Go Back   The Supercar Registry > General Discussion > Supercar/Musclecar Discussion

Old 11-18-2019, 02:23 PM
Yenko Contributing Member

I went through a broker and they did most of the paperwork. But when I went to NJ dmv to title and register, they still required a form that the broker said nobody uses anymore. The broker had a carbon copy form and was able to fill it out and send it to me. Then NJ dmv said the bill of sale had to be notarized in Canada with the Canadian seal, so definitely check with your state dmv to see what they say.
carnut4life (11-19-2019), ZiggyL78 (11-18-2019)
Old 11-18-2019, 10:55 PM

Yes Jeff, you and njsteve's story seem to point to New Jersey being a nightmare to title a car from Canada in
Old 11-18-2019, 11:41 PM

Thanked 1,990 Times in 637 Posts

Thanks for the replies everyone, I will look into doing it myself when I get back home off the road. I remember njsteve's nightmare of getting his 72 Formula titledin NJ, hopefully Iowa is a LOT easier? If not I might end up regretting this. But like I've said before, it's amazing what a guy will do for the right car.
Old 11-19-2019, 02:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1967Z28 View Post
I'm interested in an old dirt bike that happens to be outside Montreal, Quebec but there is no title. Is there no way to get it into the U.S.?

Take the train, drive it back to the D. Your in Lol
Old 11-19-2019, 04:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff H View Post
I went through a broker and they did most of the paperwork. But when I went to NJ dmv to title and register, they still required a form that the broker said nobody uses anymore. The broker had a carbon copy form and was able to fill it out and send it to me. Then NJ dmv said the bill of sale had to be notarized in Canada with the Canadian seal, so definitely check with your state dmv to see what they say.
I also live in NJ.

Oh my, where do I begin..... I just purchased a 17K mile, unrestored SS427 out of Winnipeg that was born in Canada (St. Therese), and never left Canada. This makes a huge difference. If the car was imported to Canada and you're taking it back to the states, much easier. If born and raised in Canada and never left, all kinds of BS paperwork (EPA, Homeland Security, Powers of attorney, Canadian ownership docs since there is no title, etc.). A very good friend owns AMJ Campbell in Canada (a moving company who deals with cross border stuff all the time). They hooked me up with Cross Border Solutions, a broker out of Toronto who handled most everything. Car cleared the border and made it here in 6 weeks. Needed to wait another 30 days to get all the original paperwork needed to make it mine. Then NJ required more paperwork. Needed the ownership docs and the bill of sale notorized. Had to get everything re-done. Took 90 days to be able to get my title. Real PITA. I knew what I was getting involved in, but the car was so special, I figured the juice was worth the squeeze. Not an easy process. Just make sure you know what you're getting involved in. NJ was most of the problem for sure. Stupid laws here.

Donny
The Following User Says Thank You to aawtech For This Useful Post:
carnut4life (11-19-2019)
Old 11-22-2019, 01:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1967Z28 View Post
I'm interested in an old dirt bike that happens to be outside Montreal, Quebec but there is no title. Is there no way to get it into the U.S.?
I'm in Montreal let me know if you need help checking out the bike not sure whats involved exporting to the US
Old 11-22-2019, 11:58 PM

Border Buddy was 250.00 Cdn ( 190.00 US)to do all the paperwork. Worth every dime. It may be different depending on which State you are importing to. I live on BC, Washington State border. One of the biggest things is the hours of operation of the “Import Team”. yes you can do it on your own for sure. Just saying. Coming from Washington to Canada is very similar. The biggest thing coming that way is US Customs. They need to see the car leaving the country. Title and bill of sale MUST be in the same name. Before it did not matter. Canadian border really only want $$$$ in duty and taxes. Good luck with your purchase. Not hard, just dot all your I’s, and cross the T’s. 😁. They can’t stop us car guys from getting what we want.
The Following User Says Thank You to 207 For This Useful Post:
carnut4life (11-23-2019)
Old 11-23-2019, 01:52 AM

Thanked 1,990 Times in 637 Posts

Thanks for the info 207, my car will be coming from BC to Washington. Do I need it titled in my name a bill of sale in my name? The current owner, who lives ten miles from the border, says if I go the Border Buddy rout he can drive it right into the US, pick me up at the airport and send me on my way. Current plan is for my son and I are going to fly to Spokane next spring and drive it home. He doesn't have passport or we'd just fly to Canada and bring it across ourselves.
Old 11-25-2019, 01:22 PM

207 means the current seller of the car (the person writing the bill of sale) must be the same person on the current Canadian title. It's gotta match.
carnut4life (11-26-2019)
Old 11-25-2019, 03:00 PM

Stop stealing all our cars my US buddies!