Go Back   The Supercar Registry > General Discussion > Day 2 stuff-modified cars

Old 07-22-2020, 09:14 PM
SCR Sponsor

Thanked 3,139 Times in 914 Posts

Dana 60.........very day 2 like!
The Following User Says Thank You to napa68 For This Useful Post:
NorCam (07-23-2020)
Old 07-22-2020, 09:40 PM
Yenko Contributing Member

Thanked 1,120 Times in 639 Posts

The S60 is a nice rear end with some nice upgrades over the original Dana 60 rear end. It's also usually a little cheaper than some of the other options. Moser also makes an upgraded 60 rear end.
I changed gears in my 9 inch last week and found that the bearing cap bolts on the ring gear side had stretched and bent, and I'm using the best nodular case that Ford made. The bolts are 1/2 inch, compared to the 7/16 bolts in the 12 bolt. My axles also have some twist in them. I'm going to have to upgrade to 35 spline axles and an after market case with larger bolts and steel caps if I keep racing this thing. I'm making 563 HP.
Old 07-22-2020, 11:38 PM

Thanked 5,976 Times in 2,915 Posts

An aftermarket rear is never a bad idea but IMO you don’t need any of that at the power level you’re after. IIRC c clip eliminators are mandated only if you’re breaking into the 10s. Good luck with whatever you choose to do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCam View Post
Yes Tony,

Have already looked at C-clip axles and they won't cut it with tech now days. Car should make near to 500 horse and anyone who knows me knows I enjoy side stepping the clutch at 4K. This car will see the track on occasion and in order to meet tech it's going to need c-clip eliminators or a conversion to 9" ends as it will be running slicks. Either that or if I want to step it up, a complete housing upgrade. (I can already hear the cheers)

I have considered a Moser 9" or maybe run a heavier Dana 60 and might go that route if I need a carrier and/or a new gear set. I'll know more on that next week and that may just be the option I choose so go easy here guys. I do not want a broken axle or torn up quarter panel just for the sake of saving an original set of axle tubes in a car that will never see the light of being a numbers car ever again.

Old 07-22-2020, 11:42 PM

I've always been a fan of keeping true to the manufacturer where possible and with the technology today there are a few nice 12 bolt housing/C clip eliminator set ups on the market.
Old 07-23-2020, 12:54 AM

Thanked 3,399 Times in 1,242 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by napa68 View Post
Dana 60.........very day 2 like!
Had a Dana 60 in this 69 I built up in the early 90's. With sure grip mono leaf springs, it was totally awesome! It saw 7200 rpm on a very regular basis and was my daily driver in the summer.

markinnaples (07-23-2020), MosportGreen66 (08-07-2020), PeteLeathersac (07-23-2020)
Old 07-23-2020, 01:50 AM

Thanked 1,120 Times in 639 Posts

If you wanted to stay with a 12 bolt the Moser 12 bolt has very thick bearing caps with 1/2 inch bolts and 1/4 inch thick seamless axle tubes with 9 inch Ford housing ends that have the Chevy brake bolt pattern. It's much stronger than the Chevy 12 bolt.
The Following User Says Thank You to big gear head For This Useful Post:
NorCam (07-23-2020)
Old 07-23-2020, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCam View Post
Yup...original 12 bolt rear dated BU 0224. When I first looked at the cover I thought cool, it has the ET style cover but it kinda looks deep from the top down view. Are they all this way with that sort of overall depth? Tearing into to this week with a full restoration planned for it including fresh powder coating. Also adding C-Clip eliminators and performance axle upgrades.

That’s a Cal Custom diff cover FWIW, circa 1972 up.

A moser housing with .250 wall DOM tubes, heavy caps & billet axles are $1300 , far better than the GM production seamed axle tubes and cast caps, which are the weak link.

With complete original 12 bolts bringing $3500 + , maybe a option Graeme?

Last edited by rszmjt; 07-23-2020 at 02:17 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to rszmjt For This Useful Post:
NorCam (07-23-2020)
Old 07-23-2020, 02:31 PM

Probably not a bad idea Mike. Was going to rebuild it and beef it up, but building a new Moser diff is so much more in line with what this car actually needs. Planning on a 9K screamer for it in the future so I might as well build the diff I am going to need down the road.

I'll figure out what to do with this one later and might offer it up locally.
Old 07-25-2020, 01:12 AM

Still working away with things and had a better look at all of the original interior upholstery today to see what can be saved. We are confident that the rear covers can be saved and we pulled them off the frames today so I can start deep cleaning the vinyl. Once scrubbed down, they will head off to the dry cleaners to see how the fabric cleans up. From there, my upholsterer will sew new piping onto the patterns to bring them around.

The rear covers are filthy, but they really look like they will clean up.

Once the vinyl is clean, the covers will go to the dry cleaners.

The frames will be stripped down and soaked in evapo-rust to restore them before rebuilding them.

We can probably save the front vinyl too...but the drivers seat will require a couple of custom made repair panels and likely a little dye work to make it all match up once the covers are deep cleaned. I am in need of houndstooth fabric for the centers and need to flip some stones to see if I can find a set of original rear covers to graft some original cloth from (anyone know of a set or original rear seat covers???). The rear patterns should fit the bucket inserts so I am really hoping someone has kept an old set of rear covers that I can purchase?

If that fails then new fabric will be used for the centers and the vinyl will then be rebuilt as mentioned above. Also found a couple used seat backs that will dye up nicely to match the yellow vinyl after its all cleaned and restored.

If I can find another set of rear covers, the material can graft into these buckets???

These frames will also be cleaned up once the covers are off to be worked on! Someone has already done some clean up on the slides. I'll make them better!

Found these rear seat backs in the upholsterers pile of spare parts. These will dye rather nicely and should be easily matched up.

Once all the tedious work is done, these will head over to Chad at Fibrenew. He's a vinyl repair master craftsman who can patch and dye just about anything.

Last edited by NorCam; 07-25-2020 at 01:15 AM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to NorCam For This Useful Post:
Damien (07-25-2020), X66 714 (07-25-2020)
Old 07-25-2020, 01:24 AM

In other good news, it looks like we can save the original door panels and the head rests as well. A previous owner dyed some of the ABS stuff with SEMS black and I already started testing a few spots to see if I can remove the black, and I can. The yellow color underneath is the right shade of yellow and for whatever it takes...I will spend the time needed to bring them back. They will also head over to Chad at Fibrenew for a few vinyl repairs and some new carpet along the bottoms once they are cleaned up.

The rears can also be saved but we may try some new vinyl on the back panels and again dye it up to match at the same time as doing the seat backs. The head rests are actually in really good shape and trust they will also clean up once the black dye is removed. I'll then get a couple new sets of white hinge covers and some new finger cups for the doors which will also be dyed yellow. I'm thinking the interior is going to look right at home when this Air Force Brat is brought full circle.

I'll add pics of the door panels a little later this evening and will post some progress pictures as they are being cleaned. Won't be easy...but it'll be done right!

Door panels before they are steamed and deep cleaned

A little test spot to see how the black dye can be removed

Original rears that will receive new vinyl and some dye work to match

Original head rests which are in really good shape overall

Both sides are dated and these should clean up nicely (fingers crossed)

Last edited by NorCam; 07-29-2020 at 12:30 PM.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to NorCam For This Useful Post:
Arrowsmith (07-25-2020), big gear head (07-25-2020), PeteLeathersac (07-25-2020)