Go Back   The Supercar Registry > General Discussion > Supercar/Musclecar Discussion

Old 06-13-2015, 11:29 PM
Yenko Contributing Member

Default Rebody

SYC Community,

I purchased a 1968 Z/28 from Stefano Bimbi @ Nickey Registry on July 16th 2014. It was advertised here as a real car but without the original engine and transmission. (Link Below) I paid $32,000 for the car and took delivery in early August 2014.

I had the car at a reputable shop in May of 2015 for some work and it was discovered that the sub-frame had extensive rust damage but the body was in stellar condition. The shop called to tell me that this is usually the sign of a rebody. The shop confirmed threw the hidden VIN that the car is in fact a rebody. This was NOT disclosed at the time of the purchase.

At the MCACN show November 2014, I was able to meet the previous owner of the car and I got a bunch of paperwork that went along with the car. I went back through all the documents and sure enough the shop that performed the restoration performed a rebody. In fact, I have a receipt to prove this.

Two weeks ago, I contacted Stefano and made him aware of the situation. He offered to take the car back and resell it with proper rebody disclosure. No questions asked.

He has since changed his mind and told me that he would be glad to help <span style="text-decoration: underline">ME</span> sell the car and I would have to pay to get the car back to Chicago. He informed me that he and previous owner have no liability in the situation.

I was under the impression that anything posted here for sale would have to be backed up by the seller?

I have all documents to prove my situation.

All opinions gratefully accepted.

https://www.yenko.net/ubbthreads/ubbt...mod#Post574980
[/b]
Old 06-13-2015, 11:54 PM

Thanked 3,689 Times in 997 Posts
Default Re: Rebody

For now please let only the involved parties post.
Old 06-14-2015, 12:36 AM

Guys,

I thought this was a public forum? I just asked for opinions. We are both entitled to our factual opinions.

Also, I thought the seller was supposed to refund for any unsatisfactory purchases that were posted here?

I have the documentation over the past two weeks that I have tried to get this resolved.

I purchased this car from Stefano. No one else.

Thanks,

Jason
Old 06-14-2015, 07:05 AM

Thanked 3,689 Times in 997 Posts

It is a public forum and I have heard from both of you privately. I would like Stefano to post his response. In November 14 you got paperwork on the car and in the paperwork was the rebody. You continue to use the car for the next 7 months and now decide you want a refund. My understanding is Stefano offered to sell the car for you at no charge with full disclosure back then but you weren't worried about it.
Old 06-14-2015, 11:28 AM

Ugh car dealers. So sorry
Old 06-14-2015, 12:11 PM

That is not a true statement Charlie.

I received the packet of paperwork in November. I had no reason to go through this information looking for information pertaining to a rebody. This was simply a packet of information in case I ever needed to sell the car. I’m an admitted novice. I’m not sure I would have known to even look for that. Keep in mind, I thought I had purchased a “restored” car.

May 2015 – I took the car to Dave McGaffee to have some work done. Upon inspection, Dave notice the extensive rust damage to the sub frame. Once he contacted me, I went through the paperwork. This is when I found the information on the ”body swap”. Dave had to explain to me what this meant. He then checked the hidden VIN and confirmed.

I then reached out to Stefano. He asked to see the proof and I provided him with the documentation.

Weather is bad here in Ohio from November through March. The car sat until I could get it to Columbus.

This still does not change the fact that this car was falsely advertised. Period.

I will wait for a response.

Thanks,

Jason Ball
Old 06-14-2015, 01:44 PM

Charlie,

I'm simply following the rules posted here.

Can you comment on the satisfaction guarantee that is mentioned below?

Old 06-14-2015, 07:18 PM

You are right Jason. It states &quot;we still have the satisfaction guarantee rule. If it is yours you need to stand behind what you are selling or risk being able to post here.&quot;
Old 06-14-2015, 10:00 PM

Thanked 5,992 Times in 2,923 Posts

I'm not sure why any of us feels the need to voice our opinions (and they are no more than opinions) when this is between Jason and Stefano, and possibly Charley. It's an unfortunate situation and our comments are irrelevant in resolving the situation. Yes, I realize the irony of this statement in the context of having replied to this thread myself. I see these kinds of situations deteriorating very quickly when everyone piles in on a public forum.

And Des, I think Jason's point in calling out the winter weather was to imply that he didn't drive it for most of the time he's owned it.

I hope you guys can resolve this amicably.
Old 06-14-2015, 10:10 PM

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: scuncio</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm not sure why any of us feels the need to voice our opinions (and they are no more than opinions) when this is between Jason and Stefano, </div></div>

Because he asked for them.