Go Back   The Supercar Registry > General Discussion > Supercar/Musclecar Discussion

Old 03-27-2007, 02:45 AM

Default Forrest & Horne Drag Car/Ralph Forrest/Evans Chevy

I was recently reunited after 36 years with the man I bought my first car from, ('56 Corvette, silver/black coves no motor, ex-drag car, hardtop $700). Ya, I still have it, Ya, he was shocked I did. He told me he bought the car from a Salesman at Evans Chevyland, Painesville, Ohio by the name of Ralph Forrest (spelling unsure). Ralph would be about 65 yrs old, did a lot of northern Ohio drag racing and teamed up with a guy to race under "Forrest & Horne". They had a Super Stock '69 Camaro (likely one of the Evans COPO's) and possibly a Vega in '70-'71, may have had a '70 Camaro. I would like to find Ralph to see if he can answer some 36 year lingering questions about my high school car. Can anyone put me with Ralph Forrest, Northeast Ohio Drag Racer, Chevy Salesman. Thank You
Click here to view all the pictures posted in this thread...
Old 03-27-2007, 02:55 AM
Yenko Contributing Member

Thanked 2,523 Times in 1,149 Posts
Default Re: Forrest & Horne Drag Car/Ralph Forrest/Evans Chevy

Type in Forrest R in Ohio,and 3 pages of possiblities come up.
Maybe a kin in there too..
http://www.anywho.com/qry/wp_fap
Old 03-27-2007, 06:11 AM
Yenko Contributing Member

George, might be able to help you. I know a few guys that would possibly have that info. Pm me for more info.
Old 03-27-2007, 07:31 AM

George, Man I remember that Vega, it hauled a**, pretty sure Ron Hutter built the car. They would race it at Thompson all the time, I think it was dark green with the usual 70's graphics. I remember one time I was pitted near the finish line, and the Vega was flying down toward the end, (was being driven by Ron Hutter that time for testing I think) he goes though the first light at 170 mph or whatever they were turning and stands on the brakes, trips the mph at something like 80 mph. Laughed my a** off. There are quite a few people around here that are still into racing and would probably remember where Ralph is. One being Ron Hutter. He can be reached at Hutter Performance in Chardon, Ohio. If you can get ahold of him (which is sometimes difficult) he may be able to point you to someone that might have more info. I own a 68 Camaro L30M20 that came from Evans in Painesvile, am original owner. Evans was the place in its day! I have an original license plate frame on the car, would post a pic, but can't figure out how to do it. Also, you may try looking up Dale Evans, he is Earls son, I think he's still in the area. Good luck! C
Old 03-27-2007, 08:48 PM

Yes, Hutter was involved with Forrest and Horne and i am gonna get to Hutter thru a mutual Erie friend. The guy I talked about that I bought my car from in '71 is Gary Hendricson, retired Evans Chevy parts dept manager. He was there all thru Evans Drag Cars/COPOs/HI-Perf parts/Corvette days. Super nice interesting guy, still active car hobby guy too. Also.........I bought my wife a mint survivor Lemans Blue '69 Corvair Convertible, 40k miles that still has the Evans plate frame intact. I guess all I need is a '69 Chevy Step-Van and I'll have the whole line-up for that year. (Please dont call me if you know of one, I'm just about stupid enough to convince myself I need one.)