Go Back   The Supercar Registry > Dealer Specific Discussion > Baldwin-Motion Performance

Old 04-17-2007, 09:06 PM
Yenko Contributing Member

Default Re: Motion Speed Boat

Maybe he didn't want to pay $2,000 (or more) for real Motion BBC valve covers? The moment he put out an ad for real ones the price would go sky-high. Just as well because people would then complain that real valve covers had been "wasted" on a boat! Fake covers allow him to get his boat out and run it without fear of "ruining" real Motion covers. (Just employing a little Internet chat-room logic here...)
Old 04-17-2007, 11:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Maybe he didn't want to pay $2,000 (or more) for real Motion BBC valve covers? The moment he put out an ad for real ones the price would go sky-high. Just as well because people would then complain that real valve covers had been "wasted" on a boat! Fake covers allow him to get his boat out and run it without fear of "ruining" real Motion covers. (Just employing a little Internet chat-room logic here...)

[/ QUOTE ]

I'll offer him my original Motion BBC valve covers for half of that $2,000. I'll even offer him MINT restore original Motion Emblems for $650. Show me the last time a set of original BBC Motion valve covers brought $2k?

Maybe its because I'm a Corvette guy but if you take the time, effort, and money to restore an awesome-rare piece, going the extra mile to painstakingly perfect every detail should be a necessity. I would have rather seen period correct MT BBC valve covers over those ebay special repops.

Not my boat, excuse me for commenting.
Old 04-17-2007, 11:50 PM

Maybe it is just a Corvette guy thing; but I agree with MosportGreen66 100% Even though mine is Rally Red I still don’t understand chat-room logic! Valve covers wasted on a boat? Running epay blatant fakes for fear of running the real thing? My real world logic is the fear of ruining a real set of Motion Valve covers would not be a factor if I were willing to run a 1 of 3, Big Block powered, Rosen documented boat on public waterways. To me it just screams fake for the whole piece regardless of documentation. I guess he could have Joel laminate the documentation letter and take it out with the boat; but at least to me it is on par with sticking on some Motion decals that you printed off of your computer and stuck on with clear shipping tape for fear of ruining the originals. But then again maybe he like the look of the font on the fakes and can explain that he prefers be blocky letters to that of the originals. Now that I think about it I should probably stop the kid that always tries to impress me every time he sees me outside of my home with the classic fear tactic of opening up the 4BBL. on his 12” burnt out glass pack, air shock equipped 80 Camaro. It is Purple and has Yenko emblazed on the door with in what appears to be hardware store mailbox letters. It might be a real Yenko! Just joking! In the end it doesn’t matter as long as he is happy and realizes what he has. If not maybe he should take MosportGreen66 up on his offer and I can sell him my Chrome set as back-ups in case the first set gets damaged out on the lake.
Old 04-18-2007, 12:00 AM

interesting comments. never was a fan of the embossed wrong font valve covers. but that damn boat is cool, and do what you must to use it in the water, not in a museum.
real free stickers from off the counter in 1971 on the outside of the boat or $5.00 peeBay fakes? does it matter?

gas it!!
Old 04-18-2007, 12:26 AM

Hey guys... I didnt mean to cause this sort of reaction... All I was saying is that the boat is down right authentic with Joel's documentation. If it were my boat I would take it that extra step. Koddos to the owner for bringing to this point.
Old 04-18-2007, 12:36 AM

I just re-read the caption from H.R. and noticed that it said Motion emblems on Hull and Valve covers! The emblems and V/C's could be out at the platers?
Old 04-18-2007, 12:55 AM

Thanked 3,896 Times in 1,005 Posts

Regardless of whether he used original covers or repops (like that never happens on Super Cars) it is a beautiful restoration and a great piece of history and would be great to see the boat at the reunion. Would that even qualify....
Rick
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=62r-6vgk2_8
specializing in (only real) LS6 Chevelle restorations
Old 04-18-2007, 01:26 AM

I agree, this is an awesome piece that would be great to share at a reunion. If shop jackets and key fobs in glass showcases can be displayed I would not see a boat as being out of place at all. I would like to see some before pictures of the boat especially the emblems etc.
Old 04-18-2007, 01:32 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Hey guys... I didnt mean to cause this sort of reaction...

[/ QUOTE ]

Me neither! I was just joking! Can't we all just get along? Okay, I'm still joking here! Now I know how Imus feels! (That's a joke too!)
Old 04-18-2007, 01:39 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I'll offer him my original Motion BBC valve covers for half of that $2,000. I'll even offer him MINT restore original Motion Emblems for $650.

[/ QUOTE ]

Okay, maybe I was out of line at 2K! So they're 1K now, got it! (Exclamation points do not mean I am yelling or pissed or anything like that.) I'll re-phrase my earlier comment: Maybe he didn't want to pay 1K for original BBC Motion covers. (Not criticizing your price here, I know those babies are worth good money.)