Go Back   The Supercar Registry > General Discussion > Supercar/Musclecar Discussion

Old 06-20-2012, 02:22 AM
Yenko Contributing Member

Default Re: WHAT COLOR SHOULD MY TOW TABS BE?

Just giving this another poke after seeing what Rich did with a set of tow tabs and some NMW decals. I think he may have just started a new trend on "What Color Should My Tow Tabs Be?"

[quote=Mr. Chevy]Installed some tow tabs on the Nova.....

https://www.yenko.net/ubbthreads/ubbt...opics/493753/1
Old 06-20-2012, 03:08 AM

Tow tabs in the day were made in a garage by a guy who did not have $235.00 for a trailer.. chrome tow bars perfect tabs powder coated did not exist.... In the day it was a necessity to get to the race.... today seems to be a bit more like a fasion statement... I say paint em pink with rhinestones..
Old 06-20-2012, 03:20 AM

You're right man. Just like Bias ply tires, tunnel ram, and non-overdrive manual transmissions, vintage gauges and on and on.

I'm sure some guys may have been able to afford a trailer but chose to flat tow because they didn't have the space to store a trailer, or several other good reasons. Ones with patina are really in demand.

Thanks for the kind words on them being perfect [img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/beers.gif[/img]
Old 06-23-2012, 04:43 AM

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: beater68427</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Tow tabs in the day were made in a garage by a guy who did not have $235.00 for a trailer.. chrome tow bars perfect tabs powder coated did not exist.... In the day it was a necessity to get to the race.... today seems to be a bit more like a fasion statement... I say paint em pink with rhinestones.. </div></div>

Dead on! I'm glad someone finally said this. Tow tabs in &quot;the day&quot; were not jewelry. No one was proud of them. They generally signified that you couldn't afford a trailer. If you had them, the were used. Therefore, they were beat up or generally home made.

JMHO
ND
Old 06-23-2012, 11:50 AM

So I guess from that logic, we all should put a couple dents in our restored cars, take the fresh paint out of the engine compartment, and put a few rips and tears in our re-upholstered seats.
Old 06-23-2012, 12:04 PM

As to TB color I go with black. I always go with what was popular in the day to be correct. I always refer back to those NY based mags of the 70's.Street Racer, Street Power etc which seemed like very car of the day used tabs (they were all NY based cars) and 95% were painted black. The next most popular color was white and a handful in chrome for the show cars

Never saw any of them in any other color that I can remember but being these cars are modified the greatness of this is you can paint them any color you choose and nothing is wrong..
Old 06-23-2012, 02:31 PM

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: wheelhop</div><div class="ubbcode-body">So I guess from that logic, we all should put a couple dents in our restored cars, take the fresh paint out of the engine compartment, and put a few rips and tears in our re-upholstered seats. </div></div>
No sir. I was simply applying logic to tow tabs. Interiors and paint jobs are discussed in other threads.
Old 06-26-2012, 08:56 PM

N.Y. based 70's street racers,only looked at who was Winning and Money.
Old 11-09-2012, 02:39 AM

I thought this was pretty cool. I've questioned in the past when did NMW transition from the generic tow tabs to the chassis specific ones. Here is a September 1969 article which features NMW TB28 tow tabs for a 1966-1968 Mustang.

Anyone know or feel differently about items such as early Corvette TB3 and 1967/68 Camaro TB9 <span style="font-weight: bold">NOT</span> being manufactured before the TB28s? I would guess that publishing in 1969 usually meant you actually had the magazine layout done about 3 months prior to print. I am comfortable with the idea that chassis specific tabs were around by early 1969. Maybe some of those early Part Numbers were even out in 1968! They look pretty darn nice too!

One other thing, anyone have one of those cool &quot;Super Street Cars&quot; Magazine decals for sale?

Old 11-09-2012, 04:01 AM

I have a pair of 67-68 tabs for my 1967 Mustang Fastback. I haven't installed them yet but will update when I do.