Go Back   The Supercar Registry > General Discussion > Technical & Restoration

Old 05-28-2017, 12:27 PM
Banned

Thanked 1,487 Times in 609 Posts

Use an old tooth brush and knock off the heavy rust then just rub it down with your fingers. Leave it as is and the oils (assuming you dont have acidic hands that sweat) from your hands will preserve it. Dont remove the rust with a rust remover as if it still has the tape on it it COULD lift the adhesive on the tape or damage it.

Reason I mention acidic hands; I had a kid that worked under me at a previous job and everything he touched (tools included) would rust within a day if it wasn't wiped down with WD40. One of the craziest things I ever seen.
Old 05-28-2017, 03:20 PM

i have acidic hands..i struggled as a painter..never had an issue til i sprayed Sikkens, on dark cars, they came back with a perfect hand print, right down to finger prints..

had to learn how to deal with it..continuous hand washing, and then gloves fixed it..but had to pay attention all the time..
Old 05-28-2017, 04:21 PM
Yenko Contributing Member

Thanked 2,378 Times in 752 Posts

Just leave it as is. Take photos of it with a light source from the side so it shows the embossed letters more clearly. Then put the protecto-plate back in the safe deposit box.

Evaporust will dissolve the adhesive on the original tape as it is dissolving the rust.

That is a vital, irreplaceable, original, piece of documentation from your car. Anything that touches it will be a destructive force on it - i.e. brass brush, finger rubbing, vineger, Evaporust.

It is worth its weight in gold because it is in its original condition. If you alter it, then there be questions about it authenticity in the future.

Last edited by njsteve; 05-28-2017 at 04:27 PM.
Old 05-30-2017, 08:16 PM
Yenko Contributing Member

Really?
Personally, I'd dip it. It's worthless if you can't read it.
I saw one that was done and it came out really nice. You don't have to leave it for days, just til enough is gone that is it legible if you want patina.