Go Back   The Supercar Registry > General Discussion > Member's Rides

Old 10-03-2015, 01:14 AM
Yenko Contributing Member

Default Go to auction or sell myself? 1966 El Camino 396

Hey you experienced auction sellers ,

This is a genuine inquiry – not just a WIW kind of chat. I’d like some feedback from those who have more experience selling similar vehicles at the various popular car auctions.

I’m finally getting close to finishing the body off resto on my ’66 396 El Camino and have decided to sell it in the near future. Maybe Scottsdale in January? While I have purchased many cars at auctions, I have only sold one and wasn’t really thrilled about the experience. Sold my AAR Cuda at Russo and Steele in Monterey a while back. No reserve auction made me nervous, but got reasonable money for the car so I have no complaints about that. My issue was the time they spent working the floor for bids – which seemed about 32 seconds. Not sure if the auctioneer even took a second breath. It got three rapid bids and then the hammer came down. Could it have gone higher if they gave it a little more effort, I will never know…. This was right after they spent about ten minutes working the bids to death on some sort of cheap golf cart. Maybe that put them behind schedule and they needed to make up time? Even strangers came up to me after it sold and asked me why it went through so fast. Oh well…

Back to my original inquiry. The reason I am asking about this particular vehicle is because it’s one of those that could “possibly” bring more money at auction – if the timing and luck is right. But I guess that theory really applies to all auction vehicles, which is why auctions exist. It’s an El Camino, which doesn’t bring the dollars that a similar condition Chevelle would, regardless of how much time and money is invested. But it’s a lovely car with some nice options and an unusual color combo (Artesian Turquoise with two tone fawn interior) that might appeal to guys and gals alike. Who knows - classic tow vehicle, grocery getter, parts hauler, cheap hot rod for the kid? They usually are more affordable, so they can seem like a real bargain when surrounded by higher dollar more popular vehicles.

So for those who have gone through the efforts of selling something like this at auction, do you truly feel it’s worth it for cars that are a little unique but not high dollar? Being a lower value car, it wouldn’t be going through at some prime time happy hour, so probably no tipsy bidders throwing silly money my direction.

FYI – a few tidbits about the car so you can have an idea of its marketability: I purchased it locally from the second owner back in 1991 with only 66k miles on it so it has a good known Ca history and black plates. Talked to the original owner recently who might have some pictures from when it was new. He’s now in his seventies and it will be 50 years this Christmas since he bought it. It was bone stock when I found it but was used as an in-town pickup truck so it had its share of wear and tear. It got driven a little more (to 74k) before it was taken apart – long before anyone cared about “survivors”. Now restored to stock condition using most of the original parts, except I upgraded the trans from a Powerglide to T400 (used OEM ’67 column shift linkage and kickdown assy, since T400 wasn’t an option in ’66). Not a flawless show car, but it’s definitely a better than average driver….

So if you don’t mind, take a peek at the my quickie current status pics I just took and let me know if you think this has enough pizazz to make it worth the time and effort (and money) of the auction house adventure. West Coast auction venue recommendations would also be appreciated.

<span style="font-weight: bold">Thanks for your opinions! </span>

Old 10-03-2015, 01:18 AM

Thanked 5,349 Times in 1,876 Posts
Default Re: Go to auction or sell myself? 1966 El Camino 396

Wow!

Looks very nice. If you go the Russo and Steele route, you can always put a reserve on it?

You could also bring it out this way a few weeks before and &quot;market it&quot; at the Pavilions show...at the price you'd be happy with...

Just throwing out there.
Old 10-03-2015, 01:29 AM

Very Nice work, haven't brought any cars to auction, but it would seem with a reserve it would be a safe bet. GLWS
Old 10-03-2015, 01:31 AM

Hey Bruce,

Can you tell me a little more about the Pavilions show? I've heard of it but have never been there.

Post info or PM me, your choice.

Thanks!
Old 10-03-2015, 12:32 PM

Thanked 5,349 Times in 1,876 Posts

PM Sent!
Old 10-03-2015, 01:55 PM

That is one fine piece of El Camino machinery right there...
Old 11-09-2015, 09:37 PM

Decided the auction route wasn't the way to go for me and this car, so I'm going to offer it for sale outright.

Check out the For Sale section for my listing on this lovely little classic...

Charlie
Old 11-09-2015, 09:53 PM

Thanked 1,610 Times in 495 Posts

The 64-66 Elco's are my favorites...just something about them. [img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/biggthumpup.gif[/img]

Great car...good luck with the sale.

wilma
02 Berger 380hp #95
Lots of L78 Novas
Join National Nostalgic Nova!
70 Orange Cooler
69 Camaro