Go Back   The Supercar Registry > General Discussion > Other Muscle

Old 02-20-2010, 02:52 AM

Default Re: ROTTING MUSCLECARS

awesome pictures

Old 02-20-2010, 04:39 AM

[/ QUOTE ]

Looks like this VDub already has a header, it won't take much to get some air under those front tires!
Old 02-20-2010, 04:59 AM
Yenko Contributing Member

Me Jim? Thanks. I have others to share, maybe later...

Dan
Old 02-20-2010, 05:31 AM

yes, the detail of the rust was awesome, great contrast, clarity, etc

very "artsy" = NEAT!

Old 03-13-2010, 07:13 AM

Here a old buick ragtop

1966 SS Chevelle 138 vin coupe

Torino just sitting

Firebird

Old 03-13-2010, 07:35 AM

Some more

Nova in barn

Moss does grow on a sitting Camaro

Cosworth Vega

El Camino

Fastback Mustang look close

68 Chevelle and 69 El Camino SS

Old 03-13-2010, 08:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Just imagine a sunny Saturday morning in late 1956, maybe a few weeks or days before Christmas. A father and his growing family decide to go down to the Chevrolet dealership to buy a new station wagon. Dad secretly wants the Nomad with fuel injection to impress the hot-rodder kids down the street but he needs to be prudent and practical so the 210 four-door wagon fits the bill. Dad asserts himself and chooses one with the 4-bbl 283 engine with extra pep for the onramps he'll be using when the new freeway opens next spring. It also has the Powerglide automatic transmission and power steering for the Mrs. when she's running errands with the kids. They excitedly jump in their new wagon and dad drives over to the drive-in and treats them all to lunch. Then they drive around for a while learning their new wagon and as they drive up their street the neighbors wave and come walking over to see the new Chevrolet. The other dads walk around the wagon and stand there with their hands on their hips, puffing on their pipes and commenting on the power of the 4-bbl 283 "Corvette" engine and note that these Chevys are "solidly built." The other mothers are all envious and say how easy it will be to do the grocery shopping and errands with the power steering and automatic transmission. "Parking will be a delight!" The neighborhood kids look on and hope that their dads will see the obvious need for them to go get a new Chevy wagon too. Several years pass and the '57 provides many miles of reliable service and pleasure-filled driving.

Then, one day in the fall of 1961, dad gets a promotion at work. It's a big one, the one he's been working to get for five years. On his commuter train ride home he sees an ad in the paper for the new 1962 Corvette and he remembers that he had wanted one since reading "Uncle" Tom McCahill's report on the new '56 Corvette in Popular Mechanics. He decides to get off the train one stop early and walk past the Chevrolet dealer. Sure enough, there is a beautiful new '62 Corvette, in bright red with the new fuel injected 327 right in the showroom! Wow. He just stares in through the picture window. The salesman recognizes him and waves him inside. "Uh-oh" he thinks, "I shouldn't go inside." But he does and the salesman greets him and says, "Go ahead, sit in that beauty!" He does and it's all over. He must have it. He calls home and tells the wife he'll be along in an hour and to keep his dinner warm. "No dear, I'm fine, I just need to make a stop before I get home." 45 minutes later the wife is calling the kids for dinner and she hears a roar and sees a flash of bright red and then...she sees her husband! Oh my goodness! "VROOOM!!!" as the Corvette comes up the street, the husband smiling with his pipe clenched in his teeth. He pulls into the driveway and everyone is filled with excitement as they look over dad's new Corvette! Well, after dinner and rides for everyone, they settle down for an evening in front of the television. The wife is a little fussy as she knits a sweater for their youngest girl. "Okay honey, what is it?" the husband asks. "Oh nothing." "I know you, something is bothering you. Is it the Corvette? We can afford it easily now that I got my promotion." "Well, it's just that the station wagon is getting old and Nancy Smuckenfuss down the street just got a new Ford Falcon Country Squire and I think it's cute and it's good on gas too." The husband thinks carefully for just a second and then the next thing they know, dad heads down to the Ford dealer that Saturday and trades-in the good old '57 wagon on a new '62 Ford Falcon Country Squire station wagon, black with wood paneling, and brings it home for his deserving and delighted spouse.

The years pass as the old '57 goes from one owner to another, each one taking less and less care of the old station wagon, the local winters taking their toll as well. Finally, 20 years on, a young owner is driving the wagon to college when she hears a knocking sound from the engine. She pulls over and calls a tow truck which arrives after an hour wait. The tow truck driver says, "Sounds like you have a bad engine bearing." The young college girl says she can't afford to fix such a problem and the tow truck driver tows the wagon to the nearest service station where she accepts fifty dollars for the broken-down old '57. She walks over to the bus stop and heads off to class, late but fifty dollars richer, but also a little sad at the loss of her cool old station wagon that she and her sorority sisters had named "Hazel." The service station owner heads down to the wrecking yard that Friday and picks up a used 327 from a '66 Impala and puts it in the '57. He sells it for $500 and it disappears into the ether, as they say.

After nearly forty years of service the '57 is all used up. It needs paint, new seat covers, a new engine and transmission and the brakes are bad. Rust began to eat away at the paint years before and a few trim items had been stolen over the years, including the hubcaps. Its usefulness gone, it is pushed aside to slowly deteriorate, unloved and alone.

Once it was someone's pride and joy and now it's just another old car that nobody really wants. Well, perhaps there is someone out there...

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 03-13-2010, 10:05 PM

Thanked 1,410 Times in 678 Posts

That was just great....
John 10:30
Old 03-14-2010, 08:04 PM

"Nancy Smuckenfuss" Now that's good. Great story.
Old 03-19-2010, 01:41 AM

" chooses one with the 4-bbl 283 engine with extra pep for the onramps ".
My dad used to refer to cars haveing "pep". To me it meant it wasn't a six and it wasn't big enough of a V8 to smoke the tires. His 65 Plymouth Fury with a 318 had "pep". That is all it had.

Great story.

Paul
68 Camaro Z28,Corvette Bronze,Houndstooth
www.vancouverclassiccars.com