Go Back   The Supercar Registry > General Discussion > Pit Area - Racing

Old 02-12-2014, 02:19 PM
Yenko Contributing Member

Thanked 1,711 Times in 732 Posts
Default Re: Erica Enders

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sYc</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Any hobby, racing, fishing, golf, hunting, etc can get expensive, if you allow it to consume you. Even the &quot;pure stock&quot; guys.

Though purists do not care for bracket racing, it can be relative inexpensive, as for the most part, bracket racing is more about being consistent then going faster. Just as in the old days, you can drive the family sedan to the track and take home some $$$ and/or a trophy, if you are a good enough driver. I see it all of the time.

</div></div>

How true Tom. Some of my best memories (some including Red Alert when Bill S. owned it) are of when we would head up to Union Grove after working all day on a Wednesday night(about 75 miles each way), raced brackets and/or grudge for fun and then drove the same cars back home and then to work the next day. Most of us had daily driver type muscle cars that were in the 13 second to 15 second range. Don't think anyone ever broke anything bad enough to not make the trip home (lucky) and we always had a blast and even won a few trophies - for the cost of the gas up and back plus the entry fee. Low budget entry level grass roots racing at its finest.

Jake

Dykstra Motorsports
Old 02-12-2014, 02:22 PM

I see the NHRA widdling away. I took a break from it over the last few years as family and business got in the way of it. Went to 2 decent tracks last summer for the weekend like we did 25+ years like at Brainard. It is now a ghost town. I have to admire the Greek...he is still kicking running a small operation compared to the Force Compound. Don't know if I'm just seeing it now, but back in the 70's, 80's and early 90's, it was about who was who had the best tune and secret combo that made them the best and the little things like the monster John Force burnouts cause it was for the people in the stands. Between that, public relations, TNN having the show on tv, that's what made it and made heros out of drivers and teams. Now its about money and business. I noticed it started to slide downhill after Steve Evans passed.
Old 02-12-2014, 03:03 PM

As with most sports today, the success or failure of NHRA will depend on TV ratings, which translates into revenue. Problem I see, some sports have about the same appeal, whether on TV or at the event. Not so with Drag racing, especially the fuel cars.
Old 02-12-2014, 03:09 PM

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sYc</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Any hobby, racing, fishing, golf, hunting, etc can get expensive, if you allow it to consume you. Even the &quot;pure stock&quot; guys.

Though purists do not care for bracket racing, it can be relative inexpensive, as for the most part, bracket racing is more about being consistent then going faster. Just as in the old days, you can drive the family sedan to the track and take home some $$$ and/or a trophy, if you are a good enough driver. I see it all of the time.

</div></div>

Well said, we are learning this via Jr Dragsters - and still spend a lot more than we need to just to be able to run right on the 'index' regardless of track conditions, elevation and weather. But, if we wanted to, we could do it cheaper by simply being slower and a little less consistent - and still have a ton of fun!

I would love to see the Stock and Super Stock cars on TV by replacing the qualifying runs from TF dragsters and funny cars..... anyone else prefer this approach?
67 RS Camaro-327/250hp, 2speed Glide, &amp; 3.08 Open (Danny's Ride)
Old 02-12-2014, 04:04 PM

Marlin - Absolutely on Stock and Super Stock over fuel qualifying. Oftentimes they have a hard time just getting the car to make a good pass , because they're trying so hard to make the show.

Blair
Old 02-12-2014, 04:48 PM

Exactly! I'd much rather wait a day and watch Stock &amp; Super Stock elim rounds over Fuel qualifying. I think the only way to make it happen would be to have the Big 3 auto makers involved for advertising during those rounds - how appropriate would it be to break away to a commercial on the new Camaro SS or Z06 Vette after watching the COPO Camaros run??
67 RS Camaro-327/250hp, 2speed Glide, &amp; 3.08 Open (Danny's Ride)
Old 02-12-2014, 06:01 PM

&quot;I would love to see the Stock and Super Stock cars on TV by replacing the qualifying runs from TF dragsters and funny cars..... anyone else prefer this approach?&quot;

[img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/biggthumpup.gif[/img]
Old 02-12-2014, 06:24 PM

When the Top Fuel cars and Funny Cars run is when I head to the concession stand and the out house. I go back to the stands for the Stock and Super Stocks, not the other way around.

This isn't rocket surgery.....
Old 02-12-2014, 06:27 PM

It would be so much more interesting if done that way.

I used to be so upset when they would spend so much air time
interviewing TF/FC guys while trying to show the PS motorcycles
during their runs, hell they would even abbreviate the quals for the MC'S. [img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/mad.gif[/img]

Why I quit racing MC'S and went to door slammers...
&amp; quit watching it on TV [img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/mad.gif[/img]

Dicky [img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/flag.gif[/img]

Old 02-15-2014, 03:45 AM

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Xplantdad</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Looks like maybe she pushed a button on the right hand side.... </div></div>

Pneumatic. If that fails, manual.
98 Surburban