Go Back   The Supercar Registry > General Discussion > Technical & Restoration

Old 12-04-2019, 12:43 PM

Default Front drum to disc conversion

I have a 66 Chevelle with drum brakes all around. I really should put front discs on the car as the drum brakes just don't do the job. I have considered two alternatives. Putting a OEM 67 style disc brake set up on the car or just buying an aftermarket conversion kit. I have most of the parts needed kicking around to do the OEM style 67 conversion. All of my OEM parts needs replating/rebuilding. If I go with OEM setup I am also thinking of ditching the 67 big disc brake calipers and using the smaller 69 style calipers so I don't have wheel clearance problems.

Or do I just go out and buy an aftermarket kit, if so, which one? And power boosted or not? I am tempted to just do the aftermarket kit but don't want to buy cheap Chinese junk. Any opinions would be appreciated. Thanks
Old 12-04-2019, 02:24 PM
Yenko Contributing Member

Thanked 1,110 Times in 632 Posts

I had looked at this one. It looks pretty simple and pretty good quality. https://www.wilwood.com/BrakeKits/Br...lle&option=All
Old 12-04-2019, 03:18 PM
Yenko Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillD View Post
I have a 66 Chevelle with drum brakes all around. I really should put front discs on the car as the drum brakes just don't do the job. I have considered two alternatives. Putting a OEM 67 style disc brake set up on the car or just buying an aftermarket conversion kit. I have most of the parts needed kicking around to do the OEM style 67 conversion. All of my OEM parts needs replating/rebuilding. If I go with OEM setup I am also thinking of ditching the 67 big disc brake calipers and using the smaller 69 style calipers so I don't have wheel clearance problems.

Or do I just go out and buy an aftermarket kit, if so, which one? And power boosted or not? I am tempted to just do the aftermarket kit but don't want to buy cheap Chinese junk. Any opinions would be appreciated. Thanks
I did a conversion on my 66 Chevelle. I bought all aftermarket which I didn't use. Then I bought original 67 4 piston calipers 2 1/8 inch bore and had them rebuilt. Then I used a restored original 66 booster with a NOS 67 master cylinder. In the rear I used 11 inch shoes with finned drums. I used 15x6 rallys up front and 15x8 rallys in the rear. It's stops on a dime. I'm very happy with the end results.
1970 Z28 Citrus green CW 3:73 1970 Ls6 Cy 3:31 14K miles 1968 Biscayne L72 M22 952 actual miles. 1966 Biscayne L72 3:73 1966 Chevelle L78 M22 4:56
Old 12-04-2019, 03:35 PM

In the old days when I did things on a budget or not at all I used Nova (I think a 74 model) spindles, rotors, etc for a 1968 Camaro swap. It had the common GM single piston caliper. Master cylinder and booster off the same car. Bolted on with no issues that I remember. Kept the drums in the back.

Of course, that stuff isn't common in the junkyards anymore.