Go Back   The Supercar Registry > Dealer Specific Discussion > Fred Gibb Chevrolet

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-12-2006, 04:46 AM

Default Fred Gibb trademark

A while back it was reported on this site that Valerie Harrell had applied to the U.S. Trademark office for all rights to the Fred Gibb logo/name. If approved, it could have far reaching effects. Helen Gibb, the sYc, the City of LaHarpe or anyone else wanting to use the mark would need permission from Valerie to do so, maybe even requiring a fee. Helen, myself and a few other members of the sYc discussed this at Vettefest and decided that something needed to be done to prevent this from happening.
Thus, Helen Gibb and the sYc (at Helen’s request) have officially filed a protest with the U.S. Trademark office in an effort to see that Helen is given complete control over how the Gibb mark is used. We felt this was the right thing to do, as Helen has been such a goodwill ambassador for not only her late husband’s name and legacy, but for our hobby. Anyone who has been to the Fred Gibb Memorial car show in LaHarpe, or this past year York US30 or Vettefest, I am sure will attest to this fact.
The sYc is officially involved, in both name and financial support, and we have pledged our support to Helen until a final decision and/or settlement is reached. With no strings attached. Anyone who feels that this is a worthy cause and would like to help in Helen’s efforts to retain the Gibb mark are urged to contact me for details.