Thanks

Al
Old 12-04-2007, 10:14 PM
Yenko Contributing Member

Default Re: ROTTING MUSCLECARS

[ QUOTE ]
[/image]

[/ QUOTE ]

Love that cut in the front! Someone needed 18 inches of '65 Impala grille/bumper/valance!
Old 12-05-2007, 12:44 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[/image]

[/ QUOTE ]

Love that cut in the front! Someone needed 18 inches of '65 Impala grille/bumper/valance!

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually, that looks a lot like an old scrappers trick to pull an engine when there was no hoist available--cut however much you need off the nose to clear the engine and drag it out the front with a heavy chain. Seen it done more times than I care to remember. (I still shudder at the memories)

Eric
Old 12-05-2007, 01:00 AM

I have watched my great Uncles do that several times. They torch the front end and sometimes the mounts and secure a HUGE logging chain to the engine and take off in the truck and when the chain reaches the end.... out comes engine and trans. Load em up and scrap em. I watched them do it to a pristine falcon pickup truck once. They jerked the engine/trans and part of the cap off the car. Chain was about 80 ft long . Fun to watch .

Tommy
Old 12-05-2007, 01:28 AM

Back in the late sixties we would pick up old cars and bring them to the junkyard
in Jamaica (Queens) . You got $13 if it had a battery, starter, generator and radiator.
It did not matter what else was or wasn't in the car.
They would climb on top of the car, whack a hole in the roof with an axe and hook it
with a crane.
It would be hoisted about three feet and the wheels came off with a T wrench.
With the car about six feet off the ground they would torch the engine and trans mounts
and cut the drive shaft. A bounce or two with the crane and the whole mess would fall out.
The car would be hoisted about ten feet away and another whack with the axe would drain
the gas tank. Then up on the pile it went, total time five minutes.
Everything drained on the ground and it was like quicksand walking through it.
I never saw a fire, a car land on anyones head or anyone from the EPA!
I'm sure the location should have been a Superfund site by the nineties!
Old 12-05-2007, 05:01 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Jrn101, I like your pics alot too. It's hard to save em all. I live in a subdivision and have to be careful what I bring home and have to be quick about stripping them... The pics are awesome though. Lots of the ones I see and get a pic of are destined for the crusher too. All the ones I submitted last week are about 15 minutes from a recycling center.... It's just a matter of time... I was talking to some guys in the area last week at a body shop and they were telling me that the thieves in the area are pulling wire from the center pivots in the fields and taking them to scrap as well as pulling it all out of grain bins. It is costing farmers thousands to replace it. At the junkyard last week the owner was telling me that thieves sneak in at night and steal his catalytic converters.... I can't stand a thief. As time goes on however, anything that isn't running or being watched closely will be hauled in for scrap... It's best to photograph the ones that can't be saved. Keep posting them, sometimes it's better than a sad country song... "dog died, wife left with best friend.... car got crushed... Sure miss the car and dog"....

Tommy

[/ QUOTE ]
iam pretty lucky where i live my neighbors are getting use to me after about 6 years.i shovel their snow in winter and it keeps them quiet all summer.like i said i try to save what i can and the owner of the yard i work at really dont cars much about cars so he dont save anything.his family owns 7 yards in wisconsin and the one i work ot is the smallest land wise but the busiest.we also have a big problem down here with theft of anything metal.a few weeks ago the cops caught 2 people with a huge spool of high power cable in the back of their truck stolen from the local power company.cat converters get stolen all the time.some can fetch as much as 275.00 or as low as 10.00.i also cant stand a thief but in the area i work the theives are all over.i will post more pics when i find the discs they are stored on.i have about 100 or so more pictures.i guess iam like DOG427435 except all his pictures awesome and mine are kind of sad to look at.but anyway thanks for taking the time to look at em......jason
Old 12-05-2007, 06:30 AM

Jason
Love your shots and appreciate the time you take to post them. Its amazing I don't know what it is
but something about looking at this old iron brings out memories and feelings I can't explain.
I guess its knowing how these cars started out and seeing how they have wound up - they are like
old friends who need help!
Hope you can find the rest, would love to see them.
Old 12-05-2007, 06:47 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't know what it is
but something about looking at this old iron brings out memories and feelings I can't explain.
I guess its knowing how these cars started out and seeing how they have wound up

[/ QUOTE ]

I look at the photos and imagine the day the cars were driven off the new-car lot by excited new owners who took them home to show their families and friends. Now look at them! "To everything turn, turn, turn."
Old 12-05-2007, 06:22 PM

Just found this thread and didn't read all of it yet. Isn't that the Nova that was sitting out near Birdsboro or Morgantown about 20 years ago?

Chevelle and Tri Five Parts

56 210
66 Chevelle
</span>
Old 12-05-2007, 07:29 PM

What Nova?
67 RS Camaro-327/250hp, 2speed Glide, &amp; 3.08 Open (Danny's Ride)