Go Back   The Supercar Registry > General Discussion > Supercar/Musclecar Discussion

Old 12-08-2019, 02:51 AM
Yenko Contributing Member

Thanked 3,812 Times in 993 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arrowsmith View Post

And as a side note, I'm sitting on a boxes upon boxes of Hot Rod and Car Craft. Most from the early sixties to the late eighties and I really don't know what to do with them (sell them...keep them???).

Wayne
Good luck with that. I have had my duplicates for sale for years for $1 a copy and have sold none....zero. nobody wants them anymore.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=62r-6vgk2_8
specializing in (only real) LS6 Chevelle restorations
Old 12-08-2019, 02:50 PM

I had hundreds and hundreds of 50's and 60's Hot rod etc-like Rick I tried to sell them for $2 each-not worth my time-I ended up donating them all along with my 70's stash to a local automotive college-they were very happy-anyone know when the last issue of Muscle Car review comes out?We have a nice magazine that only comes out 4 times a year up here
Bone Stock Muscle Cars -very good reading- www.canadianhotrods.com I think my buddy Ryan Weaver will be in an upcoming issue(get your copy early as Ryan will be buying all the stores stock out and signing them-lol!)
Keep on Cruising!
Dave
The Following User Says Thank You to Northernforce For This Useful Post:
olredalert (12-08-2019)
Old 12-08-2019, 05:20 PM

Default The Death of Magazines Today

This is a sign of the times. Everyone is EXPECTED to embrace new technology, "out with the old, in with the new" as they say. I've noticed that we, as we grow older, are not looked upon as a viable part of the purchasing populace as younger generations are. Oldies music stations that used to play songs from the fifties, sixties & seventies are now playing songs from the seventies (for now at least), eighties, & early nineties. The advertising agencies, and companies in general, target the younger generations for their products because of the sheer volume in numbers of younger people that there are. Many of the older baby boomers cannot or refuse to grasp the new technology of cell phones & other advanced technological marvels of this era. I see it everywhere. Young people losing hours upon hours of their young lives sitting in Starbucks or other 'in vogue' gathering places trolling on the internet. This method of obtaining news takes a lot longer by scrolling down through column by column of an online periodical than just paging through a magazine or newspaper, sometimes due to pop-up ads ad nauseum. As I grow older, and time is more dear to me than anything else, I have little or no patience for this waste of my days left on Earth. I will NOT view magazine articles on the net. In short, I feel the days of these discontinued magazines will continue to decline until they all go out of business. These opinions represented here are opinions of the author of this original post. Form your own conclusions. Thank you, Don.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Flying Undertaker For This Useful Post:
Arrowsmith (12-08-2019), m22mike (12-08-2019)
Old 12-08-2019, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying Undertaker View Post
This is a sign of the times. Everyone is EXPECTED to embrace new technology, "out with the old, in with the new" as they say. I've noticed that we, as we grow older, are not looked upon as a viable part of the purchasing populace as younger generations are. Oldies music stations that used to play songs from the fifties, sixties & seventies are now playing songs from the seventies (for now at least), eighties, & early nineties. The advertising agencies, and companies in general, target the younger generations for their products because of the sheer volume in numbers of younger people that there are. Many of the older baby boomers cannot or refuse to grasp the new technology of cell phones & other advanced technological marvels of this era. I see it everywhere. Young people losing hours upon hours of their young lives sitting in Starbucks or other 'in vogue' gathering places trolling on the internet. This method of obtaining news takes a lot longer by scrolling down through column by column of an online periodical than just paging through a magazine or newspaper, sometimes due to pop-up ads ad nauseum. As I grow older, and time is more dear to me than anything else, I have little or no patience for this waste of my days left on Earth. I will NOT view magazine articles on the net. In short, I feel the days of these discontinued magazines will continue to decline until they all go out of business. These opinions represented here are opinions of the author of this original post. Form your own conclusions. Thank you, Don.
So True Don, well put.
Old 12-08-2019, 05:58 PM

I just tossed all my magazines but a few. I found a friends SD in 3 Pon Enth mags. I gave them to him. Lol. My daughter said don’t leave me with all this. She’s rite.
I will never do any online magazines either. I see Motirtrend channel is pushing stream shows now, overhauling is only avail if you pay to stream. Sorry Chip, I won’t be watching. Lol

Last edited by Burd; 12-08-2019 at 06:07 PM.
Old 12-08-2019, 06:37 PM

Sad news indeed but a sign of the times unfortunately.
Most think everything on the net is free but my guess is what goes or is already digital, you'll have to pay to play.
Old 12-08-2019, 11:35 PM

I get my daily paper online now, hated the concept of it initially, but not so bad now as I'm used to it and don't have a pile of old papers to toss. You can supersize it and blow through all the garbage fast. Will I like MCR online.? Time will tell....
70 L78 Nova Fathom Blue,Bench, 4spd, F41, 3:55
71 Porsche 911 Targa
Old 12-09-2019, 11:39 AM

Thanked 1,627 Times in 482 Posts

I like reading magazines and have many old ones but you have to adapt to survive

today, people want stuff on their phones

Hot Rod with the Hot Rod Network does a pretty good job to remain relevant

https://www.hotrod.com/
Old 12-09-2019, 12:21 PM

Going to miss those magazines. One of the my sharpest memories of junior high was getting on the school bus and my best friend showing me his latest edition of Popular Hot Rodding with the title "Why Ford's Suck" on the cover. Show's you where my mind was back then. It was also exciting to see the local "hero's" Pat "Car" Crafton and Scott Sullivan with his perfect triumvirate (Covers of Hot rod, Super Chevy and Popular Hot Rodding all in the same month) getting in the magazines.
My biggest beef with the electronic editions is when they update the app, it seem's like I have to re-register and call someone to get it to work again. Since these apps seem to update once every 3 months or so its really annoying. They also seem to update for no other reason than to make the ads harder to ignore.

Last edited by BCreekDave; 12-09-2019 at 12:25 PM.
Old 12-10-2019, 02:58 AM
Yenko Advertising Member

Well Gang, today is a bittersweet day for sure which just drives home Friday's news; the January 2020 print issue of MCR arrived in my mailbox today. Bitter, because this is The Last Issue. Sweet, because I again have a personal connection to this month's (significant) issue. Like most of us here, I'll feel the void this time next month for sure.

I myself, have loved reading this mag title since the early 80s and will miss it.