Go Back   The Supercar Registry > Dealer Specific Discussion > Baldwin-Motion Performance

Old 05-20-2023, 12:14 AM

Default Super Bite suspension/ Motion- Chevelle/El Camino

I bought a 1970 SS396 El Camino, which was street raced around Knoxville, Tennessee...back in the early/mid 70's. The car was a special ordered L78, turbo 400, with a 4.10 posi rear. I have been back a couple of times to his house, and gotten more parts. He was the second owner, and bought the car in Dec. 1972, from his buddy, the first owner. He said they raced all around East Tennessee, and I got a set of stock rear lower control arms, Lakewood ladder bars along with a set of Hooker Super Comp headers. The car still has a set of tubular lower rear arms, and a set of small, tight wound, longer rear springs, with faded yellow shocks, under it. The front springs have a set of spacers under the springs. He said he went to the local speed shop in town. They ordered a drag race traction kit for him, sometime in late 1973/74, from a place up in New York. Is anyone familiar with the Super Bite Motion kits for a Chevelle/GM A-body? The arms are round, not square, like the mid/late 70's Motion ads I have seen.

Last edited by PDGarland; 05-20-2023 at 12:15 AM. Reason: add text
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PDGarland For This Useful Post:
69M22Z (05-20-2023), PeteLeathersac (05-20-2023)
Click here to view all the pictures posted in this thread...
Old 05-20-2023, 11:41 AM
Yenko Contributing Member

Thanked 2,515 Times in 1,147 Posts

Cool set up,sounds mean.Is the Elco code #14 Cortez Silver from the factory?
Love to hear more about it.
Old 05-20-2023, 07:40 PM

No Rick, it was originally code 55 Gold, black vinyl top, with a black bench seat, auto on the column, U14 gauges, cowl induction, and manual steering. Its black now. The second owner pulled the big block, but I have it, the turbo 400 and CKK rear. It now runs a 350, turbo 350 with a 2.73 10 bolt under it, and he added power steering. It was the VIN I sent you last fall, from the Leeds plane, and you didn't have anything close on paperwork. The original order dealer was Pike Chevrolet in Waverly, Ohio. Car rolled off the line 10-6-69, dealer 475 in Zone 10. Spoke to an old employee (now Hometown Chevrolet) who remembered the car, but said the old sales invoices were destroyed in a flood in the late 80's.
Old 05-20-2023, 07:56 PM

The guy I bought it from was the second owner. The first owner, was a friend of his. They came back from Vietnam early in 69, and he was supposed to go buy his wife a new family car. He went and ordered this L78 El Camino, auto, with gauges, cowl induction, and a 4.10 posi. His wife was so mad, and stayed mad at him as long as he had the car. The friend started trying to buy it, and after 3 yrs., finally did. He ran around Knoxville and raced anyone and everyone. He told me stories, and then a mutual separate friend of theirs, told me the same stories. They raced out Chapman Hwy, between Seymore, and Knoxville, and had 2 friends who were sheriff deputies. They would block the highway around 10:30pm with their patrol cars, at the Pixie drive in, (a local car hop place), and line up what cars had races that night. Both said the car I bought was never beat on the street. I spoke to another guy from up there, and he told me similar stories, but remembered the actual cars that my car raced. The area was where they filmed parts of Two Lane Blacktop, and all these guys went to the same high school together, so everyone knew each other. Two were in the film in the black LS6 El Camino. Gerald said mine was the quickest car up there and had rode in it many times.