Go Back   The Supercar Registry > General Discussion > Supercar/Musclecar Discussion

Old 06-16-2023, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying Undertaker View Post
My ZL-1 Camaro was stolen along with four other ZL-1 Camaros from Merollis Chevrolet back in July 1969. My engine complete, the 4 speed M-21 trans. tires and wheels, The original bucket seats, Bent neck, BBC radiator, clutch Z-bar. My ZL-1 is the only surviving ZL-1 out of Five stolen. My cars original ZL-1 was used to run on Woodward or a flat bottom speed boat. The engine and trans. were never recovered, according to ZL-1 gurus. I have a CE block in it today, along with a CT trans.
Undertaker, that understandable and fully acceptable. BUT if you were a prospective buyer of a 1969 Camaro ZL1 today, and you look at these 3 options:

1. YOUR CAR with BORN-WITH ZL1 with full history and discloser since new. What should it's value be?

2. YOUR car, being sold as "number's matching" car?

3. YOUR car as you described above?

It's the refection in the price/value between the 3 opton? Quite obvious that #1 would by far be the most $$$$, follow by #2 then #3 respectfully. YOU were honest and upfront about the the parts stolen from your car before it even left the dealership. NOT ALL the sellers are this way and some do try to pass there cars as something it just isn't these days of high $$$ cars.
'78 Z28 32,000 survivor, Og Yellow paint, AC.
'69 CANADIAN Nova SS 396/350 hp
'67 CANADIAN Nova SS 427 10 sec. driver
'66 CANADIAN Nova SS Race Car
'61 CANADIAN Pontiac Bubble top 409+/4sp (SOLD)
'31 ALL STEEL Chevy P.U. GONE (EX-WIFES NOW)
Old 06-17-2023, 03:49 AM
Yenko Contributing Member

Here’s a curveball, what does a factory grind out do to the value of a car that still retains its born with engine? Broach marks end where the pad protrudes from the head and the factory gang stamp with the VIN is not on the pad but is instead by the oil boss…

It’s a discussion we have had on our Camaro with a few people with mixed feelings. Reason being is that the vin isn’t on the pad so the only thing that exists there is the build date and the suffix code for the trans. Grind out is also evident on the cylinder head as the wheel ate into the side of the head while it was being done. The date stamped back on the pad is 2 days prior to the NCRS shipping report said it left the factory. I’ve asked people about grind outs before and it seems to be a touchy subject for the same reasons as what is already being discussed here. When we took ownership of the car, we had assumed it been decked and someone stamped the date back on, however when we pulled the head off to see the broach marks, we started researching grind outs…

Last edited by Krateness; 06-17-2023 at 03:52 AM.
Old 06-17-2023, 01:46 PM
Yenko Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krateness View Post
Here’s a curveball, what does a factory grind out do to the value of a car that still retains its born with engine? Broach marks end where the pad protrudes from the head and the factory gang stamp with the VIN is not on the pad but is instead by the oil boss…

It’s a discussion we have had on our Camaro with a few people with mixed feelings. Reason being is that the vin isn’t on the pad so the only thing that exists there is the build date and the suffix code for the trans. Grind out is also evident on the cylinder head as the wheel ate into the side of the head while it was being done. The date stamped back on the pad is 2 days prior to the NCRS shipping report said it left the factory. I’ve asked people about grind outs before and it seems to be a touchy subject for the same reasons as what is already being discussed here. When we took ownership of the car, we had assumed it been decked and someone stamped the date back on, however when we pulled the head off to see the broach marks, we started researching grind outs…
Good question!

Tags
numbers matching, original motor, restamp