Go Back   The Supercar Registry > General Discussion > Day 2 stuff-modified cars

Old 02-22-2013, 11:30 PM

Default Re: Traction bars

Dude, don't forget the zig zag papers, roach clips, and beer tabs.

Hope they don't start doin DNA tests on the "love stains" in the back seats. Could get ugly for some original owners.

BTW Fred did have period correct zig zag papers in his glove box. We found a bunch in the H/O Nova that we reatored a few years ago, and since he had a date coded PBR case, he had to have the papers. That outta be an extra points thingy. (big smile)
Old 02-23-2013, 04:19 AM
Yenko Contributing Member

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">A replica is still a replica Dan Try not to be offended. I stand by my opinion...You should concentrate on restoring your car instead of making it a day 2 car it never was anyway. youll like it better in the long run. </div></div>

Why? For you to then tell me its just an average Z with a cookie cutter restoration? You're point conflicts itself in and out. I don't want to hear this romanticized recount of how things were in the past. It is now 2013. I own a completely documented 1969 Z28 with all born with original components. I have modified as I would have in 1969 using period correct parts bought from your e-buddies. I chuckle at your ignorance in calling my car a replica, clone, copy, or any other synonym indicating reproduction. Still offended. I still think you're full of...
Old 02-23-2013, 12:35 PM

Now, now Dan......these are just opinions and nothing personal to anyone. When I think of Day-2 there are 2 people that come to my mind rite of way....... Don White and the other is Day-2 Dave Miller. Both have collected many parts and lived it. There are many of us older guys out there that do this and have done this but these two come to lite quickly for &quot;me&quot;. We all can do what we want to our cars and really none of it is wrong. Maybe we should shift the Day-2 discussion to a Survivor discussion and what we think that means. Schonye, that was a great addition. No repop stuff in that description.
Old 02-23-2013, 02:48 PM

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: [email protected]</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> </div></div> Go out and pound on it once and awhile. Does the heart good. [/quote]

I tried Sammy...these solid lifter big block cars run like crap in Wiscy winter...no traction in the snow either...geez, no wonder nobody wanted these cars... [img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/beers.gif[/img]
Old 02-23-2013, 04:17 PM

So in 2013, the politically correct term for a 69 chevelle restored and in day-2 trim should now be called &quot;Day-16,061&quot;

(44 yrs. times 365 days + 1 = 16,061)
Old 02-23-2013, 04:39 PM

The vast majority of the cars modified as &quot;day-2&quot; did not happen on the very second day of ownership. The transformation happened over time and evolved with changing tastes.

I guess all of these cars are day-2 clones now... LOL
Old 02-23-2013, 05:55 PM

well, I know mine is Dan. The point is the original Day-2 cars like I mentioned earlier and there are more of them out there, should demand more respect &quot;in my opinion&quot; then the ones done now with the correct parts. Jim you are right Day-16,000 for my 69 Z/28. HA!
Old 02-23-2013, 06:24 PM

I'm only using &quot;day2&quot; as an additional selling word or phrase on Ebay and other interweb spots from now on.... My Nova is a &quot;Hotrod&quot; anyway. it was a hotrod when I found it and it's a hotrod today. The only people that don't ask me what day 2 means are on about 3 forums so it really doesn't matter. the speed parts I have on my car usually get 2 responses. The older gear heads say something like &quot;thats the stuff we ran when I was your age&quot; and the younger guys usually say &quot;whats that thing&quot; or &quot;you would be a lot better off with caltracs dude&quot; ... They all look at me like I stepped off a space ship if I tell them I have to set more than one set of points....

Tommy [img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/[/img]
Old 02-23-2013, 06:36 PM

It's kinda crazy weeding through what is and isn't a legit day 2 car. When the term was first introduced to me, I thought I knew what it was. I then listened to others and realized they had a different interpretation than mine.

I don't think we'll all agree, but I'm not offended by differences in opinion here.

I don't know thr previous owners or history of my 65. I've owned it since about 1991. I don't consider it a real day 2 car. I added the crossram and vertigate shifter when I was 17 and it wasn't to fit some category or to make people like my car more. The only way it could be a day 2 car was if previous owners had modified it early on in life- like 3 years max. That is my definition. If old history on my car ever becomes available maybe I'll change my mind.

I've got the benefit of perspective from my dad's 67 Nova. It had 302 and 427 motor swaps, a name written on the car by a local artist and influenced many people on early aftermarket style...all by 1969. I'll walk a local car show, and people remember the car. Some from the 60's, some recall it a bit later when it began a sleeper theme, but it left an impression with many locals. If you don't have that, you might not have a real day 2 car.

I do enjoy these day 2 themed builds. Without a historical connection to a previous aftermarket equipment configuration, a current day 2 build is only a theme. I would like to understand those who feel differently. Without using analogies, does anyone care to share?
Old 02-23-2013, 06:44 PM

Is this car &quot;Day 2&quot; or a &quot;Day 2 clone&quot;? The previous owner put on Lakewood traction bars but painted them black, Cobra valve covers and intake manifold, 700 double pumper, tri y headers, turbo mufflers, a big solid cam, Shelby gauges under the dash, and Cragar GT wheels. This was in 1979. The only thing I did was put the stock wheels back on so I could restore the Cragar wheels. Is this a clone since it took 12 years from when it was new to put these parts on?
Attached Images