Go Back   The Supercar Registry > General Discussion > Lounge

Old 10-08-2021, 12:42 AM
Yenko Contributing Member

Thanked 2,843 Times in 1,346 Posts
Default What did you work on today ?

Another forum I've been on for several years has one of these threads that has been running for about 7 years. Thought I would post what I have been doing the past few days at work.
1968 Mustang that had rust holes thru the frame rail ahead of the apron. Manager told the owner we could "slip" a new rail in. He ordered a complete rail and it was sent to me in the back room. I told him the first thing we need to do is pull the engine/trans. "Say what, can't you levitate them to replace the rail"? Um, no, this is a unibody and the rail is spot welded to the apron from the inside...where the engine is...
Anyway, I removed the lower suspension but had to wait for the owner to get a new spring compressor, as someone had misplaced, or "borrowed" it and no on could find it in the building. After removing the drivetrain, I started drilling out the spot welds and removed the rail ahead of the shock tower. I had to cut open the outer rail at the tower, as there was ONE spot weld that wasn't accessible from the engine bay and that area was right behind the upper control arm.

I then moved to the rear of the rail and analyzed the cobbled, patch job back there. Someone had been in there and replaced the torque box and toe board but only patched the rail and not all that well either.

I needed to get the patch out of the way to access the flange on the torque box to rail, so I cut that out.
Oh, yeah, nice patch job...

I cut the TB in half to access the rear of the rail that is SUPPOSED to have a weld flange at the toe board to drill out the spot welds, but the patch didn't have the flange... Oh well, the emplacement rail does, so I still needed to get in there to weld the new one in.

The new spring compressor came the next morning, so it took all of 2 minutes to get that out. MAN this new tool is way better than the worn out old one !!

Finished drilling the rest of the spot welds and removed the debris. Any of you Mustang guys notice what else the previous patcher didn't do with the replacement frame extension ?

Did a test fit and tweak with the new rail and marked all the spot weld holes to remove the EDP.

THIS is the flange that should have been on the previous patch.

I was able to get the 2 oval alignment holes to match up very well, so knew it was far enough back.

The crossmember is a very precise part that keeps the distance between the rails accurate. It has tapered head bolts that when tightened, holds that tolerance. I was pleased that the member and bolts when right in without any forcing, or movement of the rail.

As of 3 pm, when my "day" is done, the rail and car are all prepped and the rail locked in place, ready for welding when I go back on Monday. I usually work Monday-Wednesday, but I had to skip yesterday to work with an excavator who cut out a spot in my yard and built a gravel pad for a new 12X16 shed, so I worked today to make that up.
The shed is my home project for the next week or so.

SO, what did you do "today" ??
1967 Camaro ss/rs
1938 Business coupe, street rod
2000 FXSTS, original owner, 13k miles
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Too Many Projects For This Useful Post:
dustinm (10-08-2021), L_e_e (10-08-2021), PeteLeathersac (10-09-2021), RPOLS3 (10-08-2021), scuncio (10-08-2021)
Attachments - The Supercar Registry ZLift.jpg Zfuel pump wrench.jpg YZ100-1.jpg wrench.jpg
O Garage vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.
Click here to view all the pictures posted in this thread...
Old 10-08-2021, 02:40 AM

Thanked 1,498 Times in 719 Posts

Today?

1. Attempted to find a gallon of paint to repaint my bathroom. Apparently paint is in short supply at some stores, like so many other things. I was finally successful at finding the brand and color that I wanted, but it wasn't easy.

2. Continuation of my attempt to get my sometimes-malfunctioning cell phone fixed. Massive circle-jerk. Hours on the phone and/or waiting for a callback from my provider (Consumer Cellular) or the phone insurance provider. Fruitless trips to a local cell phone repair shop and a local Consumer Cellular retail outlet.

3. Consume adult beverages in an attempt to forget the frustrations encountered with #1 & #2.

73 Camaro RS Z28, L82, M20, C60

Last edited by Bill Pritchard; 10-08-2021 at 02:43 AM.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Bill Pritchard For This Useful Post:
Damien (10-09-2021), dustinm (10-08-2021), dykstra (10-10-2021), scuncio (10-08-2021), Too Many Projects (10-08-2021)
Old 10-08-2021, 03:59 AM

My cell phone ringer doesn't work anymore. I've stopped into a local "repair" place twice and been told they will order a new speaker and call me when it's in. Been 3 months since the first visit and 6 weeks since the second. I'm not hopeful that they will ever call.
1967 Camaro ss/rs
Old 10-08-2021, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Too Many Projects View Post
Another forum I've been on for several years has one of these threads that has been running for about 7 years. Thought I would post what I have been doing the past few days at work.
1968 Mustang that had rust holes thru the frame rail ahead of the apron. Manager told the owner we could "slip" a new rail in. He ordered a complete rail and it was sent to me in the back room. I told him the first thing we need to do is pull the engine/trans. "Say what, can't you levitate them to replace the rail"? Um, no, this is a unibody and the rail is spot welded to the apron from the inside...where the engine is...
Anyway, I removed the lower suspension but had to wait for the owner to get a new spring compressor, as someone had misplaced, or "borrowed" it and no on could find it in the building. After removing the drivetrain, I started drilling out the spot welds and removed the rail ahead of the shock tower. I had to cut open the outer rail at the tower, as there was ONE spot weld that wasn't accessible from the engine bay and that area was right behind the upper control arm.

I then moved to the rear of the rail and analyzed the cobbled, patch job back there. Someone had been in there and replaced the torque box and toe board but only patched the rail and not all that well either.

I needed to get the patch out of the way to access the flange on the torque box to rail, so I cut that out.
Oh, yeah, nice patch job...

I cut the TB in half to access the rear of the rail that is SUPPOSED to have a weld flange at the toe board to drill out the spot welds, but the patch didn't have the flange... Oh well, the emplacement rail does, so I still needed to get in there to weld the new one in.

The new spring compressor came the next morning, so it took all of 2 minutes to get that out. MAN this new tool is way better than the worn out old one !!

Finished drilling the rest of the spot welds and removed the debris. Any of you Mustang guys notice what else the previous patcher didn't do with the replacement frame extension ?

Did a test fit and tweak with the new rail and marked all the spot weld holes to remove the EDP.

THIS is the flange that should have been on the previous patch.

I was able to get the 2 oval alignment holes to match up very well, so knew it was far enough back.

The crossmember is a very precise part that keeps the distance between the rails accurate. It has tapered head bolts that when tightened, holds that tolerance. I was pleased that the member and bolts when right in without any forcing, or movement of the rail.

As of 3 pm, when my "day" is done, the rail and car are all prepped and the rail locked in place, ready for welding when I go back on Monday. I usually work Monday-Wednesday, but I had to skip yesterday to work with an excavator who cut out a spot in my yard and built a gravel pad for a new 12X16 shed, so I worked today to make that up.
The shed is my home project for the next week or so.

SO, what did you do "today" ??
I read your post and need the manufacture of that awesome spring compressor you showed a picture of!
Old 10-08-2021, 04:48 PM

Thanked 3,812 Times in 993 Posts

Besides all the other cars we are working on, we took a break for a one owner, original owner 70 SS396 M20 in for a laundry list of mechanical repairs. Extremely nice original car. I located 2 buildsheets in the rear seat while putting in a package tray so that made the owner's day. We also replaced the tires with the correct restoration tire for those that may ask.
Attached Images

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=62r-6vgk2_8
specializing in (only real) LS6 Chevelle restorations
The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to SS427 For This Useful Post:
67since67 (10-08-2021), carnut4life (10-08-2021), Damien (10-09-2021), Daves70SS (10-08-2021), dykstra (10-10-2021), Lee Stewart (10-08-2021), MosportGreen66 (10-08-2021), PeteLeathersac (10-09-2021), RPOLS3 (10-08-2021), ruralrte66 (10-09-2021), Too Many Projects (10-08-2021), ZAPPER68 (10-10-2021)
Old 10-08-2021, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonL78 View Post
I read your post and need the manufacture of that awesome spring compressor you showed a picture of!

OTC from Summit. I think the shop owner said Jegs was a little less cost, but was 2-3 day delivery. We called Summit and they shipped it overnight from Talmadge at NO extra cost... I got it Wednesday morning.

And guess what ??? The other part timer that works on Thursday and Friday on the frame racks up front came in yesterday morning and the owner asked him about it. He had used the old compressor the week before and didn't put it back. We looked EVERYWHERE for that tool, but he had buried it under parts of the car he was dismantling for repair...

No big loss, that one is so worn out, it is dangerous. I had another Mustang spring come out of it several years back as I was setting it down on the floor to release it. Luckily, the spring flew across the whole shop and hit some racking and didn't hurt anything. I hated that old compressor so am glad I have a new one to work with.
1967 Camaro ss/rs
Old 10-08-2021, 06:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonL78 View Post
100% need the name of it...
Old 10-08-2021, 06:13 PM

Thanked 1,946 Times in 499 Posts

I rotated the tires and successfully used 3M’s headlight refinishing (cut buff n chemical seal) kit on my 16yr old daughters recently acquired one owner low mile PT Cruiser GT.
Attached Images

The Following User Says Thank You to tom406 For This Useful Post:
Too Many Projects (10-08-2021)
Old 10-08-2021, 06:15 PM

Thanked 2,473 Times in 1,154 Posts

Have only spent about four hours at the office this week. We worked all week on a fundraiser for our museum project. Rescuing this building and all of the really cool artifacts us just overwhelming.

We raised almost $100k at our first fundraiser last night. That sounds like a lot, but it will take at least $10,000,000 to do justice to this old building. Third floor windows have been boarded up (sadly, from the inside) since the mid 60's. If we raise that much every year it would take 100 years to get to $10m. But, we have to start somewhere, and show folks we are serious before we can expect big money from the foundations and individuals with deep pockets.

Building was built in 1902. First pic is pre-1910. The second pic is from about 2005.

Last pic is from 2012.

Five minute video right here: https://publishingmuseum.org/publish...ndraiser-2020/

Lots more on the website.
Attached Images

carnut4life (10-08-2021), Donnie (10-08-2021), dykstra (10-10-2021), L_e_e (10-10-2021), markinnaples (10-14-2021), olredalert (10-08-2021), ruralrte66 (10-09-2021), tom406 (10-08-2021), Too Many Projects (10-08-2021)
Old 10-08-2021, 09:44 PM

Thanked 3,755 Times in 1,592 Posts

----Assembled a really cool 6 foot tall cabinet (3 feet wide by 1 1/2 deep) and on HD castors. Polished stainless doors, and really pretty good quality. Company name is Seville Classics. For once the directions were pretty good (that was a surprise for me). Started about 2:30 as I had a doctors appointment in the morning and just finished about 20 minutes ago! Look 'em up, they are all over the internet. Got mine at Sam's Club for $199.....Bill S
The Following User Says Thank You to olredalert For This Useful Post:
Too Many Projects (10-08-2021)