Go Back   The Supercar Registry > General Discussion > Technical & Restoration

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-14-2020, 10:00 PM
Yenko Contributing Member

Well, I had some time and did some work on the car today. I did a boiling-water-stove-test of the thermal switch for the fans, it worked, although it is supposed to come on at 200 degrees F, it did so at 210 degrees. It did stay on until about 195 degrees. I changed the location of that switch to the cylinder head and the gage temp sender returned to the intake manifold. Ran the car and it all worked. Using a laser thermometer the intake manifold never went over 170 degrees, even though the inside temp gage said 210 degrees.

The water pump does turn clockwise, so that is good. A new consideration for me. I think I'm going to dial back the fan thermal switch to around 180 and put in a 170 thermostat just to keep things a little cooler. I will also bench test the gage temp sender to see how accurate that is. I think it is off about 30-40 degrees, but will find out.

Thanks to all who responded here. I had a long talk with Shaun (Galveston) and he helped quite a bit with some of the considerations on temperatures and sending units.

It is off to the Phoenix auctions tomorrow, hope to see a few of the SYC guys out there.

Thanks again for all the input.

Phil W.
The Following User Says Thank You to Woj For This Useful Post:
Xplantdad (01-15-2020)