Go Back   The Supercar Registry > Dealer Specific Discussion > Yenko Chevrolet

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-26-2020, 12:08 PM
Yenko Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteLeathersac View Post
'

Awesome updates Gary and please keep 'em coming!
The Duster story w/ your folks and polka dancing reminded me of this Nester Shydlowsky Album as pic below, note the modified Beep-A-Beep sign also cool shoes!

~ Pete

Thanks Pete,

I apologize in advance, sorry car guys, not a car story here, but definitely about my youth and my Mom, gotta give her some Love since I always talk about my Dad (what a guy).

Sometimes a word will jog this old memory. When I said it folded like an accordion, (it really did look like that), the word accordion made me think of my Mom's side of the family and it also makes me think of hearing polka music (really don't hear that type of music much anymore). She was one of eight children, 4 older sisters, and 3 younger brothers and her parents came here from Yugoslavia and she was very proud of her Slovenian heritage, even though she was born in this country in 1921. Whenever I think of her and all of her siblings, polka music always has to come to mind because their mother and father were very old school and they had dual citizenship. When I was growing up, the siblings would have parties all the time and that meant my two uncles would pull out the squeeze boxes (their father, my grandfather, had these made in the old country) and the dancing would begin, it didn't matter if it was outside on a concrete driveway, in the basement, in a living room, the hooting and hollering and dancing was something to watch. It was a very, very HAPPY time and my MOM was always at the center of it. Once the music started, she would dance for hours and hours til the music stopped, which sometimes was in the very early morning. As you can see in the picture above, standing by the Yenko on the trailer she was only 4'10", but she was a fireball and usually the life of those parties. As they all grew older, the parties were less frequent, but when they did get together, the music and the dancing would start, just didn't last as long. They are all gone now, but when my last Uncle passed a couple years ago, I thought that now the Polka Party could really start since they are all back together and he was the youngest and I'm guessing the squeeze box came out as soon as he arrived.

For those of you that have never heard polka music, it will kind of all sound the same, but it has great rhythm, well I always enjoyed it and like I said above it is "HAPPY" music.

Great times!!

GM
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to GM_427_Racer For This Useful Post:
dykstra (04-11-2021), markinnaples (01-27-2020), PeteLeathersac (01-26-2020), scuncio (01-26-2020), Xplantdad (01-26-2020), YENKO DEUCE REGISTRY (01-28-2020)