Go Back   The Supercar Registry > General Discussion > Other Muscle

Old 10-20-2004, 05:23 PM
Yenko Contributing Member

Default Re: 1970 RA IV Judge

I seldom post, but after reading "Tom406"s" message, I now realize how little he knows about collector cars and predicting the future!!!! Patrick
Old 10-20-2004, 05:52 PM

Rich

It is sad that you have to deal with people who are "collectors" instead of "enthusiests". An enthusiest would want to talk about their car as a seller and would enjoy the hunt as a buyer. I will stop you before you start about them not having the time to find a car, if you don't have the time to find it, you don't have the time to drive it. Why bother? Other than the profit when your "broker" sells it, you have gotten zero enjoyment out of it. Go collect something else and drive the price up on it instead!

72 SS 350 4spd Camaro
74 Z28 Automatic
80 Z28 4spd
94 Z28 Automatic
Old 10-20-2004, 08:11 PM

I also think we're in a bubble. Two years ago, a friend in FL who had a RAIV GTO told me his car would be worth 40 grand shortly. I told him he was insane - after all, cars went up in price 15 years ago after the stock market crash, then settled to a point of sanity. However, he has proven me wrong . . . and then some.

Analyzing the situation some more, I've arrived at this conclusion (and, of course, it may not hold water as my previous opinion on prices was wrong too!)

Baby Boomers are reaching 60 next year. They are at a point where they are retired or close to retirement. They have a lot of disposable income - a lot more than when they were younger. Maybe now they can afford the car they couldn't in the 1960s due to funds or family. Maybe they want to find the car similar to that they owned 30 years ago. So many of them are doing so.

The stock market has been down for a few years, so people are looking to put their money in other things. This is just like the late 1980s. Once the stock market goes up, I think prices will soften a bit. However, I don't think they'll sink to prices that are sane. That's cuz people still want to relive their youth and they can afford to do so. There are more musclecars now than there were 15 years ago as people have been saving and restoring them. But, despite the slight increase in supply, the demand is higher too. This will keep prices high.

This is why I made my comment earlier. Once the Boomers die, prices will go down to a point of sanity. Demand won't be there because Gen Xers are not into these cars as much, and Gen Yer even less. But it seems to be the case that people don't mind paying insane prices for these cars because they want to enjoy them in the twilight of their lives. Life is not forever, after all.

The only amusing gripe I have for all of this is the relativity of it all. Is a Hemicuda hardtop worth the same amount as a Mercedes Gullwing? I think their values should be related, and you don't need to tell me which is a neater car. Alas, in the end, it all comes down to supply and demand. Take the Mopar and the Merc to Germany and see how their values differ.
Old 10-20-2004, 08:34 PM

Barn find you make me laugh with all that heart pouring out about (enthusiests) like you are ALL that !!
When the awsome cars of yours go up( 72 SS & 74 LT )you will be cashing in like you never thought. When your $1,000 dollar car turns into $3,000 I will hear from you wanting a buyer.No enthusiests who owns a car wants to hear that the car they own is worth less then what they paid. I know COLLECTORS who drive their Million dollar cars more then you drive your cars. I will be here when they are on the High and I will be there on the LOW. Im a Broker !!

Old 10-21-2004, 07:35 AM

I am real sorry if I hurt your feelings.

72 SS 350 4spd Camaro
74 Z28 Automatic
80 Z28 4spd
94 Z28 Automatic
Old 10-21-2004, 11:34 AM

[ QUOTE ]
It happen last year,I was selling auto hemi Cuda's for 105 and had a hard time selling. Then BJ sold for big money a automatic for 200, well what do you think the seller for 105 was telling me afterwards, and the phone rang off the hook for 105. The smoke settled and sure enough I was selling auto's for close to 175+.

[/ QUOTE ]

See to me this seems like bubble mentality. Isn't this what happened with Ferraris in the late 80's? I was in high school at the time. Sounds like the tech market. “Buy now because they are only going to keep going up”. Who knows? Maybe they will. But it’s starting to sound like follow the leader. At some point you run out of leaders. It's fun to watch the cars go up though.
Old 10-21-2004, 11:41 PM

Thanked 2,268 Times in 564 Posts

Hey now!, Oh wait - I totally trashed the car of your dreams (and your garage) in my smart aleck post. I'm still confident in my collector car opinions, but I'll take that hit.

I'll cop to my inability to predict the future though. I distinctly remember me and the wife agreeing two kids was perfect for us, and now #3 is coming in December. I can't even predict things I have some control over.......

Old 10-22-2004, 05:07 AM

I think you are all weak....the bubble has burst,where have you all been...I am offering 25k for Yenko Camaro's and Chevelles...35k for ZL1's and maybe 30k for a Yenko 427 Nova..please e-mail me to take advantage of this generous offer.
Old 10-22-2004, 06:19 AM

some of the nicest, honest folks i've met in this hobby are "brokers". i've seen what some go thru to get a deal finalized and it sure don't seem worth what is involved in getting everybody happy at times. and of course theres the bad side to it like with just about anything else. good luck to everybody in finding just the right car for themselves, hopefully when ya do find it you'll keep it more than a couple months.
Old 10-22-2004, 12:10 PM

I hope the bubble bursts soon. I am about to turn 32 so I only have 8 more good years left to enjoy life before I fall apart. I'd like to get another car before then.