Go Back   The Supercar Registry > General Discussion > Supercar/Musclecar Discussion

Old 05-04-2010, 09:39 PM

Default Re: 68 Yenco clone

Guys,

Yawl must be retired school teachers, I am so used to the Monaro (GM 67-74)Australian muscle car. my bad

Cheers: auschris
Old 05-04-2010, 10:08 PM
Yenko Contributing Member

Thanked 4,664 Times in 2,166 Posts

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: auschris001</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

...I am so used to the Monaro (GM 67-74)Australian muscle car...
Cheers: auschris </div></div>

Cool!.
I've always admired the Chevy V8 Monaros from afar...and their 'Chevy SS' brothers!.
Do you now or have you ever owned any GTS 327 or 350 cars?!.

Welcome aboard Chris!.
[img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/beers.gif[/img]
~ Pete
Old 05-04-2010, 10:58 PM
Yenko Contributing Member

Welcome Chris! [img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/beers.gif[/img]

I believe the connecting rods were <span style="text-decoration: underline">3/8&quot; dimple </span>rods in 1968 and it was a solid lifter flat tappet camshaft.

Kurt [img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/biggthumpup.gif[/img]

1969 SS396 Post Sedan Delivered to Van-T Topeka KS
MCACN Day2 Concourse Gold Award

1968 Schwinn Orange Krate Original Paint
1970 Schwinn 3-Speed Deluxe Original Paint
Old 05-04-2010, 11:00 PM

Pete,

I had a 1968 HK Monaro 186 cubic inch 6cyl 4 speed that I got for my then wife.
I have built many for others and came oh so close to buying a mint 350 HQ 4 speed one time. Tried to buy one before I came here but those available were too expensive instead I brought over a HX one tonner (cab chassis) that I have built into a super gas/pro street car.

Attached Images

Old 05-04-2010, 11:06 PM

Kurt,

Ok then let me ask this, were they even designated 4 bolt blocks, I remember that there was an LS6 cam that was about 520 lift and I think that also came in the L88.
So then, did an L88 just come in the Corvette ???

Old 05-05-2010, 12:17 AM

I suspect you'll be looking for a four bolt block. The L88 in the first design configuration is a long way away from the L72 and the second design L88 is even further away (more radical). I think though in your own best interests, it might be good to start gathering printed info (books, magazines, etc.) on these cars and other Chevrolets of the era. Even though I do this for a living, I'd really suggest you dig deeply into the research part of the equation first (just like teachers I guess -- in reference to one of your earlier comments). If you're determined to build an accurate clone, there's still a rather steep learning curve that is likely going to be far greater than a few questions and answers posted here.

Best of luck.

Wayne [img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/smile.gif[/img]
Old 05-05-2010, 01:42 AM

Wayne,

I am learning this very quickly, it is not so cut and dried as I first thought.

My thanks go to you and the others that have posted this has helped me a lot.

So what you are saying is that the L72 is a plain jane 427, cast oval port heads and not even a guarantee of a 4 bolt block or a steel crank??

Can I ask, in your opinion what would be the main points to look for in a Camaro Yenko clone.
Old 05-05-2010, 02:03 AM

Uhm. No. I didn't say that (and no else did either as far as I can see). The L72 is a rectangular port, 11:1 forged piston, 4-bolt main, steel crank, 3/8-inch rod bolt, mechanical cam, high rise aluminum intake, Holley carburetor engine combination. It saw service from 1966 to 1969 inclusive. It was far from plain jane. It was the workhorse high performance big block of the era. And from most accounts (and personal experiences of mine and countless other old &quot;farts&quot; like me [img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/wink.gif[/img] here), it did pretty good for itself on both the street and the track....and still does in plenty of cases. In other words, you're pretty much dealing with the backbone (or dare I say, the &quot;Holy Grail&quot of Chevy high performance in the sixties.

There are too many components and variables to get into to provide you with a handful of points to look for. With that said, you really need to know what exactly the L72 was, what a SS396 was all about, what Yenko accomplished and take it from there. To understand these cars, you have to gather as much printed data as possible, then ask about the little details. Start looking for books my friend. There's plenty out there (some good....some not so good).

I hope that helps.

Wayne
Old 05-05-2010, 02:17 AM

more pics of this....creation? [img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/dunno.gif[/img] [img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/biggthumpup.gif[/img]
Old 05-05-2010, 02:57 AM

Wayne,

This has been most entertaining and yes I will go hit the books as I do want to learn. Back in the day (as I class myself as a young old fart) I ran a blown BBC sedan and my favorite combo was a 427 steel crank in a truck block with 4.375 bore and 10.5 pistons with a 1471 fuel blower and rectangle iron heads.made about 1200 hp on a good day.

ps: so the main difference between a L78 and a L88 was 7/16 rods and aluminum heads