries to dealerships.

However, it was so late in the model year, that only 252 cars were produced.

As the muscle car era was dying off, Pontiac stayed with it, and it turned out to be the fastest American Car produced until the 1984 Corvette.

The Super Duty program lasted one more year, with 900 or so cars being produced in '74, in a new body style. The program was subsequently dropped.

This car is in a One Year Only color, Brewster Green. All TA's prior to '73 were either white or blue. All TA's in 74 and on were either Red, White or Blue, and eventually other colors. There are currently 34 Brewster Green Super Duty's in the SD-455 registry which has been receiving cars since the late 80's.

Pontiacs have a few niche areas of rare cars that are quickly catching the Boss429's and Hemi Cuda's, namely the RAIV equipment, some rare Judges, and the Super Dutys.

The reason there is so little knowledge about them, is there is so few of them, and they rarely turn up for sale. There have been a few White and red cars for sale recently, mostly unrestored. A few '74's as well, but I could not find a Brewster SD car that had sold at auction, or otherwise within the last 5 years to use as a reference for interested parties. I do, however, have knowledge of several private sales in the recent years.

I hope this is helpful information.
Greg