Go Back   The Supercar Registry > General Discussion > Day 2 stuff-modified cars

Old 09-24-2018, 10:52 PM
Yenko Contributing Member

Thanked 2,156 Times in 552 Posts
Default Pro Trac front skinnies question

Hope this is the right forum for this question, and hope it's not a dumb question....bought some Protrac 55515 front skinnies for my 4.5" wide Ansen slots. My question is related to the tire itself. I didn't notice it until they were mounted but 1 sidewall has a different profile than the other. One side has about a 1/8" raised section on the sidewall with the other side being more typical. I checked the Coker site and one of their pictures show that offset so I assume it's correct. The top pic shows the sidewall with the offset, the bottom pic shows the other side. My question is, should that be on the inside or outside of the wheel?
Attached Images

Attachments - The Supercar Registry IMG_2969.JPG IMG_2968.JPG
O Garage vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.
Click here to view all the pictures posted in this thread...
Old 09-24-2018, 11:29 PM

I think it is personal preference and you can mount them either way. I prefer it with the wider bead inward... I almost bought these same tires, but I didn't like the fact that they were not tall enough to fill in my wheel well.

Rich
Old 09-25-2018, 12:28 PM

Thanked 1,120 Times in 639 Posts

I've got those on my Camaro. I was told that the wide area was for white walls. I put that to the inside, but if you look from the front you can still see it under the car. I also don't like how short they are and I'm looking for something a little taller.
Old 09-25-2018, 08:13 PM

Thanked 3,399 Times in 1,242 Posts

The thicker edge is "unfinished" and those are made so that they can mill anything into the finish such as red lines, white walls, raised letters etc. All of them come that way and best put them to the inside as they look really odd with that big step. Repro Firestones are the same as well
Old 09-25-2018, 11:56 PM

Thanked 2,156 Times in 552 Posts

Thanks everyone for the replies. I had the step mounted to the inside of the wheel. I have to figure out what lug nuts I need so I can get them on the car and see how the tire height looks - hope it's not too short

OK....curiosity was killing me so I ran out to the garage to hold the wheel/tire combo against my 15" Cragars with 165 series tires and the Protracs are about 1" taller - whew! I was happy with what was on there so I should be in good shape - at least in my eyes! On to the lug nut search!

Last edited by R68GTO; 09-26-2018 at 12:07 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to R68GTO For This Useful Post:
markinnaples (09-26-2018)