Go Back   The Supercar Registry > General Discussion > Day 2 stuff-modified cars

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-05-2020, 12:33 AM

Default Owner History on My Car

Many have noticed in capital red letters on my page is a comment I made almost a year ago. It states that the complete owner history was obtained on my Hugger Orange 396 Camaro. I held off sharing this story hoping to have good pictures to go with the story. Unfortunately, after a year of trying to go over to the PO's house to retake the distorted pics I am about to share, for some reason he has had an excuse every time I want to make contact and ask to come over.
with the passing of my FIL this past Sunday, I am reminded how he was the catalyst for this most improbable of circumstances that led to my discovery of the previous owner. it is crazy what happened to say the least. About a year ago, my FIL's health began to spiral down drastically. He was a great man. I could spend much time telling about this man, but I must get back to the car story though. I said he was the catalyst because without his illness, this occurrence would not have happened.
First, a little back story. I certainly did not know how to interpret my Trim Tag when I bought my car back in 79. No one cared either what this tag meant. Little by little, hot rod magazines started giving info on how to decipher these tags. Still, no one was into their car's history or origins. I cocooned the cars for 20 years and about 8 years ago, embarked on this odyssey of restoring a car that I let slip into disrepair. Soon, I found my self a fan of this site and CRG. That was the extent of my social media. I woud eagerly read about how guys obtained documentation and knew the owner history. Boy!, I thought, how I too wanted to know this mystery. How I felt left out and had missed the "dance" realizing how much time had passed since I had owned this car. Seemed futile. NCRS papers were not available, compounding the frustration. A member gave me an idea. Put a CL ad looking for info on this car. After all, it had distinctive paint, surely someone would recognize the car. About 3 years ago, I did just that and hit "pay dirt", sort of. I got a call the very next day and a voice says, I used to own that car. Great! I thought. Turns out, the caller sold the car to who I got the car from. Caller told me he bought it from a friend in his senior year. His friend got it at the beginning of his senior year. all 3 of these previous owners, including myself being number 4, all graduated in 79. I bought in the fall of 79. The 3rd owner back got te car going into his Senior year, which was 78. So it went through 4 owners in 1 year. Good to know, but the trail went cold. That furthest owner back could not remember the guy he got it from, could not remember which house. He just knew it was on Melody lane. that is all I had until last year. My FIL, now, in the hospital, I pick up my MIL to visit him. Afterwards we eat out. I see a older guy across the room with a sweat shirt on from a large annual local car show. By chance, we are leaving this restaurant at the same time as this older guy. I hold the door for him and strike up a conversation about his shirt. He tells me he owns a 57 Sedan Delivery. I comment on how iconic 57's are and then tell him I own another iconic Chevy, a '69 Camaro. He says that he used to own one...a Hugger Orange 396 4 speed. I replied, that is what my car is. He then says, I painted mine black with flames!!! As we say in Appalachia, you could have knocked me over with a feather! Could this be the break through moment I could only have dreamed of, up till now? I hastily exchange contact info noticing my MIL and wife freezing next to our locked car. Last thought, I asked him if he lived close? He replied, been on Melody lane since '64. He is the second owner. He was friends with the OP. That guy bought the car new from Central Motor in Hamilton, Ohio, a Yenko dealer. The OP was drafted in 72 and parked the car in his dad's garage with 22K on the odo. He sold it to this new found friend of mine and second owner in 74. He sold it to that kid in 78 going into his Senior year of HS.This fella has told me that he has the build sheet to my car...somewhere and he also claims to have the original heads, intake & carb in his garage attic and 2 Rally wheels under his work bench. Yet, he wont have me over. Hopefully a new chapter will be written when the weather warms? His pics:
Attached Images

69 SS/RS 396 M20 X22 Nor 12B,72B,712 bought 1979
FULL OWNER HISTORY
69 Dick Harrell tribute Day II 427 M20 4.10 X11 76 orig pnt, 711
67 Super Stock 302 Camaro re-creation
The Following 15 Users Say Thank You to bbbentley For This Useful Post:
67 Nova Boy (04-01-2020), cook_dw (03-09-2020), GaryC (03-07-2020), HawkX66 (03-05-2020), Igosplut (03-05-2020), L_e_e (03-05-2020), markinnaples (03-05-2020), NorCam (03-05-2020), PeteLeathersac (03-05-2020), ruralrte66 (03-05-2020), Steve Shauger (03-05-2020), Tenney (03-05-2020), x77-69z28 (03-07-2020), YENKO DEUCE REGISTRY (03-06-2020), ZLP955 (03-08-2020)
Attachments - The Supercar Registry IMG_3698.JPG IMG_3697.JPG
Click here to view all the pictures posted in this thread...