Go Back   The Supercar Registry > General Discussion > Supercar/Musclecar Discussion

Old 10-20-2020, 01:23 PM
Yenko Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brucebodyman View Post
Looked today for build/broadcast sheet no luck but I did find this tag in springs of driver side bucket.
Great find. Any paperwork is huge for an original car.
Old 10-20-2020, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brucebodyman View Post
Within that orange circle to the right it looks like 7_3 S can’t make out middle letter cuz of spring imprint. But interior code is 763 S which is black bucket with headrest code
Is that also 4F I see written too?
Old 10-20-2020, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MYSTERYCHEVELLE View Post
Is that also 4F I see written too?
Looks like it. I’ll try to figure it out or get better picture.
Old 10-20-2020, 08:11 PM

Thanked 3,611 Times in 712 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MYSTERYCHEVELLE View Post
No offense but I seriously doubt it. If we start stretching the “anything can happen” tune to comparing Pontiacs to Chevelle or a 360hp to what would be in 375hp ( 4 row wide tank ) to convince ourselves of things that we really don’t need convincing on., we open up a hornets nest for every guy who wants to claim his car is all original and God knows we have enough of that out there.

A 66 SS 360hp 4 speed car would not have a 4 row rad. Could you order one? Sure. But not something that would come standard. It would also be very unlikely to get an Automatic Trans installed in a factory 4 speed car. A carry over Rad would be from a 65. A small block. The 4th week of October was by no means EARLY in my book. I know nobody is claiming absolute here but we have plenty of heavy documentation on Radiators in 66 SS Chevelle. They aren’t interchangeable with Pontiac and not even close to what a 65 Chevelle Rad would be like.

Anyway. Sorry to get off track on your great post Bruce. Just adding my experience to the mix.
Mr. Mysterychevelle,

I congratulate you in your dedication and the time spent researching the cars you love.

I consider myself the same, but in the “stacked headlight” 65-67 GTOs.

I’ve been buying, selling and researching these cars down to the correct Factory overspray for 43+ years now.

I’ve always dealt with the Survivors or once painted Unrestored cars such as Bruce’s 66 Chevelle in this thread.

If I were to be at a car show and saw Bruce’s patina barn find off in the distance, I would certainly walk right past all the bright shiny restored cars (dime-a-dozen) to enjoy how the Factory built it.

My enthusiasm on this “as found car” caused me to misspeak on some Chevelle facts. My Bad.

I need to stick with what I know best, so as not to be scolded in front of the class. Too old for that experience!

BTW, assuming the Chevelle automobile was built on the same time frame as other cars, I’ll stand by my statement of “Relatively Early” on Bruce’s car.

Build year - Aug, Sept, Oct = about 13 weeks
Rest of build year - Nov. - July = about 36 weeks.

Have a Safe Day, Chris.
The Following User Says Thank You to 60sStuff For This Useful Post:
tom406 (10-21-2020)
Old 10-20-2020, 08:24 PM

Awesome find! Lots of interesting items to comment on or ask about. Flint cars are rare enough to find given they were mostly sold in the rust belt when new. But to find one that is not rotten and that is relatively unmolested now is very unusual, so worthy of study!! My thoughts and questions are:

1. Radiator – That is definitely a service replacement unit. After a certain amount of time they only carried AT rad’s for service replacement regardless of transmission. Those came with the plugs in the cooler lines so they could be used either way.

The G top tank code is July, and the F strap code is June, meaning the radiator was assembled in July. If the bottom tank letter code is DC, then it was assembled in 7/65. If it is BK, then that it was assembled in 7/66. If it is BG, then that it was assembled in 7/67. If it has no code, then it was assembled in 7/68 (or 69 or 70 or … ).

2. Heater hoses - I see the original spring clamp hanging on the water pump fitting. Do you think those are original heater hoses? If so, are they both ribbed? I see raised ribs on the big one. Is the small one ribbed or smooth? Any markings?

3. Tach – I see gauges in the dash, which means it came with a knee-knocker tach. Is the tach there? If so, that is a rare tach because it is a different unit with a different part number, made only for L34 with Transistor Ignition.

4. TI ignition wiring clip on firewall - That clip is not shown in the AIM for RPO K66. It shows the TI harness being hung in the plastic gutter along with the regular engine harness. So if that clip was factory installed it must have been a design change for the K66 option that never made it into the AIM.

Also if that clip was factory installed then it had to be done by the car assembly plant side (not the Fisher Body side), because there is no Trim Tag option code for the K66 option (which there would be if it resulted in Fisher Body having to do anything different or extra to the Body shell). So I would expect to see a spritz or a brush of black paint to cover the bare spot weld mark on the clip (since the firewall would have already been black when the body came over from the Fisher Body side). Can’t tell in the pic of there is any sign of that or not.

5. Vinyl top retainers - Those are the 63 to 66 version, made of stainless steel. Ultra rare to find them still in place, as it is almost impossible to remove them without destroying them. I have removed a couple sets and can tell you it is an all day job to get them out in any condition to reuse! The easier to work with mylar plastic version came out for 67 Camaros.

You will sometimes see restored 66’s that have used the mylar version, and I have had debates with some of those owners/restorers about the fact that they are not correct. One fellow claimed he “remembered them” from when the cars were new. But that would not explain how the part number for the mylar version is in sequence with other new Fisher Body roof components and roof trim part numbers that were first issued for 67 Camaros, so they did not even exist when 66’s were built!

6. Interesting that Flint apparently did not think seam sealer was necessary on the floor pan to toeboard seam, except up on the trans tunnel portion. Every other Chevelle plant sealed that seam from rocker to rocker

7. Does the car have a first design “5-hole” hood, or the second design “3-hole” hood? (Referring to the number of large holes underneath that got hood insulation.)

8. You mentioned the tail panel has been replaced. Have you checked the driver’s quarter closely? The crack below the quarter window and the flaking (that looks like bondo flaking) below the vinyl top trim looks just like a couple cars that I have owned that had NOS quarters put on way back in the day, where they cut the new quarter down to stay below the vinyl top and to stay out of the C-pillar structure. I would look and feel inside the quarter from inside the trunk to see if there is a weld seam or overlapped seam up in there.

9. On the left door, is that black along the bottom Zeibart that has run out of the pinch seam, or is it black primer like comes on NOS sheet metal? If you find that the quarter has been replaced, then if the door has black primer right underneath the red then I would think that the door got replaced at the same time,

10. The right door has definitely been replaced at some point because it is a 67 door. Note the little oval pre-punched hole in the inner structure in the jamb along the bottom body line at the back end of the door. That is for 67 Malibu lower trim. 66 doors don’t have that hole (but they do have one up in the middle of the door that corresponds with the location of 300-Deluxe side trim). You can also compare the size of the bulge around the lock knob hole. Early 66 doors barely have any bulge there. Late 66 (as in approx. June of 66) and all 67 doors have a large bulge there.

Again, extremely cool car, and congrats on the find!! Keep more pictures coming!
66 Chevelle L78 unrestored
67 Chevelle L78 unrestored
67 Camaro SS350 Survivor
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to jeffschevelle For This Useful Post:
60sStuff (10-20-2020), 67since67 (10-21-2020), galveston (10-20-2020), L72Biscayne (10-20-2020), PeteLeathersac (10-21-2020), ruralrte66 (10-21-2020)
Old 10-20-2020, 08:25 PM

Thanked 3,611 Times in 712 Posts

Hey Bruce,

I have a question on the RH bucket seat back in your ‘66.

When you fold the upper seat back forward is there a odd bumper with a spring steel catch device?

My ‘66 GTO Survivor has this item.
Some type of safety feature (won’t allow the seat back to fold forward when unoccupied in a panic stop) before the 67 seat back lock came out.

It seems not all the 66 GM cars have this.

LMK, thanks, Chris.
Attached Images

Last edited by 60sStuff; 10-20-2020 at 09:27 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to 60sStuff For This Useful Post:
Bill Pritchard (10-21-2020)
Old 10-20-2020, 10:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffschevelle View Post
Awesome find! Lots of interesting items to comment on or ask about. Flint cars are rare enough to find given they were mostly sold in the rust belt when new. But to find one that is not rotten and that is relatively unmolested now is very unusual, so worthy of study!! My thoughts and questions are:

1. Radiator – That is definitely a service replacement unit. After a certain amount of time they only carried AT rad’s for service replacement regardless of transmission. Those came with the plugs in the cooler lines so they could be used either way.

The G top tank code is July, and the F strap code is June, meaning the radiator was assembled in July. If the bottom tank letter code is DC, then it was assembled in 7/65. If it is BK, then that it was assembled in 7/66. If it is BG, then that it was assembled in 7/67. If it has no code, then it was assembled in 7/68 (or 69 or 70 or … ).

2. Heater hoses - I see the original spring clamp hanging on the water pump fitting. Do you think those are original heater hoses? If so, are they both ribbed? I see raised ribs on the big one. Is the small one ribbed or smooth? Any markings?

3. Tach – I see gauges in the dash, which means it came with a knee-knocker tach. Is the tach there? If so, that is a rare tach because it is a different unit with a different part number, made only for L34 with Transistor Ignition.

4. TI ignition wiring clip on firewall - That clip is not shown in the AIM for RPO K66. It shows the TI harness being hung in the plastic gutter along with the regular engine harness. So if that clip was factory installed it must have been a design change for the K66 option that never made it into the AIM.

Also if that clip was factory installed then it had to be done by the car assembly plant side (not the Fisher Body side), because there is no Trim Tag option code for the K66 option (which there would be if it resulted in Fisher Body having to do anything different or extra to the Body shell). So I would expect to see a spritz or a brush of black paint to cover the bare spot weld mark on the clip (since the firewall would have already been black when the body came over from the Fisher Body side). Can’t tell in the pic of there is any sign of that or not.

5. Vinyl top retainers - Those are the 63 to 66 version, made of stainless steel. Ultra rare to find them still in place, as it is almost impossible to remove them without destroying them. I have removed a couple sets and can tell you it is an all day job to get them out in any condition to reuse! The easier to work with mylar plastic version came out for 67 Camaros.

You will sometimes see restored 66’s that have used the mylar version, and I have had debates with some of those owners/restorers about the fact that they are not correct. One fellow claimed he “remembered them” from when the cars were new. But that would not explain how the part number for the mylar version is in sequence with other new Fisher Body roof components and roof trim part numbers that were first issued for 67 Camaros, so they did not even exist when 66’s were built!

6. Interesting that Flint apparently did not think seam sealer was necessary on the floor pan to toeboard seam, except up on the trans tunnel portion. Every other Chevelle plant sealed that seam from rocker to rocker

7. Does the car have a first design “5-hole” hood, or the second design “3-hole” hood? (Referring to the number of large holes underneath that got hood insulation.)

8. You mentioned the tail panel has been replaced. Have you checked the driver’s quarter closely? The crack below the quarter window and the flaking (that looks like bondo flaking) below the vinyl top trim looks just like a couple cars that I have owned that had NOS quarters put on way back in the day, where they cut the new quarter down to stay below the vinyl top and to stay out of the C-pillar structure. I would look and feel inside the quarter from inside the trunk to see if there is a weld seam or overlapped seam up in there.

9. On the left door, is that black along the bottom Zeibart that has run out of the pinch seam, or is it black primer like comes on NOS sheet metal? If you find that the quarter has been replaced, then if the door has black primer right underneath the red then I would think that the door got replaced at the same time,

10. The right door has definitely been replaced at some point because it is a 67 door. Note the little oval pre-punched hole in the inner structure in the jamb along the bottom body line at the back end of the door. That is for 67 Malibu lower trim. 66 doors don’t have that hole (but they do have one up in the middle of the door that corresponds with the location of 300-Deluxe side trim). You can also compare the size of the bulge around the lock knob hole. Early 66 doors barely have any bulge there. Late 66 (as in approx. June of 66) and all 67 doors have a large bulge there.

Again, extremely cool car, and congrats on the find!! Keep more pictures coming!
Radiator does have a “BK” on bottom tank.
The 3/4 heater hose has ribs as does the bypass hose.
I have the tach with housing. The tach is a Stewart Warner and I found a small box that tach wires hook to its small probably 1”x2”
The clip on firewall that holds ign. Wires does have a spot weld and it does have black paint over weld and it’s a little shinier than firewall.
It does have the 5 hole hood
You are correct on quarter panel. It has been replaced and installed as you stated. I got up in there today and saw the GM tag part number tag is still there. The tag is on the tail panel also.
The black on bottom seam area of drivers door is the ziebart that has run out.
Granted some things have been replaced but back in the day people did what they had to to keep these cars on the road. I am still amazed at the amount of factory installed items still on the car.
I’ll post more pictures shortly.
Old 10-21-2020, 12:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 60sStuff View Post
Hey Bruce,

I have a question on the RH bucket seat back in your ‘66.

When you fold the upper seat back forward is there a odd bumper with a spring steel catch device?

My ‘66 GTO Survivor has this item.
Some type of safety feature (won’t allow the seat back to fold forward when unoccupied in a panic stop) before the 67 seat back lock came out.

It seems not all the 66 GM cars have this.

LMK, thanks, Chris.
Yes mine has that clip on passenger bucket seat.
Attached Images

The Following User Says Thank You to Brucebodyman For This Useful Post:
60sStuff (10-21-2020)
Old 10-21-2020, 01:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 60sStuff View Post
Mr. Mysterychevelle,

I congratulate you in your dedication and the time spent researching the cars you love.

I consider myself the same, but in the “stacked headlight” 65-67 GTOs.

I’ve been buying, selling and researching these cars down to the correct Factory overspray for 43+ years now.

I’ve always dealt with the Survivors or once painted Unrestored cars such as Bruce’s 66 Chevelle in this thread.

If I were to be at a car show and saw Bruce’s patina barn find off in the distance, I would certainly walk right past all the bright shiny restored cars (dime-a-dozen) to enjoy how the Factory built it.

My enthusiasm on this “as found car” caused me to misspeak on some Chevelle facts. My Bad.

I need to stick with what I know best, so as not to be scolded in front of the class. Too old for that experience!

BTW, assuming the Chevelle automobile was built on the same time frame as other cars, I’ll stand by my statement of “Relatively Early” on Bruce’s car.

Build year - Aug, Sept, Oct = about 13 weeks
Rest of build year - Nov. - July = about 36 weeks.

Have a Safe Day, Chris.
We all learn as we go. I’ve learned a lot on this car and I’ve been around them 40 years. It’s awesome to be able to look at something that hasn’t been cut up and molested.
The Following User Says Thank You to Brucebodyman For This Useful Post:
KLars1 (10-21-2020)
Old 10-21-2020, 01:42 AM

Thanked 1,498 Times in 719 Posts

Even though I have no dog in the fight here (so to speak), I just love all the detail and 'archeological finds' going on in this thread

73 Camaro RS Z28, L82, M20, C60
The Following User Says Thank You to Bill Pritchard For This Useful Post:
427TJ (10-21-2020)