Go Back   The Supercar Registry > General Discussion > Technical & Restoration

Old 12-06-2002, 11:59 AM
Yenko Contributing Member

Thanked 3,895 Times in 1,005 Posts
Default Re: Side Post Battery

Ron,
The earliest T-60 option I have is on a September 24th built L-78 El Camino.
Rick
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=62r-6vgk2_8
specializing in (only real) LS6 Chevelle restorations
Old 12-06-2002, 04:59 PM

Ron;

What are the part numbers and broadcast sheet codes on your battery cables? I can check the AM to see if the cables are correct for a T60 battery. Is there a part number on the battery?

Greg
Old 12-06-2002, 05:23 PM

Greg,
Good question. Unfortunately the cables had been replaced during the 30 years of driving. When I took the cables off the car, I didn't see any numbers. The ends that connect to the battery definately had been replaced. The original owner described what happened this way. He said the car always started hard. One time, he couldn't get it to start. He started replacing things trying to find the problem. Alternator, voltage regulator, starter and then only to find out later he had a loose connection at the battery. He then believes he replaced the ends so he had a good connection again. He remembered that the original battery lasted 7 or 8 years. The dealer or factory messed up his order and he didn't even know it until I restored the car. He said he ordered the car with the 3.55 rear gears and his came with the 3.31 gears. The code on the rear showed 3.31 gears along with the protecto-plate. That's also what I found when I tore the rear end apart. Perhaps the dealer also messed up the battery order and the owner would have seen it so they replaced it? The owner was very particular about this car. He also had a problem with the front shocks when he first drove the car. The bolts weren't tightened and he wrecked both front shocks. He was not very happy to say the least. He said numerous other bolts weren't tightened. That's how particular he was about this car. The dealership the car was bought from is where I live but ownership has changed. I know where the previous dealership owner lives but I don't know if they kept their records. I guess it won't hurt to ask. Ron
Old 12-06-2002, 05:40 PM

Greg,
I never found my build sheet. I looked everywhere. Seats, under carpet, dash. I never took the door panels off the car. Possibly there?? I found just a corner of paper that looked like the corner of a build sheet? I kind of doubt that it would be behind a door panel.
Ron
Old 12-06-2002, 05:55 PM

Ron,

The Fisher body build sheet <font color="red"> could </font color> be behind the door panel, but I doubt it. The Fisher build sheet would not really help with the battery.

I have followed your NNN progress. You have several broadcast codes already documented. FYI, I have made this offer before with no takers and it may not be of any value to you, but I am compiling examples of broadcast sheet codes to recreate broadcast sheets for the 70 Nova. If you have a list of the codes you found, I could pug them into a spreadsheet or compare them to my limited list of codes. It would of course also help me with research. It would not necessarily fully prove what is correct for you car. Greg

Old 12-06-2002, 06:07 PM

Greg,
Are you in luck. I compiled a sheet with all the codes and part numbers I found during my restoration. I also shot some video of unusual part numbers. If you want the list or the video, let me know. What Nova do you have? Have I seen it? I'm been a NNN member for almost 20 years. My other car is featured on the Nova poster with Reggie's Yenko. I still own it.
Ron
Old 12-06-2002, 06:17 PM

I have one of those upholstery tag sheets that was under the rear seat springs on my '70 Nova SS L34. I can't figure out some of the codes on there, but can get the main ones.
Old 12-06-2002, 07:31 PM
Yenko Contributing Member

Thanked 2,630 Times in 1,175 Posts

Chevrolet started using the Delco R-79W side post battery on their cars in late 69.It was available on the Camaro too.I am not sure about any COPO's receiving it though.
I have an two NOS side terminal Batteries still in their boxes,and both are dated July 1969.
Now when Chevrolet started installing them in cars,and what cars and what plants,and what time frame is a diffferent story.
All the 1970 ordering books and catalogs mention this new side terminal battery for the new cars in 1970,which by the way were annnouced to the public September 18-1969.
I have seen 1969 Camaros produced in Late 69,1970 Chevelles,Monte Carlos, and Impalas/Wagons have it as early as August 1969,but I am not about Novas.
Just curious,where is your current battery ground too,the block,or the Alt. Bracket?
I have a box full of Chevrolet MSO,Window stickers,buildsheets and Dealer invoices from 1969-72.I have not been able to get to sort them out.I will look for 1970 Nova specific and let you know what I find.
Your 3:31 rearend intrigues me,as the Chevelle did not get the 3:31 untill Oct 69.I have not seen one that early in a car as yours.3:55 was the norm,then the 4:10 was the optional.Is yours dated on the housing?
Old 12-06-2002, 07:38 PM

Ron;

Yes, I would like to get the codes and video. I can send you a check to cover costs. I will be able to put them into a form based on original 1970 Chassis and Body Broadcast sheets.

I have been a NNN member since the 80's. As for my Nova, you have not seen it since it has been in pieces for many years. It is nothing special, just my wife's High School car. I started it when my oldest was born. I have made great progress, but many things slowed the progress over the years. I have learned a lot in that time. Right now I travel heavily, so while everything is ready to put back together, I choose to spend my in town time with my children. In the meantime I am learning from this great site while slowing working on the Nova as a warm up for a Colonial Chevrolet Yenko Nova (once I find one).

Allen;

Post the codes or a picture of the fisher sheet and I'll decode it. If I can't the real experts here certainly can.

Greg
Old 12-06-2002, 07:59 PM

My Nova has an October date code and a rear code of CBS (testing my memory here) on the housing. The ring gear inside is dated 9/69 and is a 3.31.

One code on my upholstery tag that does NOT make sense is "C08" I thought that was for a vinyl roof, but my car does not have one, nor show the signs for one. Furthermore, I asked that question of the original owner and he said it didn't come with one.

Those forms are made by people, and people make mistakes, but it was interesting if nothing else. I'll get it out and look tonight and make a list of what is on there.