Go Back   The Supercar Registry > General Discussion > Lounge

Old 02-14-2020, 07:33 PM

Thanked 1,379 Times in 670 Posts
Default Sell or keep and build?

Some may know this, but I have a DZ302 in my '68 Camaro that was built BITD to race with 13-1 compression, tunnel ram, dual Holleys, etc., and last year it lost a valve and killed a piston, so now I'm at a decision point. I pulled the head and checked the bore and it's perfect, just like all of the rest, but now I need to decide what to do with it.

The block had been previously decked, so the DZ is gone and so far I can't see if there are any numbers down by the oil filter, but it doesn't look like it. It's a 3970010 block, so a common core.

Now, a couple thoughts/questions:

1. Because this is a common 3970010 block, can it be machined/bored to make it a 383 stroker, or are there characteristics of a DZ block that would prevent this (too much material to bore out, different clearances at the bottom of the cylinders, who knows?) from being a good block to make into a 383?

2. Should I just try to find another 350 block and make that into a 383 instead and just try to sell this block and crank? As stated above, the DZ is long gone and any attempts I've made to try to bring it back have been fruitless.

Just thought I'd get the thoughts of a lot of the intelligent and experienced people on this site. Appreciate your input, thanks.
John 10:30
Click here to view all the pictures posted in this thread...
Old 02-14-2020, 08:50 PM
Yenko Contributing Member

Thanked 2,550 Times in 1,173 Posts

No reason you can't use that block for a stroker. Exact same block as a late 69 350.

I would think the determining factors would be:

1. Can you POSITIVELY determine the partial VIN?

2. If yes, can this engine be reunited with the car it came from?

If either of those questions is definitively "NO", then do whatever you want. It is really not worth more than any other early 010 block.

The crank, if standard, has significant value by itself. Ditto, the rods if they are the original pink rods. You could sell the crank and rods together. Even if the crank has been ground, it has some value; just not what a std. std. crank will bring.

jmho.
Old 02-14-2020, 08:51 PM

KEEP IT.
If you're not racing it and just want a cruiser with minimum hassle pick up a assembled crate engine and enjoy driving it, for example. https://www.summitracing.com/parts/hpe-hp94
Old 02-14-2020, 09:40 PM

Thanked 3,779 Times in 1,599 Posts

----Lee,,,That looks a bit like what I want for the Corsican. Give me a call so we can see if it's workable...….Bill S

----Apologize for the intrution.
Old 02-14-2020, 09:41 PM

302/327/350 blocks all have a standard 4" bore. Any of those motors that are large journal engines can be stroked to 383ci. with a .030 overbore. If the standard 4" bore is good and you don't want to bore it then you end up with a 377ci. when you stroke it.