Go Back   The Supercar Registry > General Discussion > Lounge

Old 01-24-2015, 06:16 PM

Thanked 1,059 Times in 333 Posts
Default Re: Barrett Jackson is on fire

Let's not forget that the red W-30 convertible previously "sold" at BJ for 357k was not sold and restored by TROY Thorton, it was sold/restored by his brother, who runs a totally separate restoration business, which also happens to be in PA. Just sayin...

Bashton
MCACN Managing Member

www.mcacn.com
Old 01-24-2015, 07:26 PM
Yenko Contributing Member

Thanked 2,411 Times in 761 Posts

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: classicgary</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: GaryW</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: classicgary</div><div class="ubbcode-body">i wonder how many spectators were there to see how their old car did in the auction? I know a B J auction was on my bucket list, and i wanted to &quot;check up&quot; on my old Camaro. It didn't make Pratt alot of money................and now that it's been &quot;outed&quot; as a re-body, (finally), it's just a VERY NICE driver, IMO. </div></div>

Didn't you mean.. 'your old VIN, cowl plate, and paperwork'??? Nothing else from your 'old car' is there anymore is there?? It's a 'rebodied' car, with 'restoration drivetrain'... whatever the h*ll that is.... </div></div>

yup, that's what I mean. ain't it about time it was &quot;outed&quot; as a rebody......
</div></div>

Is this the green 69 Z/28 I spoke of earlier in the thread?
Old 01-24-2015, 10:51 PM

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 427TJ</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Might be interesting to see as baby-boomers die off (no offense, I am one of them) and cars start coming back to auction, who will be there with the money to buy them and for what price? Boomers fueled not just the U.S. economy for their whole lives but lifted the global economy too. The following demographics are not as large and do not have as much money spread across the demographic. Will the top 10% of post-boomer generations still pay boomer money for cars--cars they themselves did not grow up with and therefore do not have youthful nostalgia for? (I've bought stuff from the old days, including cars, because these things made me feel younger--relive the good old days.) You can be sure the speculators are very busy speculating. (As I just did.) </div></div>

60's musclecars will never go begging for an owner, but as time goes on they will increasingly share the spotlight with later model stuff, the same way Deusenbergs and Pierce-Arrows currently share it with 70 Cuda's and 69 Chevelle's. Can't stay young forever.
Old 01-31-2015, 01:59 AM

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bashton</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Let's not forget that the red W-30 convertible previously &quot;sold&quot; at BJ for 357k was not sold and restored by TROY Thorton, it was sold/restored by his brother, who runs a totally separate restoration business, which also happens to be in PA. Just sayin...

Bashton
MCACN Managing Member

</div></div>

Bob you are so right… Troy is truly a genuine &amp; good guy who does absolutely beautiful restorations. He is willing to help anyone trying to restore Oldsmobiles' regardless of who they are. He helped me with numerous questions, leads, parts etc... and did not receive anything back in return. He just loves these cars and enjoys helping the Olds community. He and his brother Jeff have totally different restoration shops and are completely separate entities. Thanks so much Bob for posting the clarification. [img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/beers.gif[/img]
Old 01-31-2015, 03:29 PM
Yenko Contributing Member

Don't forget, it is an international market today. I am reminded of this when I received a call from a young man from Mongolia wanting a 65 Mustang. Google the weather and the road situation there. More cart trails then roads. I sometimes forget the allure these cars have to people around the globe now. China is coming on board also. Without the foreign market the last 5 or 6 years would have been a lot tougher for the vendors, shippers, dealers etc...
I hate seeing some of the cars go, but when the car is for sale and they have the money, whatta ya gonna do.
Old 02-01-2015, 02:26 PM

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 427freak</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Don't forget, it is an international market today. I am reminded of this when I received a call from a young man from Mongolia wanting a 65 Mustang. Google the weather and the road situation there. More cart trails then roads. I sometimes forget the allure these cars have to people around the globe now. China is coming on board also. Without the foreign market the last 5 or 6 years would have been a lot tougher for the vendors, shippers, dealers etc...
I hate seeing some of the cars go, but when the car is for sale and they have the money, whatta ya gonna do. </div></div>
Agreed, their is more wealth being created across the globe and only a limited amount of great cars.
Old 02-04-2015, 03:53 PM
SCR Sponsor

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Tracker1</div><div class="ubbcode-body">This thread:

https://www.yenko.net/ubbthreads/ubbt...opics/513814/2

On page 2, I commented about how 357K was nuts for the red W30 convertible that went through BJ in 2013 (my comment is still there). I distinctly remember and will swear on my son's life that a couple of well-known &quot;muscle car retailers&quot; on this site came back very quickly in that thread to say that no, this was an accurate price for such a car, with a tone insinuating I didn't know what I was talking about (often true, but not in this instance). Then it blew up because someone else pointed out that the car had been found to have &quot;questionable docs&quot; as in aged and/or manipulated and/or outright falsified. Several people commented on it...but not me (I don't do tol-ya-so's) or the two respected sellers of muscle cars. All of this IS GONE from this thread. And I tell ya, IT WAS THERE in 2013. My comment about &quot;protected&quot; wasn't aimed at the administration of the site - that would be conspiracy theory and I don't do those either - it was aimed at those who want certain cars to maintain values and will protect the value of those cars if they happen to be in their inventory. At least that is what it felt like to me in 2013 on this particular thread. </div></div>

Des,

Conspiracy theories aside and in regards to the Red Barrett Jackson W-30. Your statements and opinions are just not completely accurate. The collector who was seeking a best of the best, 4 speed convertible knew what he was after. He obviously wanted the car more than the money. The fact that the paperwork Thornton had come up with, was fraudulent......well that is another matter and I would surmise, one of the reasons that the deal was backed up. The car was resold with no documentation at the next BJ auction for $250k. This to me is more surprising than the initial sale when the paperwork was believed to be authentic. The high bidder in-turn went out and purchased a bullet proof convertible and had it restored/cleaned up to his standards. While I was not involved with the sale/purchase, communicating with the buyer and seller leads me to be very confident that he has more invested than you may approve.

As someone who follows W-30s to a degree and who has had direct involvement with them, I can let you know that there was a recent offer tendered to purchase one of the known and documented W-30 4 speeds for much more than the BJ car, but the owner decided not to sell it and another great W-30 4 speed rag top recently traded hands in the value range of the BJ W-30.

With only 96 ever produced and approx 25 considered to be real and even fewer with original drivetrains, its not difficult to understand why a collector may decide to pay such a price. I don't make the market, but am familiar with it.