Go Back   The Supercar Registry > Classified Section > Supercars/Musclecars-For Sale

Please note

Old 09-15-2006, 11:59 PM

Default Re: EBAY 9000 mile L-89 Camaro

Like Rick, I too have emailed the seller to ask a few questions as I mentioned in my earlier post. Here is one of the responses I got:

"EVERYTHING I HAVE STATED IS FROM THE OWNER AND HE IS A VERY HONEST MAN. THE CAR IS WHAT I SAY IT IS BECAUSE I ALSO AM VERY HONEST.I WOULD NOT WANT A BUNCH OF PHONE CALLS FROM PEOPLE TO HELP THE NEXT GUY SELL THE CAR WHEN I OWNED IT SINCE I WAS 17 AND WAS FORCED TO SELL FOR HEALTH REASONS."

Although he claims to be an honest man he makes no mention of the fact that he "MAYBE" won this in a poker game from his schill bidding partner as he alluded to in his email to Rick. In fact he makes no mention of it at all and implies he bought it from the original owner.

I am all for people making a buck along the way as long as they are honest and fair about it. Hell that's the American way! However IMHO this seller is not being fair and certainly it does not appear that he is being honest despite his claim he is. Too bad the original owner, if there is one, doesn't know about it. Check some of the dates out on the cancelled title and, to me, they seem to be all over the place however I don't know much about Ohio titles.

The car may be the real deal however I have asked the seller three days ago if he or the original owner would back up his claims about the car in a written, signed and notarized statement. I have not heard from him since that request. Throw in the questionable bidding practice taking place as well, the implied comment that the window sticker and original BOS is in storage and that the car is worth every bit of $100K as it is now and when you look at the entire picture you can see the that is taking place. He will not provide and info on the POP which we all know can be duplicated.

In my humble opinion the car( even if it is indeed a real L89), as it is now, is no where near being worth $100K especially with a NOM drive train let alone the price which is currently on Ebay. I have been researching L89's for quite a while as well as owning one myself. I know a few things about them.

Based on what I have seen unfold over the last few days, I would be very hesitant about this particular deal and the person(s) you are dealing with.

Old 09-16-2006, 12:23 AM
Yenko Contributing Member

Thanked 4,082 Times in 1,074 Posts

I hope whoever does a deal on this car makes the sale contingent on getting the window sticker and bill of sale that are in storage somewhere. Maybe pay a very reduced amount and the balance when the orig paperwork appears. If you pay the full amount for the car up front there is absolutely no incentive for the seller to try and locate this paperwork.
Old 09-16-2006, 01:30 AM

Excellent advice Charley.

If anyone on this board makes a play for the car remember, to be forewarned is to be forearmed, as far as this deal goes.

<font color="red"> Approach with Caution
Old 09-16-2006, 03:58 AM
Yenko Contributing Member

Thanked 2,034 Times in 808 Posts

And remember, in many cases the paperwork is worth more than the car. That's why it's important to verify and secure the paperwork with the deal.
Old 09-16-2006, 04:31 AM

Auction ended early. Who do you think bought it?

1970 Chevelle Droptop
Period Correct Speed Parts
482 BBC, M22 or TH400?
Day 2 Super Stock Rocks
Old 09-16-2006, 04:35 AM

Probably some poker player named pontiachomeslice.

Rick H.
Old 09-16-2006, 05:13 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Auction ended early. Who do you think bought it?

[/ QUOTE ]

Maybe someone gave him the $100K?
Old 09-16-2006, 05:25 AM

I doubt it Jeff. More than likely he ended the auction early because he got wind of the ebay investigation. I say it'll be back (unless he and his "Partner" are kicked off ebay), and the next time, there won't be any bids from "Pontiachomeslice".

Ed
CRG Member
Old 09-16-2006, 05:40 AM

I bet it was much less than $100K.

1970 Chevelle Droptop
Period Correct Speed Parts
482 BBC, M22 or TH400?
Day 2 Super Stock Rocks
Old 09-16-2006, 07:02 AM

Caveat Emptor!!

In any auction situation there may be dubious bidding. In fact many of the major auction houses have it written into their sellers contracts.

A person whom is intent on making a purchase must do their research and know the value of something before becoming emotional about bidding. If you know what you are buying and set a limit it will be difficult to be scammed into overpaying.

This site is an amazing tool for researching and learning from some of the incredibly knowledgeable car buffs on here!

In regards to this particular auction. This one don't smell right, do it? If I was going to spend over $50,000 on a vehicle I would spend the $400 bucks to fly there and see it in person.

1974 Jeep CJ5 - 304 V8, Edelbrock Intake, Holley 650, MSD Ignition, Patriot Headers