Go Back   The Supercar Registry > General Discussion > Supercar/Musclecar Discussion

Old 01-21-2020, 01:20 PM

Default Need Opinion on Pontiac Formula Survivor

Hey Everyone,
Need a thought on this if you don't mind.
Pursuing this car and speaking to the dealer this week.
https://www.southcarmotorsports.com/...irebird/c2505/
The claim is very low mileage (under 8k) survivor with a very detailed description by the seller. It appears to be as claimed however I am having trouble with the undercarriage pics though would be addressable. Dealer claims to know the car for years and the story seems reasonable.
Hagerty has it higher than what he will take for the car but the car appears to have been stored in some environment that caused front and rear end components to get rustier than I would expect.
Looking for opinions on originality and value.
Also, what does one expect in terms of cost for an "undercarriage restoration? Would you tackle on your own and how would you go about it?
I really appreciate any inputs, there are some good undercarriage pics in the ad.
The car was rustproofed so floors look good, mostly suspension that looks like it would need a freshen up.
Thank you !
Attachments - The Supercar Registry Z28-350.jpg IMG_6526 1.jpg IMG_6525 b.jpg IMG_6525 1.jpg
O Garage vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.
Click here to view all the pictures posted in this thread...
Old 01-21-2020, 01:36 PM
Yenko Contributing Member

That car looks brand new (headliner & suspension rust aside). I'd try an evap-o-rust bath first. or dismatle the front and rear suspension and bathe it separately and re-assemble. Nice find.
Old 01-21-2020, 01:39 PM

I'm probably the least quailfied person on here, but it looks pretty good to me. There are a few threads on here on how to get that undercarriage looking good, might be a fun car to take to the next level. What else can you buy for 20K these days that is as cool as that?
Old 01-21-2020, 01:41 PM

Default thanks

Tracker1, thanks for taking a look and replying. I had not heard of that product but looks to be pretty effective. The headliner doesn't bother me, to be honest would be concerned if it was perfect I guess. I have to think that it is priced right, don't see if going down at all and the dealer can flex a bit
Old 01-21-2020, 01:49 PM

Default thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Late BrakeU2 View Post
I'm probably the least quailfied person on here, but it looks pretty good to me. There are a few threads on here on how to get that undercarriage looking good, might be a fun car to take to the next level. What else can you buy for 20K these days that is as cool as that?
Thanks LateBrake, that was my thought. I started out wanting a TA but they are too much money now and this caught my eye, very understated appearance, love the factory dog dish and the paperwork on the car, third pedal, all the right stuff.
Old 01-21-2020, 02:26 PM

Default Inspection

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tracker1 View Post
That car looks brand new (headliner & suspension rust aside). I'd try an evap-o-rust bath first. or dismatle the front and rear suspension and bathe it separately and re-assemble. Nice find.
Tracker1, what are your thoughts on independent inspection of the car? I am in the Boston area and ideally like a second set of eyes before hitting the bank? Anyone you or anyone can recommend?
Old 01-21-2020, 02:35 PM

If there is a paper trail that supports mileage, I think this is actually a good deal. I think there's some upside to this car down the road, too.

The undercarriage photos were taken with a flash, which always makes rust & scale look worse. I think you'll be pleasantly surprised by this car in person.

I like the Evapo-Rust idea, but part of me says to leave it alone. Maybe a coat of WD40 or Boeshield to darken up the scale a bit more? With survivors, I'm in the camp saying excessive fluffing is frowned upon. Once you start taking suspension pieces off, you may not know where to stop. And, once factory fasteners are broken loose, it's one more piece of a very low mileage car that's been altered. Again, just another guy's opinion...

Jeff
The Following User Says Thank You to Tidmack For This Useful Post:
69LM1 (01-22-2020)
Old 01-21-2020, 06:28 PM

Default thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tidmack View Post
If there is a paper trail that supports mileage, I think this is actually a good deal. I think there's some upside to this car down the road, too.

The undercarriage photos were taken with a flash, which always makes rust & scale look worse. I think you'll be pleasantly surprised by this car in person.

I like the Evapo-Rust idea, but part of me says to leave it alone. Maybe a coat of WD40 or Boeshield to darken up the scale a bit more? With survivors, I'm in the camp saying excessive fluffing is frowned upon. Once you start taking suspension pieces off, you may not know where to stop. And, once factory fasteners are broken loose, it's one more piece of a very low mileage car that's been altered. Again, just another guy's opinion...

Jeff
Jeff
after thinking about this I have to agree. I talked to the dealer and he is no slouch. Has some six figure builds he has done and puts some big dollar cars through Mecum and BJ. Says he has this car because he always wanted it, grew up in PA and knew the car so when it came up he got a call on it. He said the same thing about the undercarriage, it is part of the story and he really did not want to fluff it and take that part of the story away. Appreciate the opinion, right on the money.
The Following User Says Thank You to daleone3 For This Useful Post:
Tidmack (01-21-2020)
Old 01-21-2020, 06:39 PM

I can't thank you enough for getting back in touch with your kind words. Preservation is my business and I have a funny feeling you're going to be pretty happy with this car. I can't offer any input on the dealer or their reputation, but I like the way they present cars. Here's the way I look at a car like this: after shipping, tax, and insurance, if you decide to part ways with the car after a season or two, I truly believe you'll end up in the black on this one. Good luck and please keep in touch if you make the deal!

Jeff

Quote:
Originally Posted by daleone3 View Post
Jeff
after thinking about this I have to agree. I talked to the dealer and he is no slouch. Has some six figure builds he has done and puts some big dollar cars through Mecum and BJ. Says he has this car because he always wanted it, grew up in PA and knew the car so when it came up he got a call on it. He said the same thing about the undercarriage, it is part of the story and he really did not want to fluff it and take that part of the story away. Appreciate the opinion, right on the money.
Old 01-21-2020, 06:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tidmack View Post
I can't thank you enough for getting back in touch with your kind words. Preservation is my business and I have a funny feeling you're going to be pretty happy with this car. I can't offer any input on the dealer or their reputation, but I like the way they present cars. Here's the way I look at a car like this: after shipping, tax, and insurance, if you decide to part ways with the car after a season or two, I truly believe you'll end up in the black on this one. Good luck and please keep in touch if you make the deal!

Jeff
Will do Jeff. He sent me a couple of walk around vids and one driving and to be honest, nothing to pick apart. Paint is not checked, still has good shine and probably a blast to drive. Will let everyone know how it goes and really appreciate the conversation.
The Following User Says Thank You to daleone3 For This Useful Post:
Tidmack (01-21-2020)