Go Back   The Supercar Registry > General Discussion > Lounge

Old 11-05-2020, 06:08 PM

Thanked 136,506 Times in 22,779 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JP Emerson View Post
These are cool Lee. Imagine these though being converted by an authorized "factory".

Interestingly, I have seen quite a few of these done privately and to be honest, they are very impressive.

Are they the future? Would you consider one?

Thoughts?

JP
JP, I am a Luddite! Still have my flip phone and use a key to open my car (no fob).

Is it the future? How far are we talking about? 5 to 10 years? No - I don't see it as anything more than a curiosity. 15 to 20 years? Sure. By then all of us Baby Boomers will be gone.
The Following User Says Thank You to Lee Stewart For This Useful Post:
Too Many Projects (11-05-2020)
Old 11-05-2020, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by danachevroletfor1967 View Post
I would not ever want or have anything to do with a classic car, especially a muscle car, with an EV engine. I wouldn't take one if someone gave me one for free. To me the whole idea of a classic or muscle car is that it is as close as possible to like it was originally.

Although not in total disagreement with your thought, I ask this. What if, for conversations sake, we start to see these "conversions" a bit more? Leaving out the ultra high end examples, what if a entry level Mustang, Camaro, vette etc were converted?

From there we then see a "new" generation of enthusiasts and owners driving "stock looking" classics on the street. Would the visibility of these "classics" not further the hobby and with that, the stock examples?

Does a "Restomod" accomplish the same thing?

I get it, it's not the same as original, but wouldn't a rising tide raise all the boats?

Respectfully,

JP
Old 11-05-2020, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee Stewart View Post
JP, I am a Luddite! Still have my flip phone and use a key to open my car (no fob).

Is it the future? How far are we talking about? 5 to 10 years? No - I don't see it as anything more than a curiosity. 15 to 20 years? Sure. By then all of us Baby Boomers will be gone.

That's a great question Lee! I couldn't tell you what the time frame is but I do think that although change is difficult at times, this (or something like it) is coming sooner rather than later.

JP
Old 11-05-2020, 06:55 PM

I don't see the change being voluntary. I see it coming from government mandates as most changes happen, when it comes to cars.

There is a major issue when it comes to EVs: logistics. As of the last Census (2010) 30% of the US population are renters. How can they purchase an EV with no way to charge it? Apartment complex owners aren't going to voluntarily spend the billions of dollars to equip their sites with charging stations let alone the upgrade to 200 amp service panels to support them.

People love convenience. EVs are anything but.

Currently EVs are nothing more than a novelty. Their sales are minuscule:

Old 11-05-2020, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee Stewart View Post
I don't see the change being voluntary. I see it coming from government mandates as most changes happen, when it comes to cars.

There is a major issue when it comes to EVs: logistics. As of the last Census (2010) 30% of the US population are renters. How can they purchase an EV with no way to charge it? Apartment complex owners aren't going to voluntarily spend the billions of dollars to equip their sites with charging stations let alone the upgrade to 200 amp service panels to support them.

People love convenience. EVs are anything but.

Currently EVs are nothing more than a novelty. Their sales are minuscule:

All great points Lee. I agree that this would have to be mandated from the top. Your info regarding rentals is of interest as well and well stated. The new EV's do come with a charging pack that can be plugged into a standard home outlet. (although it would take longer to charge)

Of course, this is all for conversation here as I also am conflicted as to the viability, at least in the short term for these.

I'm just wondering what other like minded enthusiasts think and what better place to ask than here!

JP
The Following User Says Thank You to JP Emerson For This Useful Post:
Lee Stewart (11-05-2020)
Old 11-05-2020, 07:19 PM

Old 11-05-2020, 07:22 PM
Yenko Contributing Member

Thanked 1,143 Times in 646 Posts

No thanks. I love the V8 exhaust sound.
The Following User Says Thank You to big gear head For This Useful Post:
JP Emerson (11-05-2020)
Old 11-05-2020, 07:22 PM

Thanked 3,159 Times in 1,438 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by danachevroletfor1967 View Post
I would not ever want or have anything to do with a classic car, especially a muscle car, with an EV engine. I wouldn't take one if someone gave me one for free. To me the whole idea of a classic or muscle car is that it is as close as possible to like it was originally.

Took the words right out of my mouth, or day (4)2 mods for better braking and handling. I'm still not over all the younger people desecrating our classics and muscle cars with LSX engines, let alone electric. Wait till I'm dead and then butcher them all they want...
1967 Camaro ss/rs
1938 Business coupe, street rod
2000 FXSTS, original owner, 13k miles
Old 11-05-2020, 07:32 PM

Thanked 3,159 Times in 1,438 Posts

I guess I should add, if new vehicles became more long distance capable and not start on fire. I would consider them for a DD, just not retro-fitting into classics. As for just the body with electronic components furthering the interest in the older cars, that's all it would do, is encourage more conversions and eliminate original components and their heritage. We already have that en-masse with the LSX movement. Many of the other muscle car/ restoration forums have many people involved in this and others wanting to. The don't appreciate the cars for what they represent of history. They just want the shell and ultra modern drive train.
1967 Camaro ss/rs
1938 Business coupe, street rod
2000 FXSTS, original owner, 13k miles
Old 11-05-2020, 07:37 PM

Before these are mandated, somebody better think about where all the electricity is coming from, and where are the materials and capital equipment coming from to manufacture all these batteries. Also where do the used batteries go?
big gear head (11-05-2020), Too Many Projects (11-05-2020)