Go Back   The Supercar Registry > General Discussion > Supercar/Musclecar Discussion

Old 08-04-2018, 03:49 PM

Dip method has its draw backs like every process. When you dip you have to make sure the shop knows what they are doing as in rinse and re rinse! Then the car should go straight in to a paint both with heat lights for a day or two to dry out any remaining rinse residue.
Next step in the process will include sanding and chemical cleaning and etching.
Some guys like metal etch primer some like epoxy I have done both.
Soda blasting again has its draw backs as it leaves the metal in a neutral PH state.
A lot of the primers are acid based and will loose adhesion on a PH neutral substrate.
As soon as car is in the white/bare metal it starts rusting!!
Its not as simple as strip and prime the steps taken after striping are very important.
I like a shop that can strip and prime in house.
When you pick a shop look at the method they use to strip.
Is the media clean free of oil etc.
What is the air supply like, well maintained air supply with dryers and water and oil separator.
I have never used dustless blasting but it does look like it might work very well. I would like to see feed back and long term results from this method.
With any system its the entire process that leads to success, miss a step and poor results will follow!

I will be media blasting my car with a shop that has a in house striping booth and paint booth.
The reason I will be using this method is past success and that I'm comfortable with the method.
A lot of shops use a mix of garnet that they have fine tuned over the years that helps achieve a warp free strip.
The operator is also key as even with the best media to much heat can be put into the metal.

Last edited by Bernhard; 08-04-2018 at 04:10 PM.