Go Back   The Supercar Registry > General Discussion > Lounge

Old 06-25-2014, 09:48 PM

Default Re: State Police checks

I fail to see how or why you "would have been grossly over weight" only if your car was for sale.
I would be calling Carlisle, as suggested, as well as that department and asking questions.
First issue is that he DID NOT have Probable Cause to stop you.
Second, that he did not ID you or ask for insurance.
Third, if he did not ID himself to you first words out of his mouth,
he needs to be working security at a mall somewhere!

71 Rally Nova sbc
72 SS Pro Street Nova bbc
69 SS Nova bbc

Old 06-25-2014, 10:02 PM

I live an hour and a half from there and attended the show. My truck is registered by weight, half ton. My trailer is registered by gross weight at 7,700 and I pay registration and have to have my trailer inspected yearly. I read on Facebook that a beautiful 55 Chevy was stolen at a hotel in Newport PA, just up the road from Carlisle. I know a lot about certain PA state laws concerning my older cars that the police do not always get right. I hear about mileage restrictions and not being able to drive after dark all the time, which are just not true. I have my PA vehicle inspection license and what we can let go on inspection is not legal and is policed by the cops. It is confusing and sucks knowing you are a target just because.
Old 06-25-2014, 11:58 PM
Yenko Contributing Member

My advise is to check the laws of the state(s) you will be traveling in! And try to travel the first part of the month -- that way the LEOs may not be worried about the quota yet. LOL

Ooops -- probably offended someone again ... (I was in law enforcement for over 17 years)
Old 06-26-2014, 02:16 PM

Thanked 1,846 Times in 751 Posts

Thank you, Ken.
Old 06-27-2014, 05:39 PM

The exception most usually appropriate for our private trucks and trailers is 49 CFR 390.3(f)(3) which states that the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Regulations do not apply for "The occasional transportation of personal property by individuals not for compensation nor in the furtherance of a commercial enterprise."

This has been interpreted by the FMCSA under the guidance section of their website. It states:

Question: Does the exemption in §390.3(f)(3) for the "occasional transportation of personal property by individuals not for compensation nor in the furtherance of a commercial enterprise" apply to persons who occasionally use CMVs to transport cars, boats, horses, etc., to races, tournaments, shows or similar events, even if prize money is offered at these events?

Guidance: The exemption would apply to this kind of transportation, provided: (1) The underlying activities are not undertaken for profit, i.e., (a) prize money is declared as ordinary income for tax purposes, and (b) the cost of the underlying activities is not deducted as a business expense for tax purposes; and, where relevant; (2) corporate sponsorship is not involved. Drivers must confer with their State of licensure to determine the licensing provisions to which they are subject.

Seems as though so long as you comply with the above guidance you should be okay.
Old 06-30-2014, 01:07 AM

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Alss</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> what could I have been doing? He came up to the pass window and asked &quot;where you coming from&quot;..car show...&quot; whats in the trailer&quot; Chevelle...&quot;.you trying to sell that car?&quot; no..just showing. &quot;you sure?&quot;...yes sir..blah blah blah.. &quot; OK then cause if you were, you would be in violation of interstate commerce law and your truck and trailer would be grossly overweight&quot;.. really? &quot;yes...where you going now?&quot;...home, back to NJ..&quot;All right..you can go&quot;

that was it..no license..no reg...no ins cards were ever asked for..weird! Careful how you answer questions guys.
</div></div>

Strange. I don't get the &quot;grossly overweight&quot; issue unless he was referring to your plate on the truck. If your running a standard issue plate it may not cover the weight of your truck and trailer. Other than that The weight shouldn't come into question at all unless your over 26,001 LBS and then you would need at least a class B CDL. he wasn't interested in your Driver License though.... weird.

Tommy
Old 10-23-2014, 03:30 AM

Ohh the intricacies of the law... I wish more people understood it and stood their ground against these intrusions. If everyone forced jury trials we could end this non sense. Clog up the courts for 15 years... LOL
NCRS#65120
68 GTO HO 4 spd Alpine Blue /Parchment 2 owner car
#21783 71 Corvette LT1 45k miles Orig paint - Brandshatch Green - National Top Flight - last known 71 LT1 built.
71 Corvette LT1 42k miles Original paint - Black - black leather - only black LT1 known to exist.
NUMEROUS Lemans blue Camaros,
Monza Red and Daytona Yellow Corvettes
& a Chevelle or two...
Survivors, restored cars, &amp; other photos
https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/myphotos