View Single Post
Old 01-22-2022, 04:27 PM
Yenko Contributing Member

Folks,
I thought I should add some clarification to this discussion so people aren't afraid to move cars across the border. Getting the car back into the US was not going to be difficult or costly. I called Homeland Security and got clarification that I could export the car back to the US with a previous title and a Bill of Sale. The car was properly imported to Canada with all applicable taxes and fees paid. However, the car has never been registered to actually put a license on it in Canada and has only been driven on short term permits.

Where this appears to get tricky is what is required in a potential buyers state to actually title the car in a new owners name in the state in question. Some states appear to require an actual registration from Canada as well as a previous title and a Bill of Sale. To get a registration (I have previous titles and a BOS) I could go register and put plates on the car on Monday but would incur provincial sales tax of about 6K CAD so I would have to add that to the cost of the car, or absorb it, which I am not prepared to do.

This additional cost, plus shipping, plus the applicable state tax got pretty significant.

Any car that has been registered in Canada, or was going into a state that would accept a Bill of Sale and previous titles to issue a title in a new owners name, would only incur the cost of the state taxes and shipping, of course.

I hope this information helps with the process. I have exported a car to the US before, so am familiar with that process, but am not familiar with the rules in various states.

Wayoutz, I hope you don't mind me sharing a bit of information publicly about our discussion, but I didn't want people on either side of the border to think it is terribly difficult to import/export a musclecar. An EPA Form 3250 must be completed in advance and a vehicle that is 21 years old and in unmodified configuration is exempted from EPA regs under code E on the form. There are many other exemptions on this form for things like race cars etc. In addition, Form 7501 needs to be completed by Homeland Security at the border. A shipper will handle all this for a buyer but I don't know how much they charge for that part of the process.

From my perspective, the process to get the car across the US border is fairly easy. I've never personally imported a car into Canada, but I believe that process is fairly easy to navigate as well. Again, using a shipper takes care of all this, but comes with a cost.
Thx
Oliver