Go Back   The Supercar Registry > General Discussion > Supercar/Musclecar Discussion

Old 11-27-2018, 04:25 AM
Yenko Contributing Member

Default Contacting Car's Original Owner

Well after years of trying to track down my car's original owner after he moved, I recently found a new lead which has led to a new address and phone number half way across the USA from where he originally lived and owned/raced the car.
Before I pick up the phone, just thought I would ask any of you who have either already done this, or have been in the original owner's position of getting a cold call from a stranger (especially one 'down under'), what works well and what should be avoided upon initial contact?
Don't want to freak him out, but naturally I'm excited at the possibility of making contact at last and learning ANY new details about the car. Photos or paperwork would be icing on the cake but I'd settle for a good chat; Hopefully he has total recall
Ran at Lions Dragstrip and Pomona Raceway, with paint by Bob Kovacs of Fresno.
Attachments - The Supercar Registry ZZZZZZ.JPG tn_LS6 when new2.jpg 1987 documents.jpg
O Garage vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.
Click here to view all the pictures posted in this thread...
Old 11-27-2018, 06:37 AM

Congrats on the new lead. I’ve made that very same phone call quite a few times, and was nervous each and every time. But, with only one exception, the previous owners were thrilled to discuss their old car with me. I started each call with something like, “Hello, my name is Wade, and I own an old car. By any chance did you used to own a ________ (color) _________ (year) ________ (model)?” From that point on just listen, answer questions, and enjoy the ride. As nervous as you might be, if you do strike gold the conversation that follows can be exhilarating! Yes, you might even get lucky enough to score old photos or paperwork, or just stories that you can preserve with your car. Definitely worth taking a shot.

Best of Luck!
- Wade

Last edited by cudino; 11-27-2018 at 06:30 PM.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to cudino For This Useful Post:
dykstra (11-28-2018), PeteLeathersac (11-27-2018), Xplantdad (11-27-2018), ZLP955 (11-27-2018)
Old 11-27-2018, 08:55 AM

Likewise, congrats Tim. Nervous excitement is warranted. I have only had this opportunity once and it was not the original owner, but instead, clearing up a clouded title after 35 years!
My advice is; take a moment to be in the proverbial shoes of the call-ee? Imagine you were getting ”that” call. This will help you formulate the diplomacy to start the conversation? While “we” are all giddy about the prospects of this breakthrough moment, the person you call may be less enthusiastic? And, in an era of identity theft, over intrusive government and marketers, incessant scams and telemarketer overreach, don’t be surprised if your call is met with hostility and skepticism? I would take time to formulate a diplomatic opening statement, so as to not be immediately dismissed and hung up on through a misunderstanding.

My own story was a Model A I bought online several years back. Amazingly, the owner from 1974 sold the car without signing the back of the title, so it could not be transferred. The ad for the car said it ran and had title and was only $1500! I had to make a hasty decision as I knew it would not last at that price. It was after I committed to purchase the seller went on to explain the title situation. I asked for the name and address of the person (a woman)on this title before making the trip to retrieve the now, seemingly poor decision and purchase. Upon hanging up the phone, I got online and did a person search. To my amazement, and delight, I had the last laugh, because not only did I find the lady on the title, she still lived at the same address as on the title from ‘74! A phone number was provided, as well. I got up the courage to make that call. Upon answering, I said,” Uh, I am so and so and I live in Ohio. I am not sure how to start this conversation, so I will just be direct, but I would like to know if you owned a Model A back in 1974?” I was met with a, “Why yes!” And the rest went so well. She offered to take care of the title for which I promised that I would pay all fees and compensate for any inconvenience of her time in the matter. I sent her flowers and a friendship flourished. She explained that a car dealer pestered her to sell them the car. When she finally agreed, the dealer told her not to worry about the title, they would take care of everything. Crazy? We exchanged Christmas cards that year. The next year, I got a Christmas card from just her hubby. He gave me the news of her passing that year. It was sobering to realize I came that close to not taking care of this title.
Tim, please, I did not intend to hijack your post. But the story was too good to not tell and, as the late Paul Harvey would say, “ And that, is the rest of the story...gooday.”

69 SS/RS 396 M20 X22 Nor 12B,72B,712 bought 1979
FULL OWNER HISTORY
69 Dick Harrell tribute Day II 427 M20 4.10 X11 76 orig pnt, 711
67 Super Stock 302 Camaro re-creation
The Following User Says Thank You to bbbentley For This Useful Post:
ZLP955 (11-27-2018)
Old 11-27-2018, 09:24 AM

Thanks Wade and Bentley. Yes, possibly overthinking this but very wise advice; I sent the original owner a letter probably 5 years ago, enclosing photos of the car as I bought it. I hoped he would get in touch but as I'm not in the USA, couldn't enclose a reply-paid envelope. So not sure if he got the letter and wasn't interested in any contact, or if he had already moved across the country and the letter was never received.
I think my biggest concern is how a person would react to feeling they've been hunted down via the internet and cold-called in their home..... nowadays privacy is not what it once was.
Another consideration is the time of day to phone, over here business marketing callers often call in the evenings and it drives me crazy, disturbing family meal times; is there any particular times it's considered ok to phone if not family/friends?

BTW great story on the Model A Bentley! Interestingly, the 'A-bone' was built locally here too, down in Victoria; quite a few still survive due to the climate, and my in-laws recall running one on the family sheep farm well into the 70's.
Ran at Lions Dragstrip and Pomona Raceway, with paint by Bob Kovacs of Fresno.

Last edited by ZLP955; 11-27-2018 at 09:30 AM.
Old 11-27-2018, 09:55 AM

Thanked 2,378 Times in 752 Posts

The original owner of my SD455 was ecstatic. I call him. No one was home so I left a message saying who I was and that I had a 73 Firebird that I think he bought new.

Within ten minutes he called back, all out of breath repeating the same phrase: "YOU FOUND HER! YOU FOUND HER!!!!!"

and the rest is history. :-)
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to njsteve For This Useful Post:
Xplantdad (11-27-2018), ZLP955 (11-27-2018)
Old 11-27-2018, 10:02 AM

Tim, I've done this as well with my silver 69. I made contact first by sending a letter with a description of the car, my name and number. Also, included an apology in case he didn't care to hear from me. I received a call the next evening and we talked for hours. He was so excited to finally hear back from his car. We've remained in contact over the years and in 2013 my wife and I drove the car to him so he could experience it again(as an unrestored old car). Very exciting and memorable. I wish you luck and look forward to hearing about it.
The Following User Says Thank You to JKZ27 For This Useful Post:
ZLP955 (11-27-2018)
Old 11-27-2018, 10:14 AM

Thanked 1,231 Times in 576 Posts

Contact him ASAP. There can be significant documents pertaining to your car. Here is an image of my first face to face meeting with the original owner of the last Norwood Camaro.

This meeting came about through persistence. It took me a year and a half to set up the meeting, and the timing had to be perfect to reach an agreement to release the documentation.
Attached Images

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 70 copo For This Useful Post:
YENKO DEUCE REGISTRY (11-28-2018), ZLP955 (11-27-2018)
Old 11-27-2018, 11:27 AM

I have never met a previous owner who was not thrilled to hear about their old car. Make that call! Im sure you will find the same thing

1971 Torino 351c 4v GT convertible. White/white with black,4 speed, shaker, am/fm, ps/pdb, buckets/console, ac, flip headlights

1969 GTO Judge Warwick blue/blue, RAIII, 4 speed, tach/gauges, safe t track, flip headlights, 3.55's, ps and radio.
The Following User Says Thank You to flyingn For This Useful Post:
ZLP955 (11-27-2018)
Old 11-27-2018, 11:52 AM

I've been trying to track down the original owner(s) of my 70 Nova for years (who of all things lost it to his wife in a divorce in 72, and egged the car the night before she left with it) I've contacted all the previous owners, and with the exception of two being, shall we say "eccentric" it all went well (one even still had parts from the car). I would say the hardest thing with a cold call, is convincing whoever answers that you are not some kind of telemarketer. But do it right away, as one day can make all the difference...
ZLP955 (11-27-2018)
Old 11-27-2018, 12:42 PM

Thanked 4,476 Times in 1,242 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by njsteve View Post
The original owner of my SD455 was ecstatic. I call him. No one was home so I left a message saying who I was and that I had a 73 Firebird that I think he bought new.

Within ten minutes he called back, all out of breath repeating the same phrase: "YOU FOUND HER! YOU FOUND HER!!!!!"

and the rest is history. :-)
I restored a Farmall tractor that I purchased out of a field locally.

After I finished it I drove it back over to the seller's house to show them.

The wife answered the door and said "oh my. OH MY!"

When the husband came out, he walked around it and pretty much the only thing he said was "Damn fine job. Damn fine job!"

K
'74 Chevelle - original owner, 9.85 @ 136 mph best