Go Back   The Supercar Registry > General Discussion > Supercar/Musclecar Discussion

Old 02-21-2020, 09:35 PM
Yenko Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthBird View Post
The spare tire deletion message is actually quite common on 1976 Firebird invoices. Just a side note, the photo posted is just the invoice, not a build sheet.

Very interesting that this car was delivered to Cochran Pontiac, a dealership that recently has gained some notoriety as it was the dealership that the very first 1970 GTO, a pilot car and a RAIV model, was sold to.

The buyer of this 1976 Formula ordered the "Rear Seat Speaker" and "Additional Acoustical Insulation" options, but only an AM Radio. They most likely were going to install an aftermarket AM/FM Stereo once they received the car. They could have simply not ordered a radio at all and saved a few bucks, but by ordering the AM Radio they got all the underdash and speaker wiring. Since many Firebird owners wanted a better stereo than what GM could provide, in 1977 Pontiac began offering a "Radio Accomadation Package" option that provided all the wiring and harnesses for an aftermarket radio without having to order a radio.

Very cool Formula by the way!

Mike
YUP. UN9 RADIO ACCOMMODATION PACKAGE. Car came with all the radio wiring / hook ups under the dash and a radio delete plate installed. I've owned a few.

On the spare tire, I have owned two survivior trans ams, a '74 and a '76 both with full size spares that had the original Uniroyal stickers still attached to the tire. Both tires Sourced by the dealership when new when the original owners looked at the space saver spare and said
"I dont want that."
Old 03-02-2020, 05:54 PM

Default Formula Update

Update: Took the Formula out last week (Saturday), put some fuel in to it and over the course of the next mile, stalled several times. I put about six gallons in it however JJ (seller) was pretty up front that the fuel was old that was in the car. The car ran well during face time inspections and face time test drives and when it arrived however after introducing new fuel in to the system, it started acting up. I pulled the fuel filter and it was filthy so I decided to go deeper just so I was not putting a band aid on a bigger problem. I siphoned most of the fuel out and it was not really fuel at this point, discolored and more debris than I could have planned.
Over this week end, I dropped the tank and it was pretty dirty inside, the filler neck has a good amount of loose scale so my thought is that when I put fuel in to it, I introduced more crap in to the fuel and it was sucking it in, stalling and then once whatever is in there moved, it would restart, enough to get about a tenth of a mile before it would pull whatever it is back down.
At this point, I am going to replace the tank, the bottom of it and the seam is not in great shape. Replacing the fuel sending unit which I knew it needed as well as the fuel pump and will make sure the lines are clear from the pump back before I do any reassembly. Will also clean out lines carb to pump.
With only 7900 miles, this was part of the plan anyway and something I wanted to do just to make sure that the whole fuel system was on par with the rest of the car.
I did send a note to the Seller in FLA and he as beyond accommodating. He said keep track of your time and the parts and he would reimburse me BUT I told him that was not necessary and that I had anticipated that I would be doing this anyway when I did the sending unit.
In fairness to the seller, I did ask about the age of the fuel and knew it had not been driven much/at all in the past year plus so did not feel like I needed to recover anything. AND yes, my error initially, I should have given the system a good check before even putting fuel in it, was just a bit over eager.
Any additional inputs on this? Replace tank, sender, fuel pump, filter and blow out lines with carb cleaner and light air pressure. Hoping the Carb is fine (it was rebuilt by a noted carb person) though that may need a going over, last piece of the puzzle.
Last question: Pontiac Parts. NPD, Classic Industries, Ames.....any suggestions on vendors or are they all mostly selling the same components? I bought a ton from NPD on my 71 Camaro SS and they were great to deal with but open to any recommendations.
Attached Images

Last edited by daleone3; 03-02-2020 at 06:20 PM. Reason: more info needed
Old 03-02-2020, 11:15 PM

Yike Dale. Nasty stuff. Glad you figured it out. Boy the underside of that Formula is sweet!!!!

Old 03-02-2020, 11:45 PM

Is there anything that could be done to that tank to make it useable?

It would be ideal to re use it for originality on such a nice car.
1970 LS6 Chevelle Matching #s Project
2001 LS1 Camaro SS SOM Stock
2008 LS3 Sierra Denali Blk Stock
Old 03-03-2020, 12:37 AM

replace all the rubber lines for sure. seen way too many burn to the ground from them getting old and splitting.
Old 03-03-2020, 12:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z15 SS 454 View Post
Is there anything that could be done to that tank to make it useable?

It would be ideal to re use it for originality on such a nice car.
Couldn’t agree more. I am going to see our local radiator guy and see what he thinks. I much prefer that route and will only replace if the tank cannot be salvaged
Old 03-03-2020, 12:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by muscle_collector View Post
replace all the rubber lines for sure. seen way too many burn to the ground from them getting old and splitting.
Will do that as well. The car has a heavy undercoating on it and interestingly enough the lines had a fair bit on them but planning on replacing it all so the delivery system is tight
Old 03-03-2020, 12:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mockingbird812 View Post
Yike Dale. Nasty stuff. Glad you figured it out. Boy the underside of that Formula is sweet!!!!
It is super solid. Scale on suspension, leafs and exposed components but probably leave it as it.
I love that it has not been fluffed and shows it’s age.
Old 03-03-2020, 06:34 PM
SCR Sponsor

Thanked 3,070 Times in 903 Posts

I recently had dove into Pontiac's (hardcore Chevrolet guy) and bounced around with some different vendors. I have had the best results with Ames so far.

I agree with you and some of the others about maintaining the original tank. But that having been said, you could be fighting an uphill battle with debris and driveability. If I were walking your shoes, I'd but a new tank and sender, replace all of the rubber components, and call it good. I don't think you would have to look back.

As far as the undercoating, I'll throw my .02 in. Not only on the 76 Trans Am I have been working on, but the 80 Z28 I have as well.............I removed the undercoating to reveal a beautiful underbody. It is some dirty BS work, but the value it will bring it certainly worth the effort. There are plenty of people on this site that have spent the time to do the same thing and as a result, there is tons of great info and advice to be had.

If you were to look up Norcam & NJSteve's threads, you'll see great advice for products and procedures to deal with the undercoating, to say nothing for surface rusted components.

One my favorite threads is this...........................
https://www.yenko.net/forum/showthread.php?t=79126

Of course, the is Greame's (Norcam) thread...........
https://www.yenko.net/forum/showthread.php?t=157610

This is a great one for dissolving rust................
https://www.yenko.net/forum/showthread.php?t=155303

Hope this helps,
Tim
Old 03-03-2020, 08:18 PM

I had purchased a new gas tank from Year One for my 69 chevelle project in about 2005. Well it took 3 years for me to finally get the car finished and at my first show the car began leaking gas.
Turned out the weld between the filler neck and the tank was cracked/faulty and it was leaking out of there. When I got home from show, I called Year One and explained the situation and they shipped me a new tank within 2 days (no charge) and told me to keep the leaky one. My point is that they honored their warranty (1 year) even though 3 years had gone by and I've always remembered that.
The Following User Says Thank You to wheelhop For This Useful Post:
PeteLeathersac (03-03-2020)