Go Back   The Supercar Registry > General Discussion > Supercar/Musclecar Discussion

Old 05-05-2010, 03:00 AM

Default Re: 68 Yenco clone

Yep have more pics but need to resize them down like my Camaro pics.
it has an intercooled turbocharged 427 and a glide
Old 05-05-2010, 03:39 AM
Yenko Contributing Member

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: auschris001</div><div class="ubbcode-body">so the main difference between a L78 and a L88 was 7/16 rods and aluminum heads </div></div>

Chris, the L88 had aluminum heads and the L72 had iron heads. The intakes were similar. Both were dual plane but the L88 had the divider cut down a little where the L72's divider wasn't altered at all. I'm sure someone has pictures of the two.

1969 SS396 Post Sedan Delivered to Van-T Topeka KS
MCACN Day2 Concourse Gold Award

1968 Schwinn Orange Krate Original Paint
1970 Schwinn 3-Speed Deluxe Original Paint
Old 05-05-2010, 03:39 AM

The L78 was a 396. The L72 was a 427. And so was the L88. The first design L88 used a closed chamber 12:1+ piston with a matching aluminum head; second design had an open chamber 12:1+ piston with a matching aluminum head. L88 cams were different (considerably more aggressive) than L72's. Carbs were larger. Intake was the same, but the divider was milled. Different oil pump. Larger diameter pushrods and a few other details. Tell you what: Try going to this site:

http://www.nhra.com/competition/blueprints.aspx

You can download basic blueprint specs on the engines, as they apply to NHRA (class) drag racing. It's not the ultimate source, but it'll give you a toe-hold on the info. [img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/grin.gif[/img]

Take care...

Wayne
Old 05-05-2010, 03:03 PM

Wayne,

Thanks again for the help, I used to have a bunch of books and I am just going from fading memories.

So did a 68 Yenko Camaro come with an L88 as well as a L72
and my understanding is that the L72 had cast heads right???

I hope it's not a sin but if I get bogged down in detailed parts I will never get this done, but if I can avoid things like having alloy heads where they should be steel or the wrong air cleaner, things that are obvious I will be happy. I will do this car to the best of my ability making it a kinda tribute to Yenko.
Old 05-05-2010, 04:36 PM

Hello once again....

The L72 heads were closed chamber, rectangular port, cast iron jobs. I can't comment about the L88 in a 1968 Yenko. I suppose there's a chance one might have been swapped in.

This is a bit of a commercial [img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/wink.gif[/img] , but in an upcoming issue of <span style="font-style: italic">Muscle Car Review</span>, you'll see an article I wrote on what to look for in a clone (it goes both ways here -- for the guy who hates clones and for the guy who wants to build one). It's called &quot;Clone Wars&quot;. I don't have a cover date, but when it hits the newsstands, it should help point you in the right direction.

Take care man.

Wayne Scraba
Old 05-05-2010, 11:51 PM

Hi chris Im Bob krueger I would be happy to answer any questions you have on a 68 yenko camaro.I am the original owner of one 1968yenko camaro #8016 dec. 2004 featured car that month.(look it up at this site under featured cars) In fact I still have all the paperwork on the car inc. windowsticker, sales contract,paymentbook, and lots of pictures.the present car as I view it has about 5 mistakes on the restoreation Im the guy in the picture at NORTHSTAR DRAGWAYS next to the ralley green yenko with the trophy.lots of bad info. about that car under the pics. on this site. car had about 600 650 h.p. then ,I did the work. please reply Bob krueger
Old 05-06-2010, 03:42 PM

Thanks Bob,

The guys here have been a big help and my thanks again to Wayne and I will read his article coming up in Muscle car review magazine with interest. This has always been a touchy subject as for the purist there is the original and the original only and I can understand that. My thought is that the quality of the car remains long after the conversation on real or fake has stopped.
The questions I am asking have surely been asked a thousand times and I suppose I am just after a basic list of do's and don'ts for the 68 Yenko.
It is not a numbers car but, unless you looked hard it would be hard to tell, is what we want here.
So without looking at stamping # on housings and distributors ect, what, in your opinion would be a walk up necessity for a Yenko??

Regards: Chris
Old 05-06-2010, 03:49 PM

Wayne,

Thanks again for clarifying the cyl head deal as it turns out I have a pair of closed chamber rect port cast heads (same head but 2 different p/n) and actually wanted to swap them for some open chamber heads for another project. Now they are the start of an L72 I hope.

Cheers Mate: Chris H
Old 05-06-2010, 03:59 PM

Glad you're on track. You and I are on the same page when it comes to original and clones. I for one will never have sufficient $$$ to buy an original, even though I pine for one. That makes clones the only reasonable option. I think you'll have a nice hot rod! And as far as I'm concerned, you can keep asking questions. If can answer them, I will.

Catch ya' later.

Wayne
Old 05-07-2010, 03:07 PM

Baldwin motion,

here are some more pics of my creation that you asked for.

it is a 1977 Holden one tonner cab chassis made by General Motors Australia and is factory apart from the rear clip. They were sold as a commercial vehicle so concreters, plumbers,builders ect had them. point was they came with heavy duty stuff 10 bolt 4.11 posi rear end with big axles a 308 CI V8 and your choice of 4 speed or T400. They were light and they were cheap (this one has a 427, glide and 9&quot (I intend to run super gas with it this year)

Cheers: auschris
Attached Images