Go Back   The Supercar Registry > General Discussion > Supercar/Musclecar Discussion

Old 05-14-2010, 07:12 AM

Default Old Realiable

History at it's Finest!!! [img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/beers.gif[/img]
[img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/[/img]
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Dave-Stricklers-1968-NHRA-National-Champ-Old-Reliable-/280505726472?
Attachments - The Supercar Registry 25029.jpg 25028.jpg
O Garage vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.
Click here to view all the pictures posted in this thread...
Old 05-14-2010, 05:51 PM

Default Re: Old Realiable

yow!!! $549k BIN ...

Old 05-14-2010, 07:30 PM

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: al8apex</div><div class="ubbcode-body">yow!!! $549k BIN ... </div></div>

I'm weak. [img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/crazy.gif[/img]

Wayne
Old 05-16-2010, 09:55 PM

wasn't this at Mecum some time ago and the bid was way more than the BIN price but was turned down....just curious to see if anyone else remembers ?
Old 05-17-2010, 01:53 AM

I kind of remember high bid of $450K at Mecum.
Old 05-18-2010, 02:58 AM

Talked to a Friend that worked with Bill Jenkins at the time this car was around He does remember it
As We Talked he said it was kind of sad that today you hear a lot about Carroll Shelby But it seams all is forgotten about Bill Jenkins
When you come to think about it he is right it seems like bill never got his fair dues At his prime I think no one could get more H/P out of a small block chevy as he did
I remember years ago back in the late 60s going to Acto and watch Bill Jenkins in the pits working on his cars talk to him a few times and Man DID I learn a thing or two from Bill
He was the master at what he did but today it seems he is all forgotten It is kind of sad in a way
Why does it come to some one has to die to get recognize for what they did best
Old 05-18-2010, 06:09 AM

Wow. I know Bill and I totally agree. He's sure not so grumpy once you talk to him a bit. He has helped me tremendously over the years and I can't thank him enough.

Once at the PRI show, my pal Mike Pustelny and I were sitting at a table in the hotel lounge drinking soda water (no kidding...I think Mike was drinking Pepsi though). Bill shows up. Out of the blue, I kidded him about giving me an autograph. Damned if he didn't autograph the table top. To this day Mike and I are kicking ourselves for not making off with the table [img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/naughty.gif[/img]

Bill is one of a kind. And I feel absolutely fortunate to have had conversations with him over the years.

Wayne
Old 05-18-2010, 08:23 AM

Why hasn't anyone from Hemmings or MCR or something sat down with him and gotten his life story? The cars, the racing, everything. That's something I for one would love to read.
Old 05-18-2010, 03:43 PM

Why hasn't anyone from Hemmings or MCR or something sat down with him and gotten his life story? The cars, the racing, everything. That's something I for one would love to read.

I am tottaly in agrement
That would be great to see
Bill was a Pioneer in his day working in a small shop in Malvern Pa that build some of the fastest cars around
It is a shame he is all forgotten today
Old 05-18-2010, 04:21 PM

I think you'd find that Bill is a tough guy to nail down in one spot for any length of time, especially for something like this. Larry Schreib really did a good job on the Chevrolet Racing Engine Book with Bill, but as I understand it, the process wasn't easy. I know Bill well enough to ask a few pertinent questions, but I'm certainly not the guy to write a book -- that's for sure. John Joduga from National DRAGSTER knows Bill better than most (he's the guy who did the posters of Bill and his &quot;toys&quot; for Moroso). JJ could easily do the job, but I'm betting its a time issue. One would need a lot of it to do a book project of this nature. The other dilemma is this: I've had five books published with various publishers. I'm sure not getting rich off of them. If you make 50 cents an hour piecing together an automotive book, consider yourself lucky.

Speaking of cents...thats my few pennies worth.

Take care guys. [img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/youguysrock.gif[/img]

Wayne Scraba