Go Back   The Supercar Registry > General Discussion > Technical & Restoration

Old 08-30-2023, 10:59 PM
Yenko Contributing Member

Thanked 2,555 Times in 1,174 Posts
Default Car Wax / Ceramic coating

Asking in reference to a newer car, the 2019 Ioniq we bought in March 2020.
Story here: https://www.yenko.net/forum/showthre...ighlight=ioniq

Started to add to that thread, but this really applies to lots of cars, so thought I would ask here.

One of my few gripes about this car is how hard it is to keep clean. A couple years ago, I had a local guy do a professional ceramic coating on my Mercedes. It needed a good buffing anyway. Afterwards, that was the easiest to clean car I ever had. Dirt barely stuck, and it took no effort at the car wash to get it clean.

Sherri's Hyundai, on the other hand was like a dirt magnet. So, had the same guy use the same product on her car. It did make it a little bit better, but nothing like the MB.

Last night I took my 40 year old 745i to the car wash. Paint is 20 years old (Dupont Chroma Premier). Still cleans up without a lot of effort. Brought the Bimmer home and took Sherri's car to the same car wash. Took twice as long, and still had to use a bug remover on the front bumper cover when I got home.

Is there ANY product out there that I can use on this car that lasts at least a year, AND will repel dirt better than the ceramic coating that everyone is touting?
cruiserofland (08-30-2023)
Attachments - The Supercar Registry 20230831_212839.jpg 20230831_212807.jpg
O Garage vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.
Click here to view all the pictures posted in this thread...
Old 08-30-2023, 11:36 PM

Hi Lynn
I had a detail shop sell me Jescar power lock plus. They did ceramic coatings and said they liked it for the person wanting to do it himself. It goes on and off nice and seemed to last. I had it on a shadow grey Tahoe and it looked just waxed after I would wash it. Had a nice shine to it. It is a polymer sealant
Old 08-31-2023, 04:56 AM

It could be the quality of the paint, no sure how rough a Hyundai paint job is compared to BMW or MB.
I had my 2021 Suburban ceramic coated and 18 months later it shines beautifully. Just had the booster application done. My 2019 Bullitt Mustang was done in Ceramic Coat in 2020 and just had the booster done. Great results.
68 Camaro Z28,Corvette Bronze,Houndstooth
www.vancouverclassiccars.com
Old 08-31-2023, 11:54 AM

Thanked 4,492 Times in 1,247 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canuck View Post
It could be the quality of the paint, no sure how rough a Hyundai paint job is compared to BMW or MB.
This was my thought as well.

Within Nissan alone we have at least 6 different vehicle clear coats (different suppliers) of differing degrees of "slickness".

I only know this because I have to validate that my adhesive films can stick to all of those different compositions.

K
'74 Chevelle - original owner, 9.85 @ 136 mph best
The Following User Says Thank You to Keith Seymore For This Useful Post:
Canuck (09-01-2023)
Old 08-31-2023, 03:32 PM

I use "don't laugh before you look it up on and see the reviews" Turtle Wax Ice Seal And Shine. That stuff goes on every car and boat that I own. I sold a CTSV to a friend, a week later he called asking what I used on that car to make it so easy to clean. It is cheep and can be found everywhere.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to oldstv For This Useful Post:
juliosz (08-31-2023), Keith Seymore (08-31-2023)
Old 08-31-2023, 11:41 PM

I had my 2019 Shelby GT-S paint corrected, wrapped with paint protection film (PPF) and finished with 2 coats of bake on ceramic coating. Cost a bundle, but I clean it with Chemical Guys' Quick Detailer and a microfiber cloth. Takes 5 minutes to do the entire car. I sprung for the PPF because I drive it, and want to protect from road chips. The PPF is some sort of urethane, and is tough as nails. Claims to be self healing, but I don't get that, since it has ceramic coating on top of the PPF.
I actually wash it about every 6-8 weeks, and the wash mitten glides over the surface. The 10" wide wheels are a royal PITA to clean, and accounts for 3/4 of the time to wash and dry the car. i clean and protect the convertible top twice a year.
The Following User Says Thank You to Unreal For This Useful Post:
Canuck (09-01-2023)
Old 09-01-2023, 01:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unreal View Post
I had my 2019 Shelby GT-S paint corrected, wrapped with paint protection film (PPF) and finished with 2 coats of bake on ceramic coating. Cost a bundle, but I clean it with Chemical Guys' Quick Detailer and a microfiber cloth. Takes 5 minutes to do the entire car. I sprung for the PPF because I drive it, and want to protect from road chips. The PPF is some sort of urethane, and is tough as nails. Claims to be self healing, but I don't get that, since it has ceramic coating on top of the PPF.
I actually wash it about every 6-8 weeks, and the wash mitten glides over the surface. The 10" wide wheels are a royal PITA to clean, and accounts for 3/4 of the time to wash and dry the car. i clean and protect the convertible top twice a year.
Bought some Chemical Guys' Quick Detailer tonight and it works.My Camino was painted in 2005 and I'm happy with the results.
Attached Images

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BJCHEV396 For This Useful Post:
Arrowsmith (09-01-2023), parkbrau (09-01-2023)
Old 09-01-2023, 06:51 PM

I have used Adam's graphene ceramic spray after a wash and clay for the previous two cleanings on my '19 GMC Sierra Denali HD. The most impactful change I've seen is the reduced build up of road grime on the truck's trouble areas - lower doors, lower quarters, and lower fenders. Often times, especially during paving season, I'd see an excess of tar, imbedded dirt, and other impediments in these spots. The effort needed to decon these area during clay treatments was significant. Yes the paint repels water and it looks cool, but the real benefit IMO, is the reduced risk of scratching the paint during decon which in turn should prolong the need for short term paint corrections. I haven't coated the chrome wheels on the truck yet, but I plan to do this before the brine and salt hits the roads this winter.

Dan
Old 09-01-2023, 07:05 PM

Thanked 5,357 Times in 1,880 Posts

Adam Pitale's Detail line work really well. Colin Comer introduced me to him and his products...
Old 09-01-2023, 09:55 PM

Thanked 2,555 Times in 1,174 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unreal View Post
I think Canuck is on to something when he says: "It could be the quality of the paint, no sure how rough a Hyundai paint job is compared to BMW or MB." After all, it is a Hyundai. Their quality has improved exponentially since the 90s, but still...

I am afraid to ask about the cost of PPF installation. I am certain that is the best course of action IF money were no object. After rebates and dealer discount (we bought it pre pandemic panic (PPP) so we only paid $17k for the car. I plan to drive it AT LEAST until the hybrid battery expires (normally 10 - 12 years) as it is the LAST YEAR Hyundai warrants the hybrid battery for the life of the car to the original purchaser. So, maybe PPF is worth it in the long run, given what a pain it is to keep clean. But, I don't want to double my investment in the vehicle. I can just see it getting totaled and then arguing with the insurance company over the true value. It's one thing to be upside down in a classic, quite another in a daily driver Hyundai.

So, about how expensive was that on your Shelby? And did you have it applied around edges, or does each piece terminate about 1/8 inch from the edge? Any issues with lifting?

Last edited by Lynn; 09-02-2023 at 02:00 AM.