Go Back   The Supercar Registry > General Discussion > Day 2 stuff-modified cars

Old 09-25-2020, 02:55 PM
Yenko Contributing Member

Thanked 1,110 Times in 632 Posts

I've got a question about the seats. I had this conversation with my dad a little while ago when he was doing his seats. I'm wondering about sandblasting the springs. Sandblasting is similar to shot peening in some ways as it can relieve surface stress in metal. Has anyone done this and noticed that the springs were any weaker?
Old 09-25-2020, 11:15 PM

Thanked 3,399 Times in 1,242 Posts

I've always avoided sand blasting springs and was told it makes them brittle or can stretch the weaker ones. I plan to add brand new springs to the frames.
big gear head (09-26-2020)
Old 09-25-2020, 11:33 PM

So I woke up this morning to ask myself, what can be accomplished today? Made a call to Al knoch to arrange a few things and spent a half hour discussing seat upholstery and door panels. I then picked up the subframe and rear end housing after both were media blasted. I drove to town and delivered them to my welders shop. He then stitch welded the frame and properly welded the axle tubes to the rear end housing for me. I then brought them back home later in the day and cleaned up all of the slag and the welds using a few Rolox disks. Next I picked up a new TruTrac Posi carrier and another shipment that just came up from HBC. From there I dropped off my bumper for Chroming along with the stainless trim which will now be polished to perfection. After that I packed up some parts and dropped the housing and subframe back to the powder coaters so he can coat them in the coming days. I have a late pickup scheduled to go and get my Muncie M23 trans that is coming up from the states today, and after I get home from that, I'm gonna sit down and drink a few beers. The rest of the weekend is going to be wound down as some relax time. (lol) yeah right

Housing is now stripped, buffed and ready for powder coating.

The tubes were previously welded, so we cleaned them up and a friend added some professional welds to the tubes.

He also stitch welded both sides of the sub frame to strenghen and stiffen the frame.

All of the stress points were beefed up to ensure a it handles some future abuse.

After everything was sanded down and polished up, it all went back to the powder coaters.

Last edited by NorCam; 09-25-2020 at 11:36 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to NorCam For This Useful Post:
Xplantdad (09-26-2020)
Old 09-26-2020, 12:31 AM
SCR Sponsor

Thanked 3,058 Times in 900 Posts

"and after I get home from that, I'm gonna sit down and drink a few beers. The rest of the weekend is going to be wound down as some relax time. (lol) yeah right"

I LIKE THE WAY YOU TALK!
Old 09-26-2020, 03:47 AM

Right on Tim.

Got home 20 minutes ago, unpacked some parts and now I'm knocking back a couple cold ones. Bit of a long stretch here lately with a few different things in motion. You know how that is.

M23 A/G Trans with 346 Gear Package from Jeff Collins at Midwest Muncie

Last edited by NorCam; 11-19-2020 at 12:59 AM.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to NorCam For This Useful Post:
big gear head (09-26-2020), L72Chevelle (09-26-2020), X66 714 (09-26-2020)
Old 09-26-2020, 02:34 PM
Yenko Contributing Member

Thanked 1,110 Times in 632 Posts

I sent my M23 main shaft and gears to Jody Haag at Jody's Transmissions for a little tune up. He found some clearance issues and did a few things to improve oiling and shifting. I'm excited to get it back together and see how much better it works. Your guy probably did some of the same tricks to yours.
The Following User Says Thank You to big gear head For This Useful Post:
NorCam (09-26-2020)
Old 09-26-2020, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by big gear head View Post
I sent my M23 main shaft and gears to Jody Haag at Jody's Transmissions for a little tune up. He found some clearance issues and did a few things to improve oiling and shifting. I'm excited to get it back together and see how much better it works. Your guy probably did some of the same tricks to yours.
I've heard nothing but good things about Jody and did speak with him about doing a trans, but chose to go back with Jeff @ Midwest Muncie who is equally talented. I really can't wait to try out the box with this gear set.
big gear head (09-26-2020)
Old 09-28-2020, 02:42 PM

Learning all about seat restoration and GM Strato bucket frames this past weekend. It's all coming along now with the seat frames apart and ready to go out for media blasting before I paint them up. They are then being packed up and shipped off with fabric to be rebuilt and and fit with new covers by Al Knoch. Al Knoch will also be custom dyeing a set of door panels so they match the yellow Madrid vinyl colors that I purchased through SMS. These should look fantastic once everything is recovered. I still have to detail some of the original seat hardware but it's going well so far with the original buttons and locks cleaned up. Also spent some time restoring the backs of the rosewood dash pieces yesterday and repainted the black areas.

Old 09-28-2020, 02:44 PM

Learning all about seat restoration and GM Strato bucket frames this past weekend. It's all coming along now with the seat frames apart and ready to go out for media blasting before I paint them up. They are then being packed up and shipped off with fabric to be rebuilt and and fit with new covers by Al Knoch. Al Knoch will also be custom dyeing a set of door panels so they match the yellow Madrid vinyl colors that I purchased through SMS. These should look fantastic once everything is recovered. I still have to detail some of the original seat hardware but it's going well so far with the original buttons and locks cleaned up. Also spent some time restoring the backs of the rosewood dash pieces yesterday and repainted the black areas.

That rolled up package contains 8.5 yards of new seat material from SMS

big gear head (09-28-2020), cruiserofland (10-01-2020), X66 714 (09-28-2020)
Old 10-01-2020, 02:44 PM
SCR Sponsor

Thanked 3,058 Times in 900 Posts

It now is about 3 days since you posted Graeme!!!!! Stop screwing off on that Harley and get back to work......I need my fix!