Thread: 1969 ZL1 Vette?
View Single Post
Old 12-21-2018, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tracker1 View Post
GULF car docs
I first met John in the mid/late 90’s when he brought his beast to the Autumn Leaf Festival in Clarion, PA. John was up here because he had friends / ties to the area. On his windshield show card he had written “1 of 7 built” which of course led me to strike up a conversation with him having known for a long time that “2 built” was the accepted amount. He told me of how he physically stood in a holding lot looking at each one of the 7 (his included) before his was shipped to the dealer. I don’t remember the particulars of where the holding lot was (but remember envisioning it being the Corvette plant as we talked). I was able to get John’s number from a friend of mine (who mounted the 1st set of slicks for it at the Quaker State Service Station in Clarion) and shared that with Rob Clary who called John and discussed the car quite extensively.
As for the Yenko mention I think there is some confusion there. John’s father owned a large trucking company and all of his truck tractors were ordered through the Yenko dealership. Having purchased as much as his dad did put the Mahr family in pretty good standing at and with Yenko. Why it came through West Penn I don’t recall. I know that my (and John’s) friend Jimmy Stewart (not THAT Jimmy Stewart) was with him when the car arrived. John took Jimmy in quite a few harrowing rides from day 1.
I have no reason to doubt John, Jimmy and Burr who were around the MO ZL1 from the very 1st day.
[email protected] PSMCDR 9/14
1974 Dodge Challenger Rallye 360 quad black
14.36@92 Factory Stock division of F.A.S.T.
**SOLD** 1970 Road Runner Superbird 440-6 4spd EB5

Last edited by PLATINUM6BBL; 12-21-2018 at 11:52 AM.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to PLATINUM6BBL For This Useful Post:
markinnaples (06-20-2023), PeteLeathersac (12-21-2018), Tracker1 (12-21-2018)