Go Back   The Supercar Registry > General Discussion > Lounge

Old 12-25-2016, 08:16 PM

Thanked 5,357 Times in 1,880 Posts
Default Re: We got the call for Holly!

Thanks Jason...I just thought I would post some more of the info about Holly's journey up to this point...for those who don't already know...or would like to read it. [img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/beers.gif[/img]

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I will tell you a little a bit about my daughter, Holly.

First of all I am my daughters caregiver-along with my wife.

My daughter was diagnosed with a myocardio fibroma tumor at the age of 2 1/2 months of age in 1990-when she presented with flu like symptoms (slight fever, nausea, etc). Once we got to the pediatrician, they hooked her up to a pulse oxymeter and her saturation levels stunk and her heart rate was near 300 beats per minute. She was throwing SVT's (Supraventricular tachycardia) and the pediatrician didn't know why-so off to the Children's Hospital of Orange County we went.

After we got there, they told us that they'd be able to slow the heart rate with a &quot;brand new&quot; miracle drug called adenosine. Unfortunately, that didn't work and then they proceeded to cardiovert her 17 times to try and stop the heart...so they could start it again. Unfortunately that didn't work either-so after 19 grueling hours, they opted to use digoxin as a last hope. That worked to bring the heart rate down. It eventually spiked a few more times until they dialed in a dose that kept her SVT's under control. They ended up giving her digoxin for the atrial fibrillations and dilantin for the ventricular fibrillation (lucky there weren't may of those while in the hospital).

After she stabilized enough, they performed open chest surgery and discovered the myocardial fibroma tumor. They originally were going to perform the surgery through her back side, but at the last minute, they decided to do it through the front. That was a good call as she flat lined on the table five or six times, until the surgeon actually froze the heart muscle temporarily so he could explore what what going on with the newly discovered tumor. What they found out was that the tumor already covered more than 80 percent of her heart-so surgery to repair wasn't an option. So, they sewed her up and sent her to recovery, where we were told she wouldn't survive. We were able to get our priest that had baptized her to come and give her last rites and we were able to say our goodbyes and went to the waiting room to wait for the word that she had passed.

What happened next was unbelievable-her status did a 180 in the hour after we saw her and the doctors allowed her back up to the ICU-where she maintained critical bodily function levels-not getting much better-but also not much worse either. We went and met with the doctors at Loma Linda Hospital. The doctors there were doing experimental heart transplant surgery-but we heard that they were getting close to approving the surgery as a normal procedure that would be covered by insurance. We decided that this was the only route that we could take and give Holly any chance at survival. She was put on the national transplant list at the beginning of August of 1990.

Eventually, after 2 weeks we we allowed to go home from the Children's Hospital in mid August 1990 after learning pediatric CPR and also with a pediatric apnea/heart monitor on at all times. Mid October 1990, Holly had multiple myocardial infarction's (heart attacks) at home. I was at work and my wife called the paramedics, then called me. I arrived home about the time they scooped her up to take her back to the Children's Hospital. They did their best with the CPR, but when Holly got to the hospital, she was flat lined-again. They worked for 35 minutes to establish a normal heart rhythm then came out and told us that it might be wise to get her priest (and family) to the hospital-as it didn't look good. Again, the father who had baptized her and previously given her last rites-gave her last rites again. Again, we went to the waiting room to wait for word that she had passed away.

From what we were told, the docs refused to give up and finally after 45 minutes-they established a normal heart rhythm. This came at a slight cost-as she experienced hypoxic seizuring-due to lack of oxygen to the brain. She seized so much that they eventually put her into a Phenobarbital coma to stop the swelling on her brain. Thus, we entered into the next stage of her medical issues.

Once the brain swelling went down, they took her off of the Phenobarbital-but she didn't wake up. They chief of staff of the Neurology department did EEG scans and extensive testing of the brain and she only had basal brain functions-no upper level brain functions were present. We were taken off of the national transplant list. We were moved from the ICU to a normal floor and had the discussion with Holly's pediatrician about what was going to happen. Holly at this time was stable enough to go home in the coma, but not medically viable for a transplant. So, we would go home and wait for her to die-then we'd call the pediatrician-and he'd take care of all the particulars (coroner, etc.)

Once again, Holly surprised all of us. The day she was supposed to be discharged to go home-we were watching TV in the hospital room that we were sharing with a hydro-cephalic child and heard a screech that started all of us. It was Holly and she had her eyes open and was looking around. I ran and got the charge nurse-who promptly called the Chief of Staff of the neurology department-who did a bunch of testing and he confirmed that Holly was &quot;Back&quot; with normal brain function. She was immediately put back on the national transplant list-and was moved back upstairs to the ICU for monitoring of the heart rhythms.

We had slept at the hospital continuously for most of the time she was in the hospital. The charge nurse convinced us to spend a day at home and that Holly had the best care-so for the first time, my wife and I went home to sleep for the night. At 5 am the next morning, we got a page on our pager that they had located a heart for Holly! She was life flighted to Loma Linda Hospital for the surgery. There were issues right before transplant there-but I won't get into those here...Holly had a successful heart transplant on November 15th 1990- (just a few days after the procedure went from an experimental procedure to a standard procedure covered by insurance).

Fast forward to 2012-and the toll of taking the immunosupressant medications was starting to become apparent in Holly kidney function. Her kidney function was starting to decrease pretty steadily-and her nephrologist held out as long as he could before putting her on the transplant list for a kidney in 2013. He was able to control kidney function with a series of 13 pills and keep her off of dialysis until January of 2015. At that point, it was decided to put her on peritoneal dialysis-as she had the least chance of infection going this route. She had the surgery at the beginning of February 2015 for the PD cath-and they gave her 1 month to have that heal (due to the immonsuppreasants and reduced immune system response). The days preceding the start of her PD dialysis-she was feeling miserable and could barely walk. We were told by the on call doc that as soon as she started the PD-she'd feel better.

What ended up happening was that we went for the first dialysis session-I literally had to carry Holly into the center. Once the nurse say her-we were sent to Mayo Hospital emergency room where there put a central venous catheter in and put her into ICU-as she was extremely septic. They did dialysis 3 times before she stabilized and was moved into a non ICU room and we were able to go home. We started hemodialysis at DSI in Phoenix in March of 2015 and got so frustrated with them that we went to Fresenius in May of 2015.

Our kidney doc thought we'd be great candidates for home hemo-so we started training in mid-January of 2015. By the beginning of February on 2016 we were released to do home hemo with the NXStage system. </div></div>
Old 12-26-2016, 07:13 PM
Yenko Contributing Member

.... Wow, This is better then any Christmas movie [img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/HollyRocks.gif[/img]

... Praying for a speedy recovery for all involved.

[img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/santa.gif[/img] [img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/santa.gif[/img] [img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/santa.gif[/img]
Old 12-26-2016, 09:48 PM

supernovass would like to talk to you about a carb my number
is 610 333 3121 mike i also sent you a pm im looking for 702 8213 carb
or anyone else
Old 12-27-2016, 01:15 AM

Bruce- what an incredible story of faith and fortitude.

My thoughts and prayers are with Holly, your family and the Donor's Family - That a least a part of their child could provide life and comfort to your daughter and live on.

Please continue to keep us updated on Holly's journey back.

All the best positive thoughts and continued prayers in the New Year.
Regards,
Fred Schempp

WANTED:
1969 396/375 hp JH Vin N6352xx Mid April 69 block 272 casting
Always looking for dated L78 parts from Jan-Apr 69
Old 12-27-2016, 03:27 AM

Reading the history again makes this story even more unbelievable! That girl is destined for great things, GREAT things I tell ya! I can't wait to show her around the Big Apple!
Buddy
11 cts-v black diamond edition wagon 556hp GONE
15 camaro Z/28 white AC brand new
Old 12-27-2016, 03:53 PM

She's really looking forward to the trip to NYC [img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/smile.gif[/img] . We're at our first clinic visit today. [img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/smile.gif[/img]
Old 12-27-2016, 07:13 PM

A very brave and strong young lady.All the best to you Holly!
Old 12-30-2016, 05:18 PM

Bruce -- how is Holly doing? Craig [img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/HollyRocks.gif[/img]
Old 01-06-2017, 02:18 AM

Hi Craig and everyone...

Here's the update for Holly. Kidney function is continually improving. She's doing number one...quite a bit...and is above the daily average.

She got the CVC (Central venous catheter) taken out today. The CVC was used as the hook up for dialysis both at home and at the dialysis center...which means....NO MORE DIALYSIS!

All of her blood tests are trending in the right direction...and where they expect Holly to be. Next step is staples removed next Tuesday and stent removed next Wednesday (Oh, and a million blood tests...LOL).

[img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/youguysrock.gif[/img]
Old 01-06-2017, 02:25 AM

Great to here Bruce, thanks for the update.... [img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/HollyRocks.gif[/img]

Mike